AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded to Comcast's new top of the line internet package. After being jealous of all you FiOS people for so long, it's about time we finally got some descent speed around here. I now get 50 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up. It's a shame I didn't have this kind of bandwidth back in Poopli's heyday. Oh well, I still managed to send nearly a 1000 shows to people with my measly 640 kbps DSL connection.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I just moved too far west to stay in Comcast/Chicago and I'm stuck with MediaCom!

WAAAAA.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarler /forum/post/15547915

Don't they have a 250GB cap or something?

Yes. Despite the speed increase, I am still subject to the 250GB monthly cap. It sucks, but to tell you the truth, 250GB is a lot of data. I consider myself to be a pretty heavy user, and I usually don't even come close to the cap. Plus, I honestly don't think Comcast cares very much about the person who occasionally goes over their cap a little. They're out to get the real abusers. The people who have their bit torrent client running for weeks at a time and are constantly maxing out their connections.

·
Registered
428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose /forum/post/15548464

Yes. Despite the speed increase, I am still subject to the 250GB monthly cap. It sucks, but to tell you the truth, 250GB is a lot of data. I consider myself to be a pretty heavy user, and I usually don't even come close to the cap. Plus, I honestly don't think Comcast cares very much about the person who occasionally goes over their cap a little. They're out to get the real abusers. The people who have their bit torrent client running for weeks at a time and are constantly maxing out their connections.

How about when people start downloading movies and shows (esp. HD) from BB/NF/etc. on a frequent basis? That might get you much closer to the cap.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFussy /forum/post/15551366

How about when people start downloading movies and shows (esp. HD) from BB/NF/etc. on a frequent basis? That might get you much closer to the cap.

Actually, I already do a lot of that. I regularly download HDX titles to my Vudu box. Those files are Blu-ray quality and are quite large. I also frequently use bit-torrent to grab TV shows. In fact, bit-torrent has pretty much replaced Poopli for me since the picture quality is better and I can get the shows so much faster. Recently, I have also started streaming Netflix titles to my Tivo. The selection isn't that great yet, but the quality is decent enough, particularly the HD stuff.

But I do agree that 250GB will hardly be enough when this type of streaming becomes more common. One can only assume that when this happens, Comcast will have to seriously rethink those limits.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose /forum/post/15553641

But I do agree that 250GB will hardly be enough when this type of streaming becomes more common. One can only assume that when this happens, Comcast will have to seriously rethink those limits.

Yup...except one major problem that Comcast seems to never talk about is their backbone infrastructure isn't really geared to handle a fully loaded DOCIS3 network and thus the reason for the caps. Trust me on this one, I work in the industry and the HFC network has severe limitations in its design to handle large volumes of bandwidth. Comcast throttling and cap limits is all being done to avoid the ugly truth of the serious limitations of a HFC network.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts