1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  nidi 
#1 ·
You could easily see the blend in this system, enjoy

See less See more
#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger /forum/post/12944160

You could easily see the blend in this system, enjoy

Hmmm - a makeshft PC blend with an nvidia card and two CRT's has much better uniformity than that.

This was, IMO, an ill-conceived system that vanished fast due to shortcomings with regard to quality and complexity. Still fascinating to watch, though.

It is too bad that its successor Ultra Panavision 70 (coined single strip cinerama) vanished much too fast after only 10 major films were made in the process.

#6 ·
But is it the original blend system? There's Abe Gance's Napoleon which used three projectors side by side during its climatic battle scene. Now that's widescreen! I forget the name for this. I don't know how this was accomplished in a theater as most of the film was the standard ratio (1.37:1).

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchuf /forum/post/12945646

How can anyone watch that???

Terry

I wonder if it really looked like that long ago though? I would imagine showing old films would be much worse for blend than the same presentation when it was brand new.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan halvorson /forum/post/12951682

But is it the original blend system? There's Abe Gance's Napoleon which used three projectors side by side during its climatic battle scene. Now that's widescreen! I forget the name for this. I don't know how this was accomplished in a theater as most of the film was the standard ratio (1.37:1).

it was called Triptych and had a n AR of 4:1 !

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVonse /forum/post/12973648

I wonder if it really looked like that long ago though? I would imagine showing old films would be much worse for blend than the same presentation when it was brand new.

it depends on how the projectors are positioned and how well the Gigolo's

(comb like mechanical rotating teeth) were positioned.

if anyone want's to see such a film come to the WideScreen Weekend Film

Festival in Bradford UK this March (link a few posts above)

the early Cinerama films had bad blend lines but the 'newer' ones (like Windjammer which was in a different system called Cinemiracle) hardly had any. the projectionists even it out during the show , one each at the A and C projectors swivel them into position

Michael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.