AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a pretty big fan of this show. But am I the only one really bothered by the over-use of "frack" or "fracking" as a substitute for you know what? It got so annoying last episode I watched I felt like turning it off. I think that if the writers really think it's absolutely necessary to have swearing that I'd even rather hear the real thing than have to put up with this annoying substitute.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I agree. If I'm not mistaken, they have typically used it as an adjective, but in this last episode, they used it as a verb with sexual meaning. And that was uncalled for. But I do like the show and doubt this would influence me not to watch it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I agree. It was certainly overused.

Found it to be more annoyingly amusing rather than offensive.

Who knows. "Frack" may catch on and in 10 years it will find its way into the English dictionary :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose
They basically stole the idea from Farscape. All they did was substitute "frack" for "frell".
Um, they stole it from themselves. Go watch the original Battlestar... Though it was used in a slightly less sexual manner.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Quote:
They basically stole the idea from Farscape. All they did was substitute "frack" for "frell".
The original BG used "frack" as well. So, if anything, Farscape stole the idea from the orginal Battlestar Galactica. Alternate words are used all the time, especially in science fiction. Found a nice little quote on another forum:

Quote:
Both versions of Battlestar Galactica use the fictitious expletive frak (also spelled frack or fraq) in the same contexts that **** would be normally expected. Similarly, Farscape uses the term frell, and Babylon 5 uses frag. The various versions of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy often use photon or zark in place of ****; the 2005 movie features the character Zaphod Beeblebrox saying "zarking-A".

Not to go OT, but the original also had an alternate time words. Terms like "yahren" , "sectar" , "secton" , "centar" , "centon" and "micron" were used instead of "year" , "month" , "week" , "day" , "hour" and "minute" respectively. I can't say for certain, but it looks like the new series has abandoned this annoying practice.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hey, at least they haven't used "felgercarb" yet...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Quoting Ace's quoted quote here, and snipping it, too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Poster from Another Forum
The various versions of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy often use photon or zark in place of ****; the 2005 movie features the character Zaphod Beeblebrox saying "zarking-A".
I never put it together before, but this certainly changes the way I now think of the Great Prophet Zarquon.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace987
The original BG used "frack" as well. So, if anything, Farscape stole the idea from the orginal Battlestar Galactica.
I stand corrected. I haven't watched the original series since it first aired when I was a kid.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace987
Not to go OT, but the original also had an alternate time words. Terms like "yahren" , "sectar" , "secton" , "centar" , "centon" and "micron" were used instead of "year" , "month" , "week" , "day" , "hour" and "minute" respectively. I can't say for certain, but it looks like the new series has abandoned this annoying practice.
Of course, the new series also has Hummer's with license plates. :) (the vehicle, not the sexual one)

I'm convinced that Earth is exporting all it's old junk to the colonies, which they concider garbage dumps. :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
I agree. "Frack" or "You know what" it does not really change things. Does not really matter is you use the actual word, or a substiture, we know what is meant when the word is used, and its NOT the word that is bad, it is the intent BEHIND either word which makes it bad, and uncomfortable. I generally do not believe there is EVER a reason to use that word in a film or TV show, I do not think removing "Frack" from BS would make the show less fun, and entertaining, and a great show to watch. It just in not necessary.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I disagree. I think the use of swear words is appropriate. They are trying to protray a real culture, and a real culture (especially military) includes swearing.

This isn't Mary Poppins, for pete's sake. I just wish we americans would get over our fracking wish-washy attitudes about language and accept that showing reality is a _good_ thing, story wise.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scochran666
I disagree. I think the use of swear words is appropriate. They are trying to protray a real culture, and a real culture (especially military) includes swearing.

This isn't Mary Poppins, for pete's sake. I just wish we americans would get over our fracking wish-washy attitudes about language and accept that showing reality is a _good_ thing, story wise.
Very nicely said. There was a movie called Heartbreak Ridge starring Clint Eastwood that came out in 1986 about the invasion of Grenada. It is "soaked" with the F word. Althouth the F word was used profusely, I believe the movie would not have the same affect if it was "cleansed" to use a less offensive word.

BSG is not for kids. It is an adult soap opera set in space. I find the use of the word fraken both appropriate and in keeping with the tone of the show.

BTW: Did anyone catch the use of mother fraker used in the show? I was astounded that this made it past the censors but pleased that it did because the phrase IMO was used at the appropriate time and place in the show. I'm an adult and I don't need no stinkin' censor to determine what I can and cannot see and hear.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskollar
I'm an adult and I don't need no stinkin' censor to determine what I can and cannot see and hear.
I agree with you.

I am not a fan of gratuitious language, sex, and violence but when it reflects reality well and helps move the story forward in a more realistic way I just shrug it off. People curse. Some people curse every three of four words that come out of their mouths.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creech
I am not a fan of gratuitious language, sex, and violence but when it reflects reality well and helps move the story forward in a more realistic way I just shrug it off.
There's my problem with it (realistic)... frack or any of it's variants just doesn't seem to fit the otherwise "normal" vocabulary being used, detracting from the dialog and making me think about something other than the conversation at hand and making it totally non-realistic. I would rather have the real word there or something else that fits our everyday vocabulary. I'm not a big fan of profanity in TV/movies, but in many cases if it fits just right I have no problem with it - Pulp Fiction for example I thought was great.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I don't have any problem with the swearing. In fact, I have problems trusting anyone who doesn't swear. ;)

Getting off topic, did anyone else think it was a bit odd that they were using analog cassette tapes to record themselves. I mean, we're talking about a society that has developed advanced spaceships capable of interstellar travel.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWCB
Of course, the new series also has Hummer's with license plates. :) (the vehicle, not the sexual one)

I'm convinced that Earth is exporting all it's old junk to the colonies, which they concider garbage dumps. :)
But the hummer had Delphi plates. :)

One of the things I like about the new BSG is how familliar it feels. Better a hummer than some fiberglass "future car" BS that makes jet engine noises when it moves.

And "frak" doesn't bug me.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Quote:
I don't have any problem with the swearing. In fact, I have problems trusting anyone who doesn't swear. ;)

Getting off topic, did anyone else think it was a bit odd that they were using analog cassette tapes to record themselves. I mean, we're talking about a society that has developed advanced spaceships capable of interstellar travel.
How about that the only history they have of the exodus from Kobol is in a book with drawings? You'd think someone would recorded some of that eh? Makes one wonder just what the hell is going on.

As to tape, I see people, reporters and the like, using analog dictaphone/tape widgets all the time. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think you have to remember that the problem is that cylons can access new technology using the computers, maybe that is the reason that they are using old technology like tape recorders.

Also in Kobol was a nuclear war so all electronic devices don't work.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Speaking of felgercarb, I just realized we haven't seen Boxy again, or his dagget. Pretty good so far. Just picked up the season one DVD set at Best Buy and need to give it a spin to see what was different across the pond while I've been ignoring Usenet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.