AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Disclaimer: If you will have your feelings hurt by being called childish names for liking Apple or their products, please don't read this, you've been warned.

Ok, so I order an ipod for the boss (the domestic one) and get it sent next day - paying $19 bucks instead of the free shipping to get it here in time to get it interfaced to her car so it would be a working surprise for xmas. So when they ship it (48 hours later - okay) I get a mail with tracking info that shows it will be three days to get it. What the F? So here's the really good part, the first time I call Apple the very friendly phone system says the wait time is exceedingly long and HANGS THE F UP ON ME!!!! Ok, I figure maybe fedex is snafu'd and the thing will show up as it was supposed to despite what their site says, then tonight I check it and it's trudging it's way across the country on a F'ING TRUCK! Ok, I'm cool, call Apple, now the wait time is 51 minutes. So their stock has been on a rampage for months since they have the hottest product going, PLEASE DON'T TELL ME THEY DON'T KNOW THEY NEED MORE HELP AT THE ABSOLUTE BUSIEST TIME OF THE YEAR.

I call MS at least a couple times a year and they AT LEAST ANSWER THE F'ING PHONE. So to all the turtle-neck wearing, latte-swilling, weak-chested morons who spout about how great Apple is and how MS sucks, you need to wake up and quit drinking the Apple-ade. Not that there are any of those here, because this forum is full of smart people who use crt. Ok, JD time.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That really isn't directed at anybody but the condescending morons who preach that the Mac is the only real pc, blah, blah. I have no problem with Apple products inherently, just get tired of the routing, I guess really it's not so different than the crt/digital thing. Anyway I'm obviously not biased one way or the other as I'm their customer. But phone systems hanging up on you and having to wait 50+ minutes (I'm still on hold) to be told (I'm sure) that there's nothing they can do sucks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ya, that does not help. I do know how much it sucks for a phone system to hang up on you too. ( it is worse when you finally got a hold of someone, THEN get hung up on. :p )

But I will say if Apple had M$' money, you would still not be on the phone.

This time of year is not going to help anything either.

Would it help you to know that i am using a nice 24" CRT with my mac mini? ( how is that of opposites of scale?)

;-)

·
Registered
466 Posts
You are calling a company at the worst time of year for the entire support industry,

Yes, it should be better... but it's the nature of the season that phone support is plagued by long waits....

at least your call is NOT being routed to india or china.

Actually I find there are lots of similarities to Mac vs PC and CRT vs Bulb. Very small market share, but a larger than expected installed user base due to longer useful life than the other fellows. generally higher esthetic value. Higher entry price point, but lower total cost of ownership due to generally lower support costs.

All that said, I own both CRT and Bulb, and Mac and Win. altho I have MORE CRT projectors and MORE macs that I use MORE often.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After 45 minutes on hold they pick up, ask the deal and then transfer me away so fast I didn't even have time to object. Un-F'ing-believable bad customer service, manners, etc. He basically put me in the cue for another type of customer service with absolutely no concern to get someone on the phone for me or even tell me where he was sticking me.

Oh, and the hold music sucks.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I am sick of Apple. I think their products are ugly, the level of "user friendliness" is sickening, their OS is too shiny, and the iPod is not the best for the money. Maybe it was, way back when it first came out, but even then you could get four times the capacity for about the same price elsewhere (maybe without a screen, but who cares?). Give me a nice, beige, IBM-compatible running Windows, and a Cowon A2 or Creative Vision:M :eek: :p.

EDIT: 200th post, wee!

·
Registered
372 Posts
And this is also why I am just getting a 512 Shuffle when I get an Ipod. as they are usually in stock because they are in less demand.

as for the PC vs MAC thing, they have to pay me to work on PCs (window servers) and they do! I just decided I don't want to keep fighting it at home too. ;-)

So do they have ads during the hold music ? or is it just bad hold music?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGBHV
And this is also why I am just getting a 512 Shuffle when I get an Ipod. as they are usually in stock because they are in less demand.

as for the PC vs MAC thing, they have to pay me to work on PCs (window servers) and they do! I just decided I don't want to keep fighting it at home too. ;-)

So do they have ads during the hold music ? or is it just bad hold music?
Knowing Apple, they probably play a bunch of wannabe indie rock that's not really indie because it's decidedly popular and the cool thing to listen to at the moment.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My cell battery finally died after a 18 hour road-warrior day it just couldn't take the 70 minutes on hold any more. F them. I like the ipod, it's slick as anything, but there's no excuse for the lack of manners. Ok, long hold time, I waited, but DON'T transfer me without permission, and DON'T transfer me after 45 minutes without getting the other party on the phone for me. Frankly, if it was india I would have gotten someone quickly who WANTED TO HELP, and secondly, if they didn't F everything up and ship it wrong they wouldn't have 2.7 million pi$$ed people on 45 minute waits. What sucks is their arrogance, they think they can get away with that crap because people aren't going to try again. And fedex is no better, if they don't get it there on time they say, "oh, sorry." I can't believe I'm going to say this but I think it might be time for a class action to recover the overnight fees that they kept even when they didn't get the product there on time. It'd probably bankrupt them.

Anyway, merry Christmas! No really! Maybe I'm just a little testy, I drove 8 hours today, re-installed a system by myself, delivered multiple replacement equipment and navigated the 5 star establishment with MANNERS, fixed the Panera bread that melted their cabling with the sandwich press (too funny, also couldn't find the breaker so left it on an extension), ate lunch at 7pm, did another service call since I was there, etc, etc. The first cocktail didn't quite get it, although it's better. Later.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Make sure you complain in writing, and the first question should always be, "What is your full name, I've been cut off a few times already and transferred a bunch more, and am getting tired of it" or something like that.

I always get their full name , and ask "You're not gonna just transfer me now are you" BEFORE I tell them the problem - it usually leads to a much better experience.

I don't mean Apple, I mean any support line.

I haven't had an issue with apple support, I usuall get answered within 20 minutes which seems to be 'quick' these days compared to my ISP or Dell, or the HP/Compaq conglomeration. I find with any company though, you sometimes get obscenely long wait times and sometimes get rude bastages.

If I get poor service from anyone, I always complain in writing, not via phone or e-mail, tell them I am not happy and that I am a step away from sending my complaint into the computer magazine of choice, and I have always gotten a decent reply from nearly every time I've done it and often some form of compensation (a voucher, a product a something).

Really though, support lines seem to be understaffed by all companies these days, and I think that sucks, whether it is banks, computer companies, insurers, whatever, spend a few less dollars on marketing and a few more on support staff.

Mind you, I'd never order a 'hot product' online at this time of year, I've been burned before, if I gotta have something for a deadline, I drive out and get it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm sure I will sound like an ass, but why didn't you just go to a retail store like Best Buy if you needed it so quickly?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Anybody else remember slightly miss dialing the old "1800S0SAPPL" number and getting something interesting.:D

·
Registered
506 Posts
I never did like Apples much. I got the distinct impression that the reason people like them is because they're so predictable... and they're so predictable because they have so little functionality. *ducks*

No, seriously, I've never used a Mac that honestly seemed faster (or more stable) than my PC. Of course, my PC has 4 hard drives in RAID 0, a 6800GT and a 2.4 Ghz HT P4, but...

A properly maintained PC is quite fast and quite stable. Not much for security, but hey...

Nice thing about Macs is that, for the moment, noone is out to get them with spyware and viruses. For people who don't really want to spend the time (or just plain don't know how) to keep their system in top shape by constantly applying patches, running scans, and generally being their own Admin, Macs are probably a good choice.

But for someone who doesn't mind self-administration, I just don't see the appeal of a Mac, other than as eye-candy.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
Hey,

It's been a while since I've experienced the whole anti-Apple discourse.

I certainly understand the frustration of the shipping mistake and difficulties of getting help.

This Ipod thing is so everywhere it doesn't even seem like a bad thing to me anymore. I originally thought of it as just a music pirate-ing facilitator but I guess it's not so bad. I could almost imagine have-ing a use for one myself.

=B

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Vince-B - sorry to hear about your bad iPod purchase experience. At least you didn't wait in the cold at midnight at some store and end up empty-handed. We probably would have read about you in the news going on a rampage.

If you ran a poll, I think you'd be surprised at the number of CRT owners who also own/use Apple products at home.

(Proud owner of an iPod for over two years now...)

- Steve O.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, a little better today. Sleep always helps. I am in a service oriented business and the only worse treatment I think they could give would be to come over and personally take a dump on you.

Quote:
why didn't you just go to a retail store like Best Buy
Every local retailer is sold out. They claim even Apple has no units, I guess to try to get you back when they get stock, dunno.

I'm not bashing Apple devotees. I have always taken the line that both platforms have their place and am open to the possibilities. That said I have pcs because I can hack them and there are 100x the number of parts etc. I finally snapped after for years taking the high road in conversations while Mac devotees were condescending, snobby, etc. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT ALL MAC OWNERS ARE, just that I've run into enough that think that their Mac is a status symbol to eventually get weary of it.

The good news, the pod will be here today so I guess I got two day shipping. It may be that it went overnight but that it shipped at a very late hour and so while it was technically shipped on a given date it went in the cue for the next day. Of course I was TRYING to get a simple explanation from Apple when I encountered the unexcusably bad CR. I hate talking to tech guys from India as much as the next guy (nothing personal but 85% communication makes things very slow) but if Apple is any indication of where American service is headed (hope not) then we deserve it to be outsourced.

And I fully intend to complain in writing.

And thanks for commiserating :)

Quote:
I guess it's not so bad. I could almost imagine have-ing a use for one myself.
It's actually a pretty great device, the UI is fantastic, gobs of music at your fingertips. I got it for my wife because she is constantly shuffling cds all over the house/car etc. I'm getting her an interface for the car (which is why I need the unit here today so I have time to get the car sorted) and a dock for the stereo that I can control with the pronto. Now she can take her music wherever and have one interface. It's really not a pirating thing at all, we rip all our cds to the fileserver and they will just naturally go to the ipod. It's funny, she'd tell me she didn't need it but when she sees it her attitude will change. Next time a buddy has one, try it out and you'll be stunned how within 10 secs you'll figure out how to access ANYTHING that's on it. It's just that cool.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_B
It's actually a pretty great device, the UI is fantastic, gobs of music at your fingertips.

Next time a buddy has one, try it out and you'll be stunned how within 10 secs you'll figure out how to access ANYTHING that's on it. It's just that cool.
So, Vince_B, are you going to change the title of this topic?

Happy holidays...

;)

- Steve O.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Ahh.... the Church of Mac. :D

Before there was the Mac, I had a fully loaded Apple 2E. I loved that thing. It did stuff no one else could. It was fun, simple, and expandable.

Then came the Mac. It WAS a revolutionary computer, but I needed a car more than a Mac, so I got into PC's for 1/3rd the cost. And the PC was expandable. Never mind that you needed brains to use one....

In the meantime I always liked Apple for their killer designs. It's like the B&O of computers. But alas, I couldn't take out a second on my house just to buy one....

I do have an iMac G3, (free) and and iBook G3 (also free due to the video chip defect, AKA DEAD) I re-soldered the chip with my hot air soldering system and it came back to life. How about that! So for me, for many reasons, Apple stuff is just a hobby I can't afford or justify.

I have a Hi-MD Minidisc. It gives me a lot of music, the HD won't crash, and I won't get screwed by Apple when the special battery dies. The Hi-MD runs 14 hours on ONE AA battery. It records, too. :D Best part I paid $40 on ebay for it. It holds a couple hundred songs per disc.

The iPod is as slick as they come, but I just don't see the $$$ just because it's "Apple".

The icing on the cake was at a swapmeet recently. I saw an old Radius display card for the mac. Remember the radius monitors made by sony over 10 years ago?? I asked the guy what he wanted for the card laying unprotected on the dirt.... He says "$300". I said "you are nuts, no one in their right mind will pay that. " He says, " A Mac guy will. "

Enough said. :D

Marc

·
Registered
12,834 Posts
It is not the Mac that I can't stand. It is the emperor of the company. I sold my Mac and went PC after he manipulated his way back in.

Ericglo

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.