AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was really hoping Sean Astin would get a nod for Return of the King. It seems the Academy does not go for positive roles. Most awards are given to psychopaths (Lecter), idiots (Rain Man, Gump), victims of depression and crime (Berry), sneering villians (Zeta-Jones) and general non-conformists. I thought Sean Astin showed movie audiences what a great friend can be and he was truly inspiring.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I'm not too impressed. I liked Holly Hunter in Thirteen and Charlize in Monster.

Lord of the Rings should sweep I hope.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Return of the King nominated for 11 Oscar categories :)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Osama won best foreign film golden globe but isn't nominated for an Oscar. bad title? :D

Sean

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Huh, it looks like 95% of it is a repeat of the smaller (more respectable) Golden Globes.

If history is any indication, the Globes winners have their 70-80% chance of repeating with their Oscar.

Murry will win. (I hope. He's a sarcastic god to me) His Golden Globe speech was Oscar worthy all on it's own.

And Jackson and Rings will finally get their due.

·
Registered
728 Posts
LOtR- ROtK has won one Oscar already in the Scientific and Engineering category: "To Stephen Regelous for the design and development of "Massive," the autonomous agent animation system used for the battle sequences in THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy."

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'd say the only real surprise has to be Johnny Dep for Pirates. Personally I found the performance entertaining but definitely not anywhere near his finest nor Oscar worthy.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I am hoping ROTK does win, though I have my doubts. I am glad that Kidman was not nominated for any, most annoying actress in my books.

I will always remember Shawshank getting snubbed for the crass Gump, still a mystery to me!!

Mark

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
ROTK gets 11 nominations (all non-acting) but not for cinematography. Odd.

It's got the most momentum and, I think, definitely deserves the directing and picture nod for it's achievement. I had been thinking that today's Hollywood wouldn't award it's ultimate honor to any film that gave so much work to another country, but the international flavor of so many of the categories disputes that so far.

BTW, I suppose I'm one of those cretins who believes that, yes, Ordinary People and, yes, Forrest Gump will still be pleasing, impressing and affecting audiences more than Raging Bull, The Elephant Man, The Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction decades from now and that the Academy got it right both of those years.

:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
The ROTK doesnt stand a chance! Why? Because the academy has suddenly found a sense of humor (see Bill Murray's Golden Globe nod), which should give "Lost in Translation" the leg up. "I've got a bad feeling about this."-Han Solo

Juan

·
Registered
631 Posts
My biggest issue with Gump was the fact that it pummeled you with how it wanted you to feel instead of letting you figure it out yourself. I have an immediate dislike of movies that do that.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
It's the old chestnut

What do I want to win - Mystic River

What will win - LOTR

As for Sean Astin, I'd pefer Andy Serkis!

Thrilled that In America, City Of God, Lost In Translation, Monster, 21 Grams and House of Sand and Fog were all recognized. I thought they did a good job this year.

Rob

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Buena Vista has pushed back City of God on DVD til June now do to the nod. Too bad, I was looking forward to seeing that one.

Also, I was a bit disappointed that Open Range didn't get a nod in a few categories including: cinematography, sound, sound design.

I wouldn't have been disappointed with a nod to Duvall either, he had a great role in the film.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.