AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i just picked up the Denon DHT-391XP 5.1 Channel Home Theater System with HDMI 1.4a connectivity, i will be connecting it to my 46'' hdtv, sony blu-ray player with built in wifi, hd direct tv cable box..thats all nothing else, my question is im going to pick up some hdmi cables, and im thinking 16g speaker wire to replace the factory speaker wire that comes with the system? also how about the wire for the subwoofer? should i get a better one from mono to replace the factory? if so can you suggest one to pick up..again ive never done a home theater before so i want to make sure i do it right, also ive heard alot of banana clips? i hear they are great for connecting the wires to the speakers..i see mono has about 7-8 different kinds..can you please suggest which will be best for my application? also ive heard people say for future purposes i may want to pick up some optical cable..can you please explain what this means and what optical cable's purpose is? also if theres anything else i need to pick up from mono please let me know..thank you

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Most of my cables are from monoprice (some from Blue Jeans Cable, and a few from Outlaw Audio), and I've had good luck with all of them, especially for the price.

I'm unable to find a picture of the backs of your speakers online...are the speaker connections spring clips or 5-way binding posts? On the back of the receiver, it looks like you have 5-way posts for the fronts, and spring clips for the center and surrounds. If they're clips, then banana plugs won't really work; you'd need to go with bare wire. The banana plugs are more about convenience with 5-way posts than anything else, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting those for this unit.

HTIB's rarely come with the best speaker wire, so picking up a spool of 16ga from monoprice wouldn't be a horrible idea. However, I doubt you'll hear too much difference. It wouldn't cost much to try it out, regardless. Bare wire on both ends of the speaker cables will work fine, just make sure stray wires don't touch from one connection to another on the back of the receiver.

An optical cable is used for passing Dolby Digital and DTS from a source to the receiver. However, if you're hooking everything up via HDMI, you'll get the same thing (and more, since only HDMI can pass the high-def audio codecs). If you connect your cable box via component cables (video only, red/green/blue), then you'll need an optical or coaxial cable to pass the DD surround sound. But if you're hooking up via HDMI, again, the optical/coax wouldn't be needed since HDMI passes both video and audio. Optical and coax cables are for the most part legacy connections at this point, but if you wanted to pick a few up, I wouldn't stop you. However, based on your gear it doesn't look like you'll need them.

Hope this helps a little.

Edit: I forgot to address the subwoofer cable. Your sub is powered (meaning the amp is on the sub, it's not getting driving power from the receiver). Therefore, the cable you got with the system again should be just fine. It's a low-level signal that's going from the receiver to the sub, so unless you're positioning your sub far away from your receiver (like >50'), no need to change it out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.