AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't see a thread on this movie yet so I felt compelled.


Okay, I saw Orphan over the weekend and I can honestly say that this could be the most disturbing movie I have ever seen. Now, I'm not the kind of guy who gets creeped out very easily. In fact, horrors/thrillers that go out of their way to disturb you are often times my favorite flicks. But this one.....I mean I was cringing in my seat throughout the majority of it. I still enjoyed the movie very much (don't get me wrong) and I can't stop thinking about it; even after 3 days have gone by. Without giving anything away, the story is very interesting and original. I have never seen a movie go to these lengths to "shock" you and make you uneasy with the things that are occurring. There are your standard drawbacks, like with any movie within this genre, but this one....... I don't know how to explain it.......it really leaves a lasting impression. The way the story plays out may not sit well with certain people but it certainly worked for me. Orphan will find a place in my blu-ray collection once its released, no doubt about that.


Any other thoughts out there???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,194 Posts
I had no interest in this one, but your comments lead me to "Save" it for eventual bD release from Netflix. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's certainly not disturbing in a Hostel way so I'll lean towards "scary". Honestly though, this movie is fairly unique in its story and the ways it tries to be disturbing. I went into the movie going on what I had seen in the trailers. I was not expecting what ensued once we were there. "Evil" kids is nothing new in the horror genre, but this one takes it farther than anything I have seen before. I did notice that the trailer I saw last night gave more of the story away than I had seen in past trailers. So, it's possible that other folks will not be as "shocked" as I was. Either way, this one is definitely worth a look as a rental at the very least.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay Art, here's a little something to pique your interest....or not



I have never used spoilers before, so I hope this works......


1.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) There's just something about a 9 year old girl repeatedly stabbing and bludgeoning people that makes me uneasy. The director did not hold back at all in these scenes. I assure you.



2.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Of course there's a twist. This is no longer a secret since the new trailer makes it a point to tell us about it. But this one is very unique. Some may find it a tad unbelievable but I know first hand that it is not that far out of the realm of possibility. The twist certainly explains the reasoning behind some of the small details in the film.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed /forum/post/16907126


It's certainly not disturbing in a Hostel way so I'll lean towards "scary". Honestly though, this movie is fairly unique in its story and the ways it tries to be disturbing. I went into the movie going on what I had seen in the trailers. I was not expecting what ensued once we were there. "Evil" kids is nothing new in the horror genre, but this one takes it farther than anything I have seen before. I did notice that the trailer I saw last night gave more of the story away than I had seen in past trailers. So, it's possible that other folks will not be as "shocked" as I was. Either way, this one is definitely worth a look as a rental at the very least.

I wasn't sure after the trailer... But thanks to your comments about the film, you can be sure I'm gonna see this one very soon. As alway with this kind of movies though, I will be alone, since my wife isn't fond of the "scary" ones...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kensmith48 /forum/post/16910840


I haven't seen this movie except the trailer but it seemed to me to be "Omen" with a girl.

On the surface, it certainly appears that way. That is mostly what I was expecting as well. But thanks to a lengthy HD Net trailer that I saw a few months back, I knew that there was a little more to this movie than your typical "Omen" flick. Either way, I was not prepared for what it actually turned out to be. I sent a coworker out to see it with his wife and all he could say to me today was "Wow". He went on about how twisted it was and how they (including his wife) had a great time. In fact, she insisted that they add it to their collection once it comes out on disc.


Am I the only one here that has seen this movie? I would love to trade thoughts about it with someone, via spoilers of course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed /forum/post/16914709


Am I the only one here that has seen this movie? I would love to trade thoughts about it with someone, via spoilers of course.


Saw it today and throughly enjoyed it. Loved the twist, did not see that coming and for me it elevated this film to a higher level. Although there were some things that took me out of the film such as the cheap 'jump' scares, etc at the beginning. Also, one big mistake that just about ruined the film for me was,
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) unless I'm mistaken. the revolver was fired SEVEN times!



But more important was the acting of 'Isabelle Fuhrman' (who also played 'Grasshopper' in " Hounddog ")! Absolutely amazing! Definitely Oscar worthy! If you are on the fence about this movie you should see it,if for no other reason, to see the wonderful performance of Isabelle Fuhrman. Keep in mind she was only 10 or 11 years old when this movie was made.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss /forum/post/16950976


Saw it today and throughly enjoyed it. Loved the twist, did not see that coming and for me it elevated this film to a higher level. Although there were some things that took me out of the film such as the cheap 'jump' scares, etc at the beginning. Also, one big mistake that just about ruined the film for me was,
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) unless I'm mistaken. the revolver was fired SEVEN times!



But more important was the acting of 'Isabelle Fuhrman' (who also played 'Grasshopper' in " Hounddog ")! Absolutely amazing! Definitely Oscar worthy! If you are on the fence about this movie you should see it,if for no other reason, to see the wonderful performance of Isabelle Fuhrman. Keep in mind she was only 10 or 11 years old when this movie was made.

No doubt about Fuhrman's performance! It absolutely made the movie. I rarely post on this site and I have only started a couple of threads since becoming a member, but I was so affected by this movie that I HAD to invoke some discussion about it. It really is unlike anything I have seen before (in a good way).


In regards to your spoiler:


You were actually counting?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed /forum/post/16954254


In regards to your spoiler:


You were actually counting?

Yea, it's something I do unconsciously, especially in movies. I was expecting
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Ester to empty the revolver and then 'Kate' ( Vera Farmiga ), who also should have been counting, would know the revolver was empty and attack Ester. But that didn't happen. So my next thought was Kate would get the revolver and try to shoot Ester (because she wasn't counting and did not know it was empty). Although this did happen, the revolver was knocked out of Kate's hand before she had a chance to attempt to fire it. When 'Max' ( Aryana Engineer - who, BTW, is hearing-impaired in real-life and also gave a commendable performance) picked up the gun I thought "Well at least it's empty and she won't shoot her mother trying to shoot Ester" - BAM, I was surprised! A seventh round? This took me out of the moment because all I could think about was wishing I could rewind to see if I had miscounted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,221 Posts
Saw this one last week.... absolutely brilliant movie with a marvelous finale. I went into this one kinda feeling like I had seen this done several times before over the years.... however, this movie has not been done before.


I highly recommend this one.



Also, Airboss... I also noticed that glitch as I count subconsciously also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz /forum/post/16958382


...

Also, Airboss... I also noticed that glitch as I count subconsciously also.


Thanks tattootearz, I was wondering if I had miscounted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattootearz /forum/post/16958382


Saw this one last week.... absolutely brilliant movie with a marvelous finale. I went into this one kinda feeling like I had seen this done several times before over the years.... however, this movie has not been done before.


I highly recommend this one.



Also, Airboss... I also noticed that glitch as I count subconsciously also.

Okay guys...it has been a few weeks now so my memory of the fine details may be lacking.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Was there a possibility of reloading at some point during that sequence?



On another note, one of the craziest/coolest parts of the movie (IMO) was when
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) her father was turning the black light on/off and he noticed what she had really been painting that whole time. I'm almost ashamed to admit that I got the chills.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed /forum/post/16959794


Okay guys...it has been a few weeks now so my memory of the fine details may be lacking.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Was there a possibility of reloading at some point during that sequence?

Nope,
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) no reloading. She did not have any extra rounds. When she first found the revolver it was sitting by itself in the safe with a book or something beside it (no ammo box). So unless it was an eight round revolver (and I think I would have noticed that also) it's a screw up.


She fired one shot at Kate through the glass, then she fired a total of five rounds in the greenhouse room (I think 3 at Max and 2 at Kate on the roof of the greenhouse room or 4 at Max and 1 at Kate on the roof - either way Ester fired 5 rounds in the greenhouse, for a total of six rounds fired). After that Kate crashed down through the roof and landed ontop of Ester and the gun fell out of Ester's hand.


The seventh round (fired from the leaf covered knoll
) was when Max shot into the frozen lake/pond/river/whatever it was and cracked the ice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloCreed /forum/post/16959794


On another note, one of the craziest/coolest parts of the movie (IMO) was when
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) her father was turning the black light on/off and he noticed what she had really been painting that whole time. I'm almost ashamed to admit that I got the chills.

Yea, that was pretty cool, especially when the extend and content of the
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) images was revealed.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top