AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An interesting article regarding building an HDTV PVR. Kinda depressing and they use the T*Vo word often often often.

Anyhoo...sounds like the picture quality is great, the software that comes with the HDTV tuner is buggy.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
The only real problem with the HDTV recorders is there's only one card that will allow time shifting. You can get a hdtv tuner with capture software for around $150. That's a pretty sweet deal for a HDTV PVR.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Actually 8.5 GB/Hr. And with 160GB drives for $80 bucks now I think this is not a valid reason to not build it.

There are several cards out there for time shifting now. I can think of 5 off the top of my head! I have used HiPix in the past but am currently building a SageTv powered Access DTV system now.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Sorry Chuck, but what I ment by time shifting is pausing and replaying an live stream or playing a currently recording show from the start while it's recording. The AccessDTV card is the only one the can do this. AFAIK...

All other cards, HiPix, Dvico Fusion, Dvico Fusion II, and MyHD don't do it.

The price of HDs is getting affordable, but there's still the problem of where do you put all the drives? Dumping to a DVHS deck might be a good option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.