AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in West Warwick, RI, a couple miles from the Station (fire). Needless to say, I have been touched by that tragedy in many personal ways.

Anyway, CSI's Monday episode is based upon the fire, but our local CBS affiliate is not running it (for obvious, yet curious, reasons - the wounds are still deep here). I can't pull the Boston stations with my OTA antenna.

I'm not asking that anyone send me the show (which is not allowed on these forums), but if you watch CSI regularly, could you drop me an email at brian7972 (at) cox (dot) net? I'd like to get your thoughts on the episode after you watch it.

In case you're wondering, I'd like to know whether our affiliate is pulling the episode because it's "too true," "not true," or something else.

Thanks...

B

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
In case anyone else was as confused as I was, he's not talking about a fire station.

He's talking about the nightclub fire at "The Station" in West Warwick, RI, on 2/20/2003.

That should jog your memory.

Robert

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugh - sorry...yeah, I was incredibly cryptic...what Reden said...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the affiliate, "It wasn't a difficult decision," after reviewing the tape.

CBS corporate: "We respect the right of the station to determine what is appropriate to broadcast in its local area."

I guess it's a testament to how fresh the wounds still are, so I can understand the decision, but for a host of other reasons, I'd like to know what the show depicted.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
The world is full of self-appointed protectors of __________(insert just about anything here). Apparently you and I can't be trusted to make any judgement as to how we wish to conduct our lives. A pox on them!

·
Registered
189 Posts
This is one of the reasons I wish Direct TV would allow subscriptions to local stations other than your own. But the "protectors" have made their deals here, also, and you can't.

·
Registered
983 Posts
without getting into a HUGE debate, but i think that pulling that episode locally is wrong. people CAN make their own decisions and if they don't want to watch it, they won't. i'm not gonna pretend to understand what it would be like to have lost someone in that tragedy, but if i did and i thought it would be too tough for me, i wouldn't watch...plain and simple.

it's not like it's something that's right up in your face or anything....just don't turn on the TV from 10-11PM on 5/5...it's that easy. i don't think the RI people need to be "protected" by their local affilliate.

just my 2 pennies....sturmie

btw, my heart goes out to anyone that lost someone in that fire...my post doesn't reflect my feelings about the incident, but more about the censorship=protection argument.

·
Registered
35 Posts
why dont you just drive up to boston and watch it somewhere like a hotel or something? I used to live in providence, its only like a 45 minute drive :)

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doc - I don't have a passport to leave Rhode Island...you know how we are... ;)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'm not sure of the psychology of it, but the entertainment industry almost *always* pulls shows that are too close to a recent tragedy. The movie "Phone Booth" was originally scheduled to come out during the period when the Beltway sniper was attacking, and it was pushed back to the spring.

Yes, people don't have to watch the episode. But the simple act of using a tragedy as the basis for entertainment is seen as insensitive. TV stations depend on the good will of their viewers, and they don't want to offend them (I know, it's offensive what they try to pass off as "entertaining" these days).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.