1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I knew there was a reason to move back to Canada.....too bad my ReplayTV won't work up there.

The Dreamer.

·
Registered
841 Posts
An interesting note is that I can go over to Fry's right now and buy a pack of blank CD's for about 14 cents a piece. That doesn't even come close to the tax a Canadian would be paying for the same piece of plastic at Fry's Canada ( if there was such a place ). :D

I'm guessing it would be a hard sell here in the States.

Damn, I just had a urge for a bag of chips with lots of vinegar. ;)

Bye. :cool:

Former Winnipegger. :D

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Better be some onions floating in that vinegar ;)

·
Registered
423 Posts
wow! I knew there was a reason I live here cuz it certainly isn't consumer electronics innovation! :)

Just kidding... Actually, I love Canada (most of the time).

This is really all I can say about the RIAA because if I begin, I am not sure I can contain the rage about what I see those damn chuckleheads are doing. I boycotted CDs 2 weeks ago. Feels pretty cool. I buy a crapload of CDs.. a serious crapload (or rather I used to before my boycott). RIAA will regret this stupid attempt at circumventing their need for a new business plan. Making 40 million people criminals overnight is their desire, well who will be left to buy their damn crap? I'll tell ya, I really....

oh wait.. I said I wasn't going to start..

*sorry*

Calvin

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I used to buy a dozen or so CDs a month....then I bought my first copy protect CD....stopped buying CDs for 9 months. The only person that suffered, was me.

I still buy CDs...though not as bad as I used to. I'm worried about how expensive it is to rebuild my next music collection with CDs go the way of vinyl.

Though what little vinyl I had left, didn't survive the years of poor handling/storage and finally the move down from Canada....the CDs faired better, the hardly lost any cases considering I just stuffed them in tight into a bunch of boxes.

I just have a hard time moving back to Canada....with the easier access to all the 'toys'. Getting stuff delivered by UPS doesn't suck as bad as it did in Canada. Don't need a FedEx account anymore.... Plus the only person that keeps bugging me to move back to Canada....is my mom. Because she wants to take 'better' care of me....and arrange for me to get married and give her grandsons to spoil...etc. :(

The Dreamer

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TheDreamer
I knew there was a reason to move back to Canada.....too bad my ReplayTV won't work up there.

The Dreamer.
A fellow expatriate? I grew up in Ottawa.

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Creech
A fellow expatriate? I grew up in Ottawa.

Matthew in CO.
I grew up in Calgary, Alberta...and then lived in Medicine Hat for 8 years, before I made the move down here.

The Dreamer.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:
I used to buy a dozen or so CDs a month....then I bought my first copy protect CD....stopped buying CDs for 9 months. The only person that suffered, was me.
True, it's barely effective if only a few do it, but how else do you get your message through loud and clear? This **** has to stop.

Quote:
I just have a hard time moving back to Canada....with the easier access to all the 'toys'. Getting stuff delivered by UPS doesn't suck as bad as it did in Canada. Don't need a FedEx account anymore....

The Dreamer
I like Canada a lot, but this too is a fear of mine. If I were to make a leap, then I would also have a hard time coming back... it's awesome that the US shoots farther ahead, but stinks for me here. However, internet ordering and cross-border shipping has saved me the move.. at least for now..

Calvin

P.S. One of the guys here at work has been doing some research into this very topic. The best article out of all he has found was the following on a Harvard Geeks Law site:

http://grep.law.harvard.edu/article....33&mode=thread

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Has UPS customs clearance to Canada improved, or do you also avoid having stuff shipped by UPS?

I had my own FedEx account, because it was faster and the same price to get stuff shipped collect to my account. Only because UPS charged those ridiculus brokerage fees. Order something for $10, UPS wants $40 for brokerage to collect the 7% GST.

Plus it used to be if you upgrade to faster delivery like 2nd day....it would take 2 days to get to their customs warehouse...but still take a week to get through....

But, I was living in Medicine Hat...so local shopping was kind of limited....I first got into online shopping through Compuserve.....later evolved into general Internet shopping (and online Auctions).

The Dreamer

·
Registered
454 Posts
Quote from article:
Quote:
As the RIAA's "sue your customer" campaign begins to run into stiffening opposition and serious procedural obstacles it may be time to think about a "Plan B". A small levy on storage media, say a penny a megabyte, would be more lucrative than trying to extract 60 million dollars from a music obsessed, file sharing, thirteen year-old.
Wouldn't this add $600 to the cost of a 60Gig drive? Or is my math off?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.