AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't been as big of a baseball fan since converting to a major football fan 4 years ago. It also doesn't help that the Orioles have been horrible for some time.

HOWEVER, that may all change, as I experienced my first Orioles game on Comcast Sportsnet in HD! IT WAS AMAZING!!! Very impressed with the PQ ... even the graphics looked incredibly sharp on my 92" screen.

Can't wait to see some football games in HD this fall. I only hope that they look as good as Comcast Sportsnet.

The only thing I noticed on the negative side were audio drop-outs. But they only seem to occur for a few moments after I have switched channels. I also believe this happens on every HDTV channel. (Perhaps this is fodder for a seperate post in one of the more technical topics.)

Anyone else catch the game? What did you think?

-Tim

·
Registered
220 Posts
Tim,

How are you seeing the HDTV broacast? Cable?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
CSN-HD in the DC/Baltimore area...

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Oh, I should state it's Cable. CSN does not offer it's services to Direct-TV or E*.

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
They did broadcast a Wizards game in April Over the Air on WB50 in HDTV. I'm hoping to see that happen on day for the orioles. I just don't know who would carry it? Pax66 I can't get Digital, WNUV I can't get Digital. WJZ-DT I can get, so it would have to be them.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I would love to watch baseball in HD. I have D* and as far as I know they don't offer any HD baseball except what is on HDNET which is not much. We have Comcast in Sacramento but I'm sure they don't have a Sportsnet in HD. What is CSN-HD and are you sure Comcast has an HD sports net?

I agree all sports look unbelievably good in HD. It is a great disappointment that more is not offered. I know ESPN has a new HD network but no one seems to carry it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
What is CSN-HD and are you sure Comcast has an HD sports net?
CSN= Comcast Sports Net High Definition.

Yes, I'm sure, considering I watched it last night. ;)

I believe CSN only exists on the east coast, and possibly just the Philadelphia and Baltimore markets.

They do a *LOT* of initial releases and test-markets in the Mid-Atlantic region (Baltimore/DC/Philly) for some reason. (We were the first with the advanced phone features as well.) So maybe it's on the way out to you at some point.

Take care,

Tim

·
Registered
532 Posts
Philadelphia usually gets new services since it is the Corporate HQ for Comcast.

I'm tempted to switch to get CSN but I have a lot of money invested in DirecTV equipment. It gets more and more tempting every time I hear how great the Orioles/Wizards/Capitals games look in HD on CSN-HD.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll consider myself lucky when I can watch every single Raven's game in HD. ;) The games I'm not at that is! :)

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Don't call us lucky quite yet. We here in the actual confines of Baltimore City will probably never see the light of CSN-HD. For some reason Comcast has no real interest in expanding digital anything here. It's content of sitting back and collecting it's money.

Not that I consider D* any better right now.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They're probably afraid to get out of their trucks or have their equipment ripped off in the city. Even the Inner Harbor isn't safe anymore.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lewis:

Sure thing. Tuesday is the next game being broadcast in HD. (I missed Saturdays.) I'll try to get a shot that not only shows a player(s) but also somenice lower-third graphics. Shouldn't be to hard.

-Tim

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I also saw part of the game - but not a baseball fan. Just wish they would do a DC United game.

BTW they have just the one HD truck that travels between Baltimore and Philly for the HD Sportsnet.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Timteo I agree with you tha tthe Orioles broadcast was terrific. Too bad it was Detroit and they lost both games. My question regards audio/video dropouts on their HDTV broadcasts. I get them frequently on HBO and SHO. Since I have a new tv I thought it might possibly be the component inputs for the tv but the audio droputs eliminates this.

What is your experience with HDTV dropouts with Comcast? We have Science Atlantic boxes here in Reston. The repair rep is coming by today.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have an SA box (the 3300HD I believe) as well. I also have frequent dropouts on HBO and SHO.

*HOWEVER*, they seem to only happen when I first switch to the channel. After a minute (often less) or so, they completely disappear. Oh, and it's only audio drop outs for the most part. OCCASSIONALLY I get a video drop out here and there, but nothing too bad so far.

-Tim

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.