AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Today I picked the 3 yrs old vtf-3 and sub looks like in good condition and my system is almost done with the following config:

2 Athena B1

1 Athena C1

2 Athena S.5

HSU VTF-3

Onkyo 501

The origional owner was using the crossover on the sub and it was working great but I search on the forum and found numerous receommendation on switching off the crossover at sub and let the receiever do the work so I set off the crossover on subwoofer and set the speakers and subwoofer at 80hz. I used Radioshack meter and tune everything(speakers+subwoofer) to 75lbs (gain at 12am on subwoofer and 0dbs on receiever to make it 75dbs). Also i am keeping the phase setting at 0 and using rca input on subwoofer.

Now i can see 2 issues with the setup:

I am not getting much bass/output from the subwoofer, What different options should i try? Also Which movie can i try to test the subwoofer.

Also it is mention that when receiver will go off this sub will also be off but i can still see green light on subwoofer even after switching off the receiever for 2 hrs, What can be the possible issue?

Thanks

--rubs

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubs /forum/post/0

The origional owner was using the crossover on the sub and it was working great but I search on the forum and found numerous receommendation on switching off the crossover at sub and let the receiever do the work so I set off the crossover on subwoofer and set the speakers and subwoofer at 80hz. I used Radioshack meter and tune everything(speakers+subwoofer) to 75lbs (gain at 12am on subwoofer and 0dbs on receiever to make it 75dbs). Also i am keeping the phase setting at 0 and using rca input on subwoofer.

Now i can see 2 issues with the setup:

I am not getting much bass/output from the subwoofer, What different options should i try? Also Which movie can i try to test the subwoofer.

Also it is mention that when receiver will go off this sub will also be off but i can still see green light on subwoofer even after switching off the receiever for 2 hrs, What can be the possible issue?

Thanks

--rubs

Have you properly placed your subwoofer? Though you have level matched your subwoofer and speakers, you may have a null (freqency dip) causing you to not perceive bass. The following guide was useful to me: Bossobass Guide to Setting Up Your Subwoofer . It also instructs you how to measure your in room frequency response (or use RoomEq)

Also, a lot of people run their subwoofers a couple of decibels hot. This will require some experimentation on your part. Also, fool around with the crossover (i.e. set it to 90Hz) to see if you get a better result.

As far as test scenes, check this thread out: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post8394351

As far as the subwoofers green light, you might want to ask HSU themselves.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
jhan1000's suggestions pretty well cover the basics.

I'm not sure I understand what you have already tried., but I'd play with the phase setting and crossover if you haven't already.

When checking out a Hsu with a SMS-1, I was astonished to discover that I got a smoother response with both the speaker and receiver's crossover engaged. This goes against anything I thought I knew and is probably an anomaly in my room, but it goes to demonstrate that experimentation is often in order.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I agree, experimentation is the key and there are no quick fixes.

The HSU should be be a killer subwoofer, unless you trying to use it to fill a 8000 cubic feet room.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.