AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will soon be in the market for a receiver. It will be hidden behind doors so I would really like to have OSD through the component output, but it seems this is a rare (or nonexistant) feature at least below $1000. Obviously I can use the composite/s-video out for making initial settings, but I would really like it full time. Are there any out there now or possibly upcoming models?

Another feature that would be nice is switching to digital audio instead of analog when a signal is present. My current H/K receiver lets me assign it, of course, but I would like it to switch automatically for my digital STB. Again, below $1000?

·
Registered
707 Posts
I believe that the OSD on components is probably part of the same video module that converts composite and s-video to component output. It requires additional circuitry and is only found in expensive units. As a practical matter for inexpensive receivers, you've got to run duplicate inputs to the TV anyway, since your VCR and normal cable box doesn't output component video and there is no conversion in the receiver.

As for detecting digital inputs: that is a standard feature with every receiver I've ever seen and I would be shocked if the H/K doesn't do it. There are usually three settings: Analog, Digital, and Auto. Auto checks for a digital signal and uses it if it's there; if it's not there, it uses the analog input.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the Krell Showcase pre/pro and it does provide OSD through component video, with the exception of progressive mode. How annoying? So, I just use P-I-P when I need to change something. I would assume this would apply to all AV units for some technical reason. If not, what the hell was Krell thinking?

DAVE

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally posted by hwc
As for detecting digital inputs: that is a standard feature with every receiver I've ever seen and I would be shocked if the H/K doesn't do it. There are usually three settings: Analog, Digital, and Auto. Auto checks for a digital signal and uses it if it's there; if it's not there, it uses the analog input.
MY H/K AVR 65 doesn't. I just read the 525 online and it doesn't seem to either. It will detect the proper digital mode, of course, but you have to select 'digital' manually. Am I wrong on this H/K owners?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
The 3803 does OSD via component but not with component input other than sys setup, surround parameters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.