AVS Forum banner

3521 - 3524 of 3524 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Got any high-rise hotels or condos around you? Eyeballing that using Google Earth, it appears you have some condo towers just across the intercoastal. Maybe something else, nearby. I'm wondering if you're getting some multipath from somewhere. Your antenna doesn't have much of a directional VHF component, while your attic antenna (if I Googled the correct one) is very directional and likely rejects that multipath.
I'm between Ridgewood and Nova, so the condos' effect would be marginal at best.

That is indeed the mighty VIP-307SR - registers two bars for WESH on the Hisense TV. Back in the analog days you could pull a very clear WESH (Channel 2) here with nothing but the twinlead in the walls. This is the COL for them but it's now the weakest major network signal, even with the repeater on 18 in western Volusia County.

And yes, there's enough of WESH coming off the RCA to wreck the signal when you combine the two antennas. You could play the Jointenna game, but I'm thinking you need either an antenna with a more directional VHF-Hi component, or ditch the RCA, get a good UHF-only and combine it with the Wade, either using the 7777 or a UHF-VHF separator/combiner. Your RabbitEars report shows WESH with just a fair signal to begin with. A little more directionality might overcome both issues.

My advice, as always, is to start cheap and keep receipts.
I have a NOS Jointenna for Channel 12 (prior location,) but haven't been able to find any more. I'd prefer to retain the RCA if possible, it has a low profile and provides excellent reception for the UHF stations.

How far away from the VIP-307SR would a Hi-VHF or cut Channel 11 antenna need to be?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thinking I'll start cheap as you say and see if a UVSJ will do the job.

Perhaps one of these between the RCA and the 7777, set up for -30db on channels 11 and 7?

3521 - 3524 of 3524 Posts