AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is still format separation (Isn't that a much nicer term?) until Universal and Paramount say otherwise.

Here are the nominees for this year's Academy Awards.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/oscar_nom...9Mp63AelVY24cA

Complete list of 80th annual Academy Award nominations announced Tuesday:

ADVERTISEMENT

1. Best Picture: "Atonement," "Juno," "Michael Clayton," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."

2. Actor: George Clooney, "Michael Clayton"; Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"; Johnny Depp, "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street"; Tommy Lee Jones, "In the Valley of Elah"; Viggo Mortensen, "Eastern Promises."

3. Actress: Cate Blanchett, "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"; Julie Christie, "Away From Her"; Marion Cotillard, "La Vie en Rose"; Laura Linney, "The Savages"; Ellen Page, "Juno."

4. Supporting Actor: Casey Affleck, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"; Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men"; Hal Holbrook, "Into the Wild"; Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Charlie Wilson's War"; Tom Wilkinson, "Michael Clayton."

5. Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett, "I'm Not There"; Ruby Dee, "American Gangster"; Saoirse Ronan, "Atonement"; Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone"; Tilda Swinton, "Michael Clayton."

6. Director: Julian Schnabel, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"; Jason Reitman, "Juno"; Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"; Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"; Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood."

7. Foreign Film: "Beaufort," Israel; "The Counterfeiters," Austria; "Katyn," Poland; "Mongol," Kazakhstan; "12," Russia.

8. Adapted Screenplay: Christopher Hampton, "Atonement"; Sarah Polley, "Away from Her"; Ronald Harwood, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"; Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"; Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood."

9. Original Screenplay: Diablo Cody, "Juno"; Nancy Oliver, "Lars and the Real Girl"; Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"; Brad Bird, Jan Pinkava and Jim Capobianco, "Ratatouille"; Tamara Jenkins, "The Savages."

10. Animated Feature Film: "Persepolis"; "Ratatouille"; "Surf's Up."

11. Art Direction: "American Gangster," "Atonement," "The Golden Compass," "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street," "There Will Be Blood."

12. Cinematography: "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford," "Atonement," "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."

13. Sound Mixing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "No Country for Old Men," "Ratatouille," "3:10 to Yuma," "Transformers."

14. Sound Editing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "No Country for Old Men," "Ratatouille," "There Will Be Blood," "Transformers."

15. Original Score: "Atonement," Dario Marianelli; "The Kite Runner," Alberto Iglesias; "Michael Clayton," James Newton Howard; "Ratatouille," Michael Giacchino; "3:10 to Yuma," Marco Beltrami.

16. Original Song: "Falling Slowly" from "Once," Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova; "Happy Working Song" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz; "Raise It Up" from "August Rush," Nominees to be determined; "So Close" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz; "That's How You Know" from "Enchanted," Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz.

17. Costume: "Across the Universe," "Atonement," "Elizabeth: The Golden Age," "La Vie en Rose," "Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street."

18. Documentary Feature: "No End in Sight," "Operation Homecoming: Writing the Wartime Experience," "Sicko," "Taxi to the Dark Side," "War/Dance."

19. Documentary (short subject): "Freeheld," "La Corona (The Crown)," "Salim Baba," "Sari's Mother."

20. Film Editing: "The Bourne Ultimatum," "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly," "Into the Wild," "No Country for Old Men," "There Will Be Blood."

21. Makeup: "La Vie en Rose," "Norbit," "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End."

22. Animated Short Film: "I Met the Walrus," "Madame Tutli-Putli," "Meme Les Pigeons Vont au Paradis (Even Pigeons Go to Heaven)," "My Love (Moya Lyubov)," "Peter & the Wolf."

23. Live Action Short Film: "At Night," "Il Supplente (The Substitute)," "Le Mozart des Pickpockets (The Mozart of Pickpockets)," "Tanghi Argentini," "The Tonto Woman."

24. Visual Effects: "The Golden Compass," "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," "Transformers."

Several are already out on high def disc. I will go back and re-edit this with all the colors in a few minutes.

Some Warner titles are purple. I made HBO and New Line blue even though some are available for import. Some red titles are also available for import. Blue and purple people, please note that I gave Fox the benefit of the doubt and "assumed" they will release Juno and The Savages on Blu-Ray. The same goes for MGM with Lars and the Real Girl. (I left Once alone, since it was only released on SD DVD.) I left the Weinstein stuff untouched, as they have been MIA.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Geib /forum/post/12894773

Currently, Paramount and Universal are the box office champions. I think I read that somewhere.

More relevant to the format war is that Fox, Sony, Warner, and Disney are the home video sales champions.

·
Registered
634 Posts

Quote:
More relevant to the format war is that Fox, Sony, Warner, and Disney are the home video sales champions.

No argument here, and a very valid observation.

However, until Paramount and Universal ditch HD-DVD, HD-DVD will be around.

·
Registered
27,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Geib /forum/post/12895216

I'll bet in the next two months, Universal or Paramount will be Blu. I am sure they are looking at the sales figures and they are not making as much money making HD DVDs..

·
Registered
6,992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/12895283

I'll bet in the next two months, Universal or Paramount will be Blu. I am sure they are looking at the sales figures and they are not making as much money making HD DVDs..

I hate to agree with thebland (it makes me feel...uhm...bland), but I'll second that.

Plus, given that most HDM owners are early adopters/enthusiasts who have probably actually heard of the Warner defection via forums like this, I would think sales for HD DVD will be even worse, as supporters buy less in these uncertain times (I've gone completely to renting until things shake out a bit more).

·
Registered
174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James R. Geib /forum/post/12895216

It's not either/or. They don't have to ditch HD DVD. If either one goes neutral, the other will be getting memos from B&Ms outlining their plans to drop HD DVD at retail.

Based on the comments from BB & CC CEOs they see a clear message to consumers as the key.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudetta /forum/post/12895408

"No country for old men" is a Paramount movie so it should be red.

unfortunately incorrect

though it may be released in Europe

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudetta /forum/post/12895408

"No country for old men" is a Paramount movie so it should be red.
No Country is Miramax in the US, even though it's Paramount Vantage worlwide for the most part.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0477348/companycredits

Note to the above folks--I didn't make this post about sales, retailers, etc. It's simply about Oscar contenders, and which studios have which movies.

·
Registered
406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/12895283

The HDM market is minuscule. It doesn't matter that the studios selling on Blu are making 3 peanuts vs. Universal and Paramount only making 2 peanuts on HD. It's all just peanuts.

Ergo, it is possible that long term profit expectations might prove to be enough for the remaining studios to support Blu, but current profits don't mean a thing. They are just too small to matter.

And no, there's no way Universal and Paramount will turn Blu inside of two months. Two years maybe, but not two months. HD-DVD isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

-edit

Very interesting that there is so much Red in the list. From all the "70%" hype you'd expect a lot more Blu.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
The IMDB is kinda wrong on that. Theatrically, Miramax released No Country in the US; Paramount Vantage released There Will Be Blood. Both companies have a piece of both films.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I agree that films that sell more in the home video market matter more than the Oscar nominations or wins. "The English Patient" wasn't exactly a hot item on DVD.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGuyOR /forum/post/12896166

Across the Universe should be in blue (costume design). It's being released in Feb.

I'm eagerly anticipating that one. February 5th.

Allargon, Fox mentioned Juno in that High Def 2.0 thing a month or two ago. Since it's gone on to good box office, I'd say it's a safe bet it's getting released. I'm not sure about the others such as Lars and the Real Girl (which I'm hoping for) and The Savages.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
What! Transformers didn't get nominated for best Original score?
That score simply kicks ass!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts