AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a billion man-hours I finally got my system to do what I want: Record any source while watching any other source.

So now I'd like to document it as professionally as possible a) so I don't forget what I did and b) so I can share it with others.

I'm on a hunt for a software package that will allow me to diagram the system.

I tried the drawing tool in MS Word, looked at a couple of flowcharting tools and poked around in PowerPoint a bit. Most will get the job done eventually, but not very elegantly.

Ideally, I'd like a tool that has native elements for A/V equipment (so I don't have to manually draw every bloody circle for each RCA or S-video connector.

Also , connections on the diagram should be preserved if, say, a piece of gear is dragged from one place on the page to another.

Anyone aware of something like this?

TIA

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ooh, I've been looking to do the same thing. I've tried all the same programs mentioned above . . . with the same results - I kept thinking . . . there must be something better. Please let us know if this program does the trick and if it has all the A/V elements built in. Thanks.

-em

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In looking through the Visio site ( http://www.microsoft.com/office/visio/ ), I don't see anything specifically related to A/V diagramming. Plus Visio is pretty expensive, given my application. So I think I'll keep looking.

One thing that occurred to me was to snap digital pix of the backs of all my equipment, drop them on a page and then simply connect the ports with colored lines (red/white/yellow for composite, r/g/b for component video, etc).

Hm, I could even scan the manufacturers pix from the owners manuals.

More than one way to skin this cat, me thinks. ;)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Visio works. So does AutoCad, AutoCad-Lite, and Autodesk (? - I have this on one of my older computers but I forget what it's called ). You draw block diagrams with any of these programs and they will look like the diagrams in the owner's manuals of the equipment you own. But the learning curve is major with these programs because, like Photoshop, they do so damned much even if you do not need all of its power.

Your idea of taking pictures is not bad. We video tape our intallations in pre wire so we can have a record of where the wires are installed but I never thought of taking pictures of the rack.

You can also do your drawing the old fashioned way: pencil on graph paper and then scan it into your computer

You might be able to hire someone to do the drawing in CAD but you'd have more fun doing it yourself.

Alan

·
Registered
6 Posts
As it fully imports any Visio diagram, if you are on the Apple platform (it always has been graphics oriented), OmniGraffle has, among its features:

"OmniGraffle can import almost any kind of image; they can be used to fill shapes (and be offset or tiled within a shape), or just place on the canvas by themselves. Just drag an image into the document from the Finder or your web browser."

...just an FYI...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.