AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Origen AE S21T (formerly S210) is now showing up on the Origen AE product page .

Features:

- 12.1" motorized TFT touch screen display

- 1920x1080 TFT resolution support

- one piece 5mm aluminium front & sides

- 1 x 120mm exhaust fan (pre-installed)

- 2 x 90mm intake fan (pre-installed)

- 1 x 120mm optional extractor module

- front media bay, usb hub, audio & firewire

- matched optical drive bezel

- removable motherboard tray

- rubber isolation hard drive screws

- optional MCE & IR Trans module

- support for up to 10 hard drives

·
Registered
69 Posts
saw trhat today

really cool case. i'm going to buy this one for sure as a HTPC.

no need for a separate screen AND you can clone in NATIVE resolution to your projector in 1920 x 1080

anyone seen a review already ?????

·
Registered
163 Posts
Beautiful case!

I'm not one for the tft screen cases, preferring a small, low-profile look, but this is one I would consider. There's just one problem...

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to put mic/headphone/usb/1394 inputs BEHIND THE MOTORIZED SCREEN?!

Talk about a BONEHEAD design flaw! Worse than not having them at all, now you see them whenever you open the screen, and are reminded that you can't use them for any real-world conceivable use!

And the final insult of the whole thing: The entire panel that houses the ports as well as cd drive bay is one piece, so there's no easy way to replace it without having a new plate custom made for you.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight2001 /forum/post/0

My major dissapointment with the case is that the screen is not DVI input, but VGA, meaning no HDCP. So if you were going to clone, you would have to disable the screen while watching HDDVD/BluRay.

I know I'm replying to my own quote, but, there may be hope. I doubt it though. The Origen AE site states that the LCD Screen is SVGA. However, a UK Retailer says it's a DVI input. Possible HDCP?

Dwight2001

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:

I know I'm replying to my own quote, but, there may be hope. I doubt it though. The Origen AE site states that the LCD Screen is SVGA. However, a UK Retailer says it's a DVI input. Possible HDCP?

Dwight2001

* Colour - Silver

* Material Chassis - Aluminum

* Material Front Panel - Aluminum

* Front I/O - 2 x USB, 1 x 1394, 2 x Audio

* Expansion Slots - 7

* Motherboard Support - Full Atx, Micro Atx

* Drive Bays External 5.25" - 1

* Drive Bays Internal 3.5" - 10

* Width - 435

* Height - 220

* Depth - 370

* Weight - 7.5kg

* PSU Size - ATX

* Cooling System Rear - 1 x 120

* Cooling System Internal - 3 x 80mm silenc fans

* Special Features - 12" touch screen TFT, 15:9 ratio, Dvi Input, 1920 x 1080 resolution

http://www.overclock3d.net/news.php?...at_specialtech

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 /forum/post/0

I don't get the appeal of these cases with huge TFT screens either. I mean sure, it looks cool, but would you ever really use the second screen after the coolness wears off?

if you have a projector and this case for a HTPC. it is the solution for many.

so this would be the first screen and the PJ the seond just for watching movies.

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovision /forum/post/0

if you have a projector and this case for a HTPC. it is the solution for many.

so this would be the first screen and the PJ the seond just for watching movies.

So you're suggesting that lots of people are going to watch everything other than movies on a 12" display? I don't think so. It's a really nice looking case, but I don't think the premium one would have to pay to get it would be worth it as the 12" display really wouldn't be all that useful. The smaller screens that some of the other cases have are just as useful and at a lower cost.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 /forum/post/0

I don't get the appeal of these cases with huge TFT screens either. I mean sure, it looks cool, but would you ever really use the second screen after the coolness wears off?

I currently own a case with a touch screen. It's the secondary clone display. If you have a dedicated Home Theater Room with a projector and want to just look something up or see if a download is finished or check an email with out having to turn on your entire Home Theater System (Projector/Receiver), it's a perfect solution.

I'm keeping hope that these type of lcd screens will also be Vista Sideshow displays.

Also, they are cool to just look at. My Display

Dwight2001

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
I think it's an interesting design, but not very suited to HTPC usage for these reasons:

1) The DVD and the slot media and USB ports are inaccessable behind the TFT. It is indeed a boneheaded design feature.

2) I want the touchscreen at my fingertips in my viewing seat, and I want the rest of the HTPC across the room with the other equipment. I will haul my lazy carcass to my feet between movies, but many films today are delivered on TWO DVDs, so you do need the ability to load two disks and play them seamlessly. So the TFT needs to be detachable, cordless, and with 2-way wireless interface to the case.

3) More than one optical drive is required today. I would argue that the correct number is FOUR. Two conventional DVDs (see item 2 above) plus one HD-DVD plus one Blu-Ray.

4) This thing needs a rackmount option.

Interesting design - but THEY MISSED.

Gary

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy /forum/post/0

I think it's an interesting design, but not very suited to HTPC usage for these reasons:

1) The DVD and the slot media and USB ports are inaccessable behind the TFT. It is indeed a boneheaded design feature.

2) I want the touchscreen at my fingertips in my viewing seat, and I want the rest of the HTPC across the room with the other equipment. I will haul my lazy carcass to my feet between movies, but many films today are delivered on TWO DVDs, so you do need the ability to load two disks and play them seamlessly. So the TFT needs to be detachable, cordless, and with 2-way wireless interface to the case.

3) More than one optical drive is required today. I would argue that the correct number is FOUR. Two conventional DVDs (see item 2 above) plus one HD-DVD plus one Blu-Ray.

4) This thing needs a rackmount option.

Interesting design - but THEY MISSED.

Gary

1 : i like the idea of all those things behind the TFT. looks much cleener to me.

i do not need them anyway since all those connections i have on my server of normal pc.

2 : tell me a HTPC case that have those options and i will be buying that one.

there is none so TO DATE this is the best looking case IMHO.

3 : i like to have those external so a non-issue for me.

4 : non issue

as you see it depends on the person is they MISSED or NOT.

as soon as i can pre-order one overhere in Holland i will.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr /forum/post/0

So you're suggesting that lots of people are going to watch everything other than movies on a 12" display? I don't think so. It's a really nice looking case, but I don't think the premium one would have to pay to get it would be worth it as the 12" display really wouldn't be all that useful. The smaller screens that some of the other cases have are just as useful and at a lower cost.

no see the input of Dwight2001 below :

Quote:

I currently own a case with a touch screen. It's the secondary clone display. If you have a dedicated Home Theater Room with a projector and want to just look something up or see if a download is finished or check an email with out having to turn on your entire Home Theater System (Projector/Receiver), it's a perfect solution.

I'm keeping hope that these type of lcd screens will also be Vista Sideshow displays.

Also, they are cool to just look at. My Display

Dwight2001

·
Registered
69 Posts

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,233 Posts

Quote:

no see the input of Dwight2001 below :

I was responding to your post, not Dwight2001's. You said "this would be the first screen and the PJ the seond just for watching movies." and I interpreted that as you saying you would watch everything but movies on the 12" screen.

I agree with Dwight2001's comments about where a built in screen would be useful (checking downloads, etc.) and there's no need for a 12" built in screen to accomplish what he's suggesting.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts

Quote:

the native resolution of the screen seems to be :

Resolution 2048 X 2048

this is stated in the touchpanel controller manual http://www.origenae.com/downloads/ma..._XP-v4.0.2.pdf

or is this the max resolution that the controller can handle ?

I doubt a 12" screen has yet been made, that is capable of doing 2048x2048, let alone one on an HTPC case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anyone have any hands on experience with these? I have 2 but am having a problem with the touch screen in 1080i mode.

As you can see, when I set it to 1920x180 in clone mode, I get these black bars on the left side. No adjusting can fix it, either. Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.