AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm about to order a Samsung plasma from Amazon, and I've never ordered anything this large, this expensive and this fragile online before.

How do they do it? DO they drop ship it from a local distributor or something?

How do I treat it when delivered? Unpack the whole thing and check for cracks? Make sure it works, etc?

What's the rule of thumb here?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
They ship it via Pilot in most cases. The carrier will contact you to arrange delivery. For me they were supposed to send 2 guys for my 50" but only one showed up. I had no issue helping, but some might. Verify who is coming if it is an issue.

They unboxed and set up and let me examine the set completely. I would have no qualms using Amazon again.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Definitely do not sign for the tv until you unpack it, inspect it for damage/cracks/defects, and turn it on to make sure it is working properly. Only after you have done all that should you sign for the tv. Some delivery guys are good about being patient and waiting for you to inspect while other may try and pressure you to sign before you have done a thorough inspection. Just remember to take your time and don't sign until you are sure the tv is working properly and free from defects/damage.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips guys... I ordered from Amazon today, so we'll see next Friday when it arrives!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Always have it taken inside, pop the top and look at the screen. If not cracked, then remove it and try to get it plugged up to something just to check its function and that there are no scratches or cracks anywhere and that it works.

Dont tear the box or any bags just in case it has to be sent back. That way, you can refuse and the same driver will take it back. Amazon should send a checklist of all that should be checked. Ask if the driver has it and make sure you use it before he leaves.

I had a samsung P-42b450 42" sent and was going to have the driver place it at my door and I was going to take care of the rest. As a last thought before he left, I said let me just look inside the box. I popped the top open, looked inside and almost did not see the cracked display. The inner glass was cracked while the outer and box was not damaged.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I am in complete agreement about opening the box and inspecting the tv. However, with a plasma during winter months, I would not immediately turn it on. I would wait until the set is at room temperature, and obviously no delivery people are going to wait that long.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I ordered from Amazon and my delivery guy from Pilot was great. 55" LCD. I inspected the box exterior but not inside. I probably should have, just didn't want to have it exposed to the pets until it was ready to go onto the stand and be secured.

As the outside temp was in the 30s, I let it sit until evening before turning on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts