Hello,

I'm currently setting up a htpc running on XP and linux, here is the system:

Antec NSK2480 Desktop case + Antec Multimedia Station Elite

GigaByte GA-E7AUM-DS2H

Intel Dual Core E5200

Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1TB

Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X4096-6400C5/G 4GB Kit 800Mhz

connected to Sony 40W4000 via HDMI.

I noticed that quite a non-negligable number of forum members running vista, and it is the recommended os in renethx's guide...

so as I have a oem version, I was wondering if I should switch.

Any comment?

thanks

vini

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Vista Media Center is a significant improvement over XP Media Center and the upgrade to Vista is, IMHO, worth it for the improvements to Media Center alone.

If you are in Europe or Japan, then Vista TV Pack also offers some further improvements, though these are less significant in the US (as TV Pack was as much about bringing European and Japanese support up to the US level as much as anything else - though supporting interactive TV broadcasts/digital text in Europe was a nice addition)

Vista Media Center is probably the easiest system to run - and Linux is a bit of a non-starter for Blu-ray and HD-DVD unless you have a powerful set-up. If you want to try something different then MythTV under Linux or SageTV or Media Portal under XP (or Vista) are also worth trying.

Personally I played with Myth and Media Portal, but didn't have the time to invest in tweaking them to do what I want. Vista Media Center with TV Pack and MyMovies does just what I want - and has been pretty solid.

(Best advice I have is treat your HTPC like a VCR or DVD player. Don't install more software than you need, and don't use it for stuff other than TV and DVD/BD viewing and you'll be alright)

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronl /forum/post/15482512

hi, I have 2 htpcs - 1 with vista and 1 with xp.

The xp htpc is much more stable.

CaM

Yep - though if you keep things simple, Vista is also pretty stable (though TV Pack and the H264 DLL can cause a few more wobbles - though they add a lot of functionality for users outside the US).

I've had no major problems with two Vista 32 bit installations - though they just have Vista (one Home Premium, one Ultimate), AVG Free, AnyDVD HD, Virtual Clone Drive, My Movies and Total Media Theater installed and almost nothing else - oh, apart from iTunes.

I think the key thing about any HTPC is to treat it as a bit of CE electronics, not a PC. Don't install loads of shareware, toolbars, and other software, just keep it to the bare minimum required to do what you need.

I also had very few problems with an XP MCE 2005 set-up prior to this - though I prefer VMC to XP MCE in UI terms.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your replies.

I indeed will keep it simple. For now, just HD playback is the main function. not sure I will purchase a Bluray device in the near future. will not use it for music as the only audio output I have is via HDMI through TV and My music system is limited to a Yamaha E810.

thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts