AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been approached to sell a unti, and the buyer wants to pay by wiret transfer from Japan! They want to send the money to my bank account, and say they just ned my bank details.

They also gave what they say is their ebay ID. Me thinks, there is a catch, I'm just to tired after shooting 79 today to see it (79, and I putted like crap). Either way, my gut says DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!

Ok, so from the experienced guys what's your experience tell you?

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I let a paris ebayer with good feedback give me a wire transfer. I would suggest opening a second account without any money in it and have them deposit the funds into it. Then move the funds immediately to another account and close the first one.

Overall, I've not heard any horror stories of wire transfer into bank accounts. Make sure to call your bank and find out what info the buyer needs and don't volunteer or give any other information than that. Btw, ask your bank how much of a fee they take for the wire transfer. It might surprise you. But it's not a tremendous amount.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
How much is a unti going for nowdays? ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YONEXSP
I've been approached to sell a unti, and the buyer wants to pay by wiret transfer from Japan! They want to send the money to my bank account, and say they just ned my bank details.

They also gave what they say is their ebay ID. Me thinks, there is a catch, I'm just to tired after shooting 79 today to see it (79, and I putted like crap). Either way, my gut says DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!

Ok, so from the experienced guys what's your experience tell you?

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I get wire transfers all the time. And from Japan I'd say you're pretty safe.

But this one is easy. Go ask your bank. THat second account idea is a good one.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
I was also told this:

Their 'verification' from THEIR bank..to YOURS.. can take 10 full days to clear.

What this means, is that the 'transfer' can seem legit..but not actually CLEAR for 10 full days.

Their 'bank' sends 'notification', not the actual transfer. The -actual- transfer takes 10 days.

If it turns out to be bull..your bank will screw you and turn the whole thing around..and you'll be liable for the non existent funds, just like a bounced check.

Seriously..

Ask your bank on this exact subject. My bank does not consider the 'wired' funds to actually be legally and fully cleared for 10 days.

This subject came up when a group tried to have us send a large amount of product for a so-called military show in the the backwaters of Russia. They wanted it to be sent (shipped and moving through the shipping channels) in 48hrs, and the bank transfer could barely be set up for that time period..for even the 'recording' (notification) of the transfer to take place.

This whas when the bank told us of all the caveats..the 'buyer beware' on money transfers from other countries.

So, take a wire transfer, but be aware that you CAN be screwed. It is possible.

We declined to send the product to the deepest parts of Russia, and told them they'd have to wait the 10 days for the wire transfer to properly clear. when I e-mailed this fact to them, we never heard another single word from our 'so-called' customer. So much for honesty. We could have done another method if they were really serious, but.....apparently not.

It would be likely easier to make or create illegitimate bank codes in the wild wild east of Europe or Asia..than in Japan. But one never knows. The bank code of the Eastern European Bank they wanted to use came up in the Internal banking system as being real..but our bank said that there was -ZERO- guarantee that the Eastern European bank was --actually real.

It can be done, just make sure the bank involved on their end is a major international bank. Some name (bank code) that the bankers (yours) are familiar with. If it is the national craplie bank of Japan, whom no-one has ever heard of, then don't do it. Try it, but wait the full ten days before shipping.

If it is a well known branch of a internationally known finance office or the like, then it is likely to be ok, without the ten day clearance issue.

You see..once the product leaves our dock, it is fully their responsibility and control. We can loose the money and not be able to re-divert the product..as the shipping is under THEIR control, not ours. It's called FOB type shipping. In this way, we don't bear any responsibility once the item has even been lifted by the driver of the truck, even when it is still on our dock. Keeps things simple.

We don't find ourselves out huge sums of money because a shipper has destroyed a product or item. Happens all the time. One customer had two shipments destroyed, nearly in a row..by the shippers. He was and is -still- out about $16kUS. The high insurance rates paid are useless. I've never once seen a shipper actually pay for what they damaged. If we didn't do FOB shipping, it would be our issue, not his (buyer). This damage of shipped product happens far more than we like it to. Everyone in the manufacturing business does things this way. we've even had shipping companies drop a skid off the end of OUR dock. And, it wasn't our product..so the buyer had to arrange for new product to be sent, and eat the whole mess -financially-. Not us. Not a chance. Everyone does it this way. Except for ebayers, who don't know any better. :)

For example, i'm getting two PJ's sent to me from the state of LA..all the way up here to Canada..from an ebayer. If they were smart, they'd of had ME arrange and call the shippers in to THEIR dock. Since THEY shipped it, not me..if it is ruined during shipping....I can kill the payment on the Credit Card..and -they- are out ($) the whole mess....not me. It's on their plate, not mine. Until I take physical delivery of the items by signig when they get here..., it's their responsibility. If I arranged it myself, I would have taken possession, the instant the driver of the truck touched the skids in any way, or signed for them.

On a shipping dock, proper shipping involves the driver taking -written, signed- posession of the items involved, before he is allowed to even touch them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Shooting 79 and missing some putts you can't be that tired. You must have been hitting some gir's. I'm a 7 and shot 86 today. That's tiring. Nothing but scrambling all day.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hit 14 git's but 3 putted 4 times! not including 3 misses from under 8ft for par & not a single birdie :( But least the driving was good. Borrowed another frineds new R5, and yet again all I can say is WOW! Do those new Drivers make things rediculously easy. Not one drive under 265 with that beast today. Went back to my Big Bertha 8 degree loft, and Fade hell resumed. I gotta get me an R5.

Thanks for the advise on the Wire Transfers. I' have asked for the buyers to use Paypal or Money order from a US or Canadian Bank, & will allow upto 10 days for the cchecks international money orders to clear at both ends.

Raster, go stick your head up when the Sun does not shine.

K./

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Unless a scammer talks you into handling the transaction in a manor that you should know better (i.e., you do something really stupid), bank wire transfers are 100% safe. Follow the procedure as outlined by your bank, and once the funds are in your account, no one other than you can remove them. The bank info you have to give the person so they can send the transfer will not in any way put your account at risk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.