AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you watching Airline on A&E please be advised of additional airing(s) Thursday night. One episode appears to be new while one is a repeat.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I'm pretty sure both of those episodes are repeats. The second one is a repeat of tonights episode and the from the description the first one is a repeat of an earlier episode...I wish these guides were better at indicating first runs and repeats. It seems this series doesn't show any "repeats" in the guide.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
None of the cable series indicate repeats. And yes, I may have missed the first week of the show so that particular episode wouldn't then be found in my "already seen" database.

·
Registered
948 Posts
They are both repeats...one from the first week and one from this week. As you can probably tell by my username, I am more than a little interested in this series. Anybody care to share how you like it, and how you think SWA comes out looking from what they show? I'm just curious, really...I work in Technology there, so I'm not a marketing guy or anything like that...

Thanks,

Randy

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the only thing that struck me about the Alzheimer's victim segment was whether the same degree of service would have been provided if no camera was present. I hope so, but I have my doubts.

Otherwise I was impressed with the professionalism of the SWA staff (I've never had occasion to fly with them).

BTW: Are they the airline that proposed, in a revenue enhancing proposal, the installation of pay toilets? :D

·
Registered
742 Posts
The show is great, we love it. There should be more like this in my view. There are a few "employees" that perhaps play to the camera or even try to show "acting" skills but 90% of the time I think it's all real...

I am one of those people (I hate to admit it) that like to "listen in" when people are moaning or complaining. This program style satifies that "curiousity".

I'm just glad camera were not around when I've been the one doing the "complaining" :)

As Heathriel pointed out. Don't forget to look out for Airport, the original from the UK for this program with "EasyJet"... That was very very amusing too...

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hi Bayside...

I can't say for sure whether or not the cameras influenced the Sup's actions, but stories like that aren't all that uncommon here. I'll stop short of turning this into a commercial :) , but I'd be a *little* surprised if that was just for the cameras...and there have been plenty of snippets where I sincerely hope they weren't being influenced by the cameras. If so, I'd hate to see how things were handled if the cameras weren't there... ;-)

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was also a recent offering on PBS in a show entitled "Back to the Floor - Heathrow Airport" in which Managing director Roger Cato, Heathrow Airport, spent a week working in customer service. Also worth seeing.

And as to the cameras not influencing the people being photographed.... isn't there a law in physics, name of which escapes me now, that states that the mere act of observation influences any system being observed?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by franc11s
As Heathriel pointed out. Don't forget to look out for Airport, the original from the UK for this program with "EasyJet"... That was very very amusing too...
I actually don't remember a season with EasyJet.

Generally, they do Aer Lingus, Cypress Air, British Airways, Aeroflot, and general Heathrow employees.

My favorite episodes have Stuart, the animal control dude. Poor guy has to crawl up into wheel wells, engine casings, etc trying to save trapped mice, birds, kittens...

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's what I thought, but when I looked it up the definition didn't exactly say what I remembered:

(vr´nr h´znbrk) (KEY) , 1901–76, German physicist. One of the founders of the quantum theory, he is best known for his uncertainty principle, or indeterminacy principle, which states that it is impossible to determine with arbitrarily high accuracy both the position and momentum (essentially velocity) of a subatomic particle like the electron. The effect of this principle is to convert the laws of physics into statements about relative probabilities instead of absolute certainties. In 1926, Heisenberg developed a form of the quantum theory known as matrix mechanics, which was quickly shown to be fully equivalent to Erwin Schrödinger’s wave mechanics. His 1932 Nobel Prize in Physics cited not only his work on quantum theory but also work in nuclear physics in which he predicted the subsequently verified existence of two allotropic forms of molecular hydrogen, differing in their values of nuclear spin.

I should learn to trust my instincts.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BaysideBas
Well, the only thing that struck me about the Alzheimer's victim segment was whether the same degree of service would have been provided if no camera was present. I hope so, but I have my doubts.

Otherwise I was impressed with the professionalism of the SWA staff (I've never had occasion to fly with them).

BTW: Are they the airline that proposed, in a revenue enhancing proposal, the installation of pay toilets? :D
I was also impressed by the gate staff (the alzheimer's thing in particular), but the indifference/callous attitude of the lost luggage staff have pretty well convinced me to avoid SWA.

Why SWA would let that go to air without fixing it. I mean, yeah, some of the lost baggage customers were pretty obnoxious (and that really was a small rip on the bag), but:

1) Customers don't GAS what kind of baggage handling contract the airline signs with the third party providers

2) How hard would it have been to toss the guy a $50 voucher just to shut him up?

3) Try showing a little sympathy for a change.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hi toots,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the third party provider thing...what they were referring to, I believe, was the Contract of Carriage that every person that buys a ticket is party to. All airlines have pretty much the same thing in place these days in that CoC, from what I understand.

As for SWA 'fixing it', we don't have editorial control over the content. That is why every other airline that was approached declined the offer to participate. Generally speaking, we have enough confidence in our everyday operations to let them shoot and show what they want. As I mentioned, I see some things on there that make me cringe a little...but please don't judge us too harshly just because we are the only ones brave enough to let people have a peek 'behind the scenes'! I doubt you would find anything terribly different in any airline's baggage office. Maybe so, but it would surprise me (and I have had a little experience in that). It is truly the least enviable place to be.

I'll just shut up now....I didn't really intend to promote or defend anything, and I see that I can't help myself. I'll be content to remain on the sidelines from here on out. Thanks again to everyone for the opinions!

Randy

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
toots, I can fully understand the attitude of the lost/damaged luggage person. They are probably confronted hundreds of times each day by people with various agendas on tap. Most claims are probably legit but, unless careful inspection of the luggage is done at check-in and every little blemish noted, what's to prevent a scammer from making all kinds of claims? The damage shown was certainly minor, and who knows when it may have occured? Maybe by the bellman at the hotel, or inside the cab's trunk? Who knows?

My view on this is more practical, buy cheap sturdy luggage, it needs to be functional, not pretty, and expect it to acquire a patina of scuffs, scratches, dents and tears. Bulletproof indeed, I've never seen truly damage resistant materials used and particularly shy away from "ballistic" nylon, which I find to not withstand much pulling on the seams.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Yeah, I can understand, too. It's a thankless job.

But, it's also a matter of escallation. If you stand there saying "Our contract says we don't have to care," you're going to be confronted with people who're even more angry than before.

What's to prevent a scammer? It happens once, then fine. If the same guy keeps coming back with the same type of claim, then there's a problem.

Like I say, a little sympathy and a free cookie here and there can go a long way in soothing the angry customer.

But, their contract says they don't have to care.

On the british show, by comparison, I've yet to see any of the employees do anything that make me not want to fly a particular airline. Whether or not they're like that in real life, at least they all have enough sense to never say "our contract says we don't have to care" in front of the cameras.

And, yeah, I did remember one season where the brit show did EasyJet.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Or it may have been poor judgement in editing and they left out material preceding the confrontation. Or possibly they didn't even have a camera on it. It is, after all, only a 30 minute show presenting several stories. We just don't know what happened to make the agent take on that attitude. And an editor's decisions or availability of footage can turn the whole picture around. I'm sure you knew that already.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My favorite scene from baggage claim was the woman who kept musing how expensive her lost bag was. Then the voice-over narrator segues into the scene with:

"With the world's most expensive bag apparently lost..."

I've had baggage issues with other airlines and had to wait around in baggage claim for a while. There are no smiles in that room. If SW had given that guy a voucher for his little tear, there would have been a dozen other incidents they could have shown instead. Those cameras can't change their policy, but it probably keeps the employees from saying anything too nasty.

For the most part, I think the show puts SWA in a good light. It depicts the typical crap that people dish out and put up with when traveling. It's nice to be reminded that the airline employees are real people.

-BS

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Agreed with the typical crap.

This was actually the first time on one of these shows (including the Brit original) that I thought the airline actually put themselves in a poor light. For the most part, I don't have much sympathy for the others we see.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.