AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the Trans Am from "Smokey and the Bandit" and I'm supercharging it! "Hold on to your ass, Fred"

Just kidding.

I've installed several of the new compact fluorescent light bulbs. They are curly like a pig's tail and supposedly use less energy. One suggestion: Don't get the "Outside light" version as it's kind of harsh.

Anyway, upon first installing them, the color was noticeably brighter (again, the outside light version) but as they've been in for a while - they seem darker. I'm guessing since they are fluorescent - that they flicker a bit. At night now, they almost seem dim. Am I seeing flicker - like a very slow refresh rate? I see brightness, but its almost as if i see the prolonged and frequent dark times... I'd like to use these more often, but not if I have to squint.

Anyone see what I see, or have a brand and wattage that seems OK?

Thanks,

Marshall

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Try a different brand. I went through this. Not all CF bulbs are alike. What I have now is very good and have been consistent for 2 years so far. It just took a bit of trial and error.

Marc

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Yes they vary in quality. I bought all new ones for the house a few months ago at home depot and they work great so far. They were just some cheap generics but still strong and no flicker visible.

Oh, but those are the style for recessed cans, they have a standard looking outer glass covering the curly part so you can't tell it's florescent just looking from any distance.

Still probably the same manufacturer of their standard generics. Give them a shot they're cheap in 4 or 6 packs.

Troy

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I've got them recently too (to make up for my Hummer
). Actually I got them because my power bill will go up 1.5x for the Green power (wind and solar) if I don't reduce usage.

I too found them hit and miss. Some are a nice mellow yellow. Some are a harsh cross of red and blue...ick. One doesn't start reliably...grrr.

Don't get the cheapest ones....

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'll try a different brand and style, but who has been pleased with a particular type? It sounds stupid, bit the brand I have seems OK during the day but dim at night. I know, pile on...

OK, the model I have is N Vision... Anyone?

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
It may not be comparable, but I'll take a look in the box of CF bulb packets (they all have incandescents in them now...what do I do with them? They still work..).

Let you know what brand I'm happy with.

The 18w ones are REALLY BRIGHT I've found.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
The ones I got at home depot are branded "Commercial Electric". 4 pack 14w 8000 hour. Brighter than the spotlights they replaced. Take a minute to warm up of course, pretty dim for the minute or so it takes to warm up. Package says they have some quickstart technology whatever that means, but still there is that minute wait.

I have about 20 of them installed, no problems, huge savings...

Troy

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Quick start is nice, they light up with out flickering like the older ones used too.

I like the fact that they are dim at first, gives my eyes a chance to adjust to the light.

There is no real downside to these CF anymore. As soon as everyone gets used to them and starts to use them we will be saving a ton of energy.

Deron.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Ok, the ones I like are GE, the ones I don't are Mirabella. But, the one that failed almost straight away was GE.

I don't know if you can get them in the US, but that's my experience anyway.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcCinema /forum/post/0

The ones I got at home depot are branded "Commercial Electric". 4 pack 14w 8000 hour. Brighter than the spotlights they replaced. Take a minute to warm up of course, pretty dim for the minute or so it takes to warm up. Package says they have some quickstart technology whatever that means, but still there is that minute wait.

I have about 20 of them installed, no problems, huge savings...

Troy

The Home Depot bulbs do work quite well.

Buy the "warm light" version. I find the light indistinguishable from incandescents other than the short warm up period.

I even replaced the 500w bulb in the pool light with a forty something watt fluorescent. Not quite as bright, but plenty bright enough.

They also last much longer in the garage door opener. Vibration seems not to affect them.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone - the ones I have are from Home Depot. I probably should try a different color - as these are too white.

Also, what I am seeing is that they are really bright withing 3' of the bulb, but kind of dim 6' away and greater. Almost like they cannot fill the area past a certain point. I don't see any warmup period, though... So everyone is happy with the light from the GE brand (if they work).

I didn't know they came in a traditional "bulb" type of cover - these seem to distribute light the best?

·
Registered
121 Posts
The flickering probably means it contains a magnetic ballast as opposed to an electronic one. Magnetic ballasts will flicker @ 60 Hz, electronics will vary based on the size of lamp, but are generally in the KHz range - too fast for the eye to detect. Magnetic ballasts are also less efficient.

Most CFL's will come designed with a color temp of 2700K - 3000K, which is considered "warm white," and closest to an incandescent lamp. 4100K would be considered "cool white" and is often used in offices & retail.

LED's are getting close.. All of the "EXIT" signs we stock now are LED lit, and some store-front signage is starting to change over too. At a recent event here the Sylvania rep was showing an LED recessed can light with a "warm white" light color.. Looked very promising..

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Most of mine are made by "Lights of America" sold at home depot. They are all electronic ballast and don't flicker. ALL except the circlelights are dimmer when they first turn on. Also, they take longer to reach full brightness when it's very cold. But my regular straight tubes are even worse when it's cold.

I really like the twisted tube bulbs. In my shop they give me 150watts of light for ... 29?

Have various types all over the house now. Failure rate is very low. Came a LOOOONG way from the early bulbs.

Marc

·
Registered
415 Posts
I like the compact fluorescent bulbs made by Technical Consumer Products (TCPI.com), which are available from several on-line vendors. I've ordered from 1000bulbs.com. Web links at bottom of this message. I think the TCPI bulbs are brighter and have better color rendering (closer to incandescents) than many other brands, also have been very reliable, with no flickering. I prefer the 2700 K to 3500 K ("warm" to "slightly warm") color temperatures, which are closest in appearance to standard or halogen incandescents.

Besides the common spiral type, TCPI makes bulbs with the spirals enclosed in an outer bulb shaped like a standard incandescent, globe, or reflector flood; these are best for "open" style lamps or fixtures, because the bare spirals are uncomfortably bright to look at directly. They also make three-way and dimmable compact fluorescents.

TCPI product literature states "specialized glass coating, tri-phosphor mix and lead-free glass provides better lumens and lumen maintenance over life of the bulb". The claim "better lumens" means brighter (more visible light output) than competing products, "better lumen maintenance" means that the brightness decreases more slowly over some long operation time like 10,000 hours.

http://www.tcpi.com/lighting-solutio...ent-lamps.aspx

(can download full or select catalog from this page)

http://www.1000bulbs.com/category.php?category=14

·
Registered
415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/0

I'm curious about how they compare with LEDs, and when we'll start seeing LED based bulbs? My understanding is that LEDs are pretty darn efficient as well, I don't know how they compare to flourescents though.

Currently, fluorescent bulbs, whether cylinder or compact types for general lighting applications, or CCFLs used for backlighting in LCD or rear projection HDTVs, are still the champions for energy efficiency; i.e, highest electrical to optical conversion ratio (lumens/watt). However fluorescent lighting is a mature technology, with maybe five decades of R&D, and is unlikely to improve noticeably in the future. High-brightness LEDs are a much newer technology, and still improving rapidly. It's likely (I believe almost certain) that the best LEDs will surpass fluorescent bulbs in energy efficiency within several years.

Overview of solid-state lighting (LEDs), Sandia National Laboratory
http://www.sandia.gov/lighting/XlightingoverviewFAQ.htm

Press release, Jan. 23, 2007

"Philips Lumileds shatters 350 mA performance records

with 115 lm/Watt LED"
http://lumileds.com/newsandevents/releases/PR64.pdf

·
Registered
5,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcCinema /forum/post/0

Take a minute to warm up of course, pretty dim for the minute or so it takes to warm up.

This is what I hate about these. Are there any that don't do this? I don't leave lights on when leaving rooms, so flipping on these in a dark hallway is horrible. I've pretty much given up on them and am going to try to find some LED ones. They use even less energy and last WAAAAAAY longer.

Dave

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,165 Posts
What I am going to say about these CFLs will sure sound REALLY weird....

I know of someone who installed a LOT of these CFLs from Costco....you know the cheap ones. He has a 5500 sq ft house. So there are a huge number of them.

Here is the weird thing....on one particular circuit.....the bathroom....one of the vanity's lights would "burn out" the moment we switch them on. After losing 2 or 3 of these CFLs...he just left that vanity light alone.

I recently installed some recessed lights in the same circuit and installed some PAR30 halogens. All was good until they also literally exploded the next day!!
Actually they exploded internally .

Anyway, uopn checking the whole circuit I could not find anything amiss. So on a hunch I removed all the CFLs from that circuit and replaced them with cheap light bulbs.

VIOLA...everything is OK now

Are there ghosts in that circuit or what?

The only thing I can think of is that "maybe" by removing those burnt out CFLs...I removed something which may cause a surge?

Or maybe it has something to do with power factor? I read a LONG time back that installing a huge number of flourescent lamps requires use of PF correction capacitors. Maybe that was old school but still spplies to these new fangled CFLS

Oh by the way....these CFLs light VERY dim in sub-zero temperatures. I lived in NH and had such a CFL on my porch...it took a long time to reach full brightness.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.