AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've decided to take the plunge and get the Toshiba RD-XS32. However, I want to ensure I get the latest Z11 firmware with corrections for the black bug issues.

What sites have you recently ordered this from and received the Z11 firmware? I'd like to order the unit this week before it's gone for good.

Right now I'm considering eCost ($379) and J&R ($399). Can anyone confirm whether or not these stores will ship the unit with Z11 firmware or is there a better deal out there?

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
I got mine from J&R directly over 1 month ago. ZL11 firmware, June 04 Mfg. date, #246xxxxx series. Some folks who ordered from Amazon are still getting older supply. I would stay direct with the source and pay the shipping, the only real difference.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I'd like to hear from those people who actually have a Toshiba XS32 with the Z11 firmware update.

(1) Are you happy with the unit or have you had second thoughts on the purchase?

(2) When playing Toshiba burned DVD-R in other machines is the black bug noticeable to you?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just purchased XS32 last week from onecall. It does have the Z11 firmware. I have made two discs so far and tried them on my PC and my ancient toshiba 3109 player. I did notice what people are probably calling the black level bug on the toshiba. On my PC (power dvd) it looked fine. My Projector is in the shop or I would try it on my Denon 1600. After I switched the Toshiba to enhanced black level it looked fine. I am totally happy with the purchase and love the editing features. I would say the black level is not a significant draw back when all you have to do is change one setting on your dvd player. There is not a perfect recorder out there no matter what you choose there will be some little issue.

The best thing about the XS32 is the editing features and user interface. Having just taken it out of the box I made my first DVD in about 30 minutes (not counting recording time). I was able to edit out all the commercials from part 1 of the peacekeeper wars and burn the dvd. I used some Ritek 8x media I have been using on my pc. The disc played on all my players.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Did I get that right? You successfully burned Ritek 8X (I assume -R) on the XS32? If so, that is good to know.

Can you describe what you saw as wrong when the XS32 burned DVDs were displayed on the old Toshiba player? Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Would turning the Enhanced Black on make your commercial dvds play darker though?

Does it look normal when you play it back in the xs32? Everyone seems to say (whether they think the black level bug is still there or not) that they're dvds always play back fine on the xs32. Is enhanced black turned on in the xs32 by default then?

If the xs32 plays back commercial dvds fine then shouldn't the dvds it made itself not look right when played back on it if they have the wrong IRE encoded in them?

ClarkeBar, you say that the videos made with your xs32 look fine to you, correct?

Have you tried playing something you made on another dvd player? Also, is your enhanced black turned on or off on your xs32?

It's confusing because everyone has different tvs with various calibrations that might make it hard to even notice something like the black level being off. For some, they may notice it but to them it may seem like it's not a big deal at all due to this factor.

Also, different people may have different settings on their xs32 as well as their other stand-alone dvd players which could affect their view of things.

My biggest concern would be having to set a setting just to play back anything recorded by the XS32, but then having to turn it off for everything else. That would be a pain.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steps to check your firmware...

Press the setup button on the remote (under the flap)...scroll across the top icons until the second to the last---management settings...your software version and the drive software is listed there.

·
Registered
133 Posts
1) You heard that right I am using a spindle of 100 ritek G05 8x DVD-R

2) Right that setting would reduce your brightness level by 7.5 IRE I believe. It is fairly trivial to set though, and I may play around with just calibrating the set and see how it looks.

3) The DVD looks fine played on the XS32. I am experimenting with the black level setting in the XS32 to see if it effects the recording or just the output. I think it has been found in the past the XS32 hides the issue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.