AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Unfortunately, Night Of Dark Shadows is only the theatrical cut. Still, nice to see especially House finally make it to Blu-ray as it completely skipped the dvd era.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Watched House Of Dark Shadows tonight on Blu-ray. I was very surprised how good this release looks. Maybe a bit of black crush but compared to the very old VHS and later Laserdisc release (which was fairly collectible up until now), this transfer absolutely blows them out of the water. The photography is hit and miss, often some scenes are so murky and dark, figures just disappear intended or not (well, it IS House Of Dark Shadows, lol!) and early in the movie, there's a really bad lens flare off a character's flashlight that would make J.J. Abrams envious but all considered, the source used for this release looks outstanding for what it is and there doesn't appear to be any obtrusive digital tampering. There's subtitles and the only extra is a trailer but fans of this movie should be very pleased with the results.

As for the movie itself, it's literally been decades since I last watched it as I sold my old laserdisc in the dawn of the dvd era thinking it would see a release which never happened. Thus, time hasn't been too kind, imo. It really plods along with an occasional bit of action in-between long, talky stretches and it looks very much a product of a tv production. Dan Curtis' direction dates this movie most of all - lots of odd angles, hard zooms, hand-held pov shots, etc. Still, Jonathan Fridd as Barnabas is one of the better classic vampire characters and his performance makes this movie worth at least a look. That said, I doubt I'll bother with "Night of Dark Shadows" as that one I remember as being extremely dull and obviously doesn't feature Collins or vampires at all.

I really hope we'll get other MGM cult gems like The Fearless Vampire Killers in similar quality sooner rather than later.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts