AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, there are a few areas in my basement where if I used OSB instead of 5/8" for the first layer, it would make my life easier.

Why?

I would need to frame as many 2x4s for the soffit vents, and that would gain me head room. A 3/4" OSB would be much stronger (and heavier) than drywall and allow me to go under the HVAC vents without having to run 2x4s under it. It would also remove the need to run additional spacer blocks in the soffit to connect drywall to.

Is this ok? Is it ok to GG 5/8" to OSB? Is there a loss in sound reduction?

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Others may want to chime in here but, I feel it is ok and will do the same thing. In my basement I will have to create a real soffit on one side of my theater & outside the theater in a hallway is the main trunk of the HVAC that I will have to span close to 3ft. I'm hoping I can span that distance with 3/4" OSB or the like without building a structure underneath the main duct.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Great idea. You can shoot a screw anywhere and hit paydirt

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White /forum/post/15455013

Great idea. You can shoot a screw anywhere and hit paydirt

Cool - I was concerned about loss of sound dampening, but I'll proceed! Thanks!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I did this exact same thing, except I used OSB everywhere in the ceiling, in the entire basement, then GG and DW.

I asked the soundproofing company guys this question and they said OSB has similar mass as DW, so it would serve the same purpose. It's all about Mass.

Old.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Yep

·
Registered
146 Posts
I plan on using OSB on my soffits of the HT. It serves a dual purpose for me. Mass and an easy place to nail crown molding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.