AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have subscribed to DirecTV for several years now and am currently using an HR10-250 and an R10 with a self-installed AT9 5 LNB dish. This gives me great flexibility with a total of 4 independent tuners. I'm considering Fiber Optic Television.

All TV signals originate from various satellites in the geostationary orbit and are downlinked to cable companies and other service providers for redistribution to their customers. In the case of cable companies they have an "antenna farm" full of many satellite dishes to receive the multitude of program networks.

Specific question: I live in Plano, Texas where Verizon is a big FIOS service provider. Do they have their own "antenna farm" for downlinking TV signals or do they obtain signals from another source? I would think not from local cable TWC because they are a competitor. But somewhere in the chain there has to be a satellite downlink they use. Where is it?

Anyone with knowledge? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool1986 /forum/post/0

Do they have their own "antenna farm" for downlinking TV signals...

Yes.

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
Temple Terrace Florida and Bloomington Illinois.

Verizon refers to them as Super Head Ends.

Temple Terrace is SHE-1

Bloomington is SHE-2

Either head is can supply the programming to any of the FIOS systems around the USA - thus if one goes down the other immediately takes over - giving it a redudancy not found in cable.

Check here for some pictures:

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/12/06/Bu...s_TV_ser.shtml

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Wonder if those phone numbers in the photos are still valid
?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.