AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1997 Energy Take5 speakers have a high pass 90hz crossover. Where should I set the crossover on my receiver? They are set to small but i can also choose the crossover. Should it be 80hz or 90hz or 100hz or higher? (the crossover knob on my sub is turned up all the way)

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Judging from the information on their website if the Original Takes are of the same specs as the Take Classics I would say 120hz

Because the Satelites only go as low as 115hz and the center only goes as low as 110hz

You generally want alittle over lap in the frequency range so it is not a direct cut

Edit: If I am reading it right and your Take 5's are rated to go as low as 90hz, set your reciever cross-over to 100hz

·
Registered
811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/18288753

Edit: If I am reading it right and your Take 5's are rated to go as low as 90hz, set your reciever cross-over to 100hz

I don't have Take5s, but I'm guessing they have the 90hz high pass so that the woofers are protected from having to play low frequencies since the driver is relatively small. With that in mind, I would not assume that the -3db point is also 90hz. It could very well be higher. Just FWIW.

Your original instincts were probably correct.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Wadian /forum/post/18289491

Then should I set the crossover at 100hz?

Set it to 100hz and then play with it raising it to up to 120hz and see which hands

What are the size of your drivers of your Energy speakers?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Wadian /forum/post/18289706

The drivers are 3.5 inches.

100hz would be a safe bet... You could also send an email to the folks and energy and see what they tell you

If it feels like your missing some sounds you can always raise up the the crossover

EDIT: If your speakers look like they are of this design( http://www.amazon.com/Energy-5-Piece.../dp/B000B647F2 ), 100hz would be proper crossover

·
Registered
29,190 Posts
The picture in that link is actually the Take 5.2 which is the second version of the Take series. I have the original Take 5 speakers and they look like this.

Those are Athena Point 5's on the bottom.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts