AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is way way off topic, but I know that there are some people out there involved with JP1 (what ever that is) and other things...

Here's basically what I want to do with my MX-500 remote that I just recently purchased...

Create commands for replay to be:

- descrete power off (not a toggle)

- descrete power on (not a toggle)

Create commands for my Panasonic PT-40LC12 TV to:

- change input to Line 1

- change input to Component 1

- change input to TV

- change input to Component 2

- descrete power off

- descrete power on

Create commands for my Panasonic DVD-RP62

- descrete power off (not a toggle)

- descrete power on (not a toggle)

Of course what I really want is the dummies manual on how to do this. I looked on some other sites like remotecentral.com which talk about buying all kinds of other remotes and then programing them, but no clear sense on how to do this.

Ideally, some kind person out there might send me a remote with the codes set into it, so I could borrow it for the ten minutes (of course proper reimbursement can be arranged) that I'd need it to set up the macros without having to become overly educated on hacking together remotes etc...

Any takers?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Here is all the information you could possibly need to learn about JP1.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/

I am nearly positive that the MX500 can be programmed using JP1. Honestly it is easy. I am the clumsiest solderer on the face of the planet and it took me about 1/2 hour to make the cable. Robman, here on this forum, has made the process of programming remotes extremely easy.

Best,

Matthew in CO.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Software and hardware designers love toggles. They simplify the interface. Novice users love toggles. They simplify the interface. Power users hate toggles. Without knowing the current state it is impossible to know whether you will be turning something on or off.

Unfortunately, novice users are the ones who buy systems, so the designers and marketeers win out and we get lots of toggles.

The ideal interface would have 3 codes, on, off, and toggle. But that's three times as much work as is required to sell the system. So it usually does not happen.

The good news is that this may not be the case for Replay. There are discreet codes in the web interface to turn the unit on and off. (httputils...cioc=xxx). So there may also be remote codes for this. The remote gurus will know, I don't.

But I am not optimistic about your other devices.

·
Registered
607 Posts
empyle, you'd be amazed how many devices have discrete power codes. and even discrete input selects for that matter. and if not, a lot of times a work around will work. For example, most DVD players will turn on if you hit play (or sometimes stop) so you could do

discrete on = macro of play, then stop

discrete off = macro of play then power

Not nearly as elegant as discretes, but it works.

for TV inputs, a lot of times tuning to a specific channel and then going up or down one channel will change inputs. Or just tune any channel and then hit the input toggle. that may not work as well if you have multiple inputs (as it appears you do).

Read the JP1 yahoo group as well, i'm betting you'll find a decent number of your devices will have discrete codes. your devices are fairly common so there's a good chance someone has already found them.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Evan,

Which version of Replay do you have? If you have the 2000 or 3000 series you already have a JP1 remote, because the Replay remote that comes with these units is a JP1 remote.

There are discretes for Replay but you will need a JP1 cable to program them.

For the TV, use setup code TV/0250 and then you can use the following advanced codes to program most of the discretes (except the component inputs, you'll need JP1 for those)

022 Discrete Power On

026 Discrete Power Off

185 Discrete Video 1 Input Select

183 Discrete Video 2 Input Select

187 Discrete Video 3 Input Select

180 Discrete Video 4 Input Select

The Panasonic DVD should use DVD/0490 but I don't know if the discrete power codes work with is, but you could try the same codes that the TV uses. However, there's something in the back of my mind telling me that while the discrete ON works, there's a problem with discrete OFF.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The MX-500 is NOT a JP1 remote. You will need to use one of the OFA or RadioShack remotes that can transmit advanced codes. Then its a simple job to teach the MX-500 the discrete codes and set up the macros. JP1 programming is probably not necessary when teaching the MX-500.

Don

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to thank everyone so far for the help, but it does appear that I'm going to have to go to JP1 to get some of the programing pieces. Of course my biggest stumbling block right now is that the discrete codes for my Panny TV for doing things like switching to Component 1 or Component 2 etc don't appear to exist.

Rob recommended buying one of the cheap 6 in 1's from Radio Shack which I did and that gave me at least the ability to get some codes for ON and OFF for a couple of devices...

And just for laughs, here's part of the unweildy Macro I created for switching to my TV to the DVD input on Component 1.

- TV Power On

- DVD Power On

- VCR Power On

- TV to channel 5

- Turn on Picture in Picture

- Swap

- TV to channel 2

- Swap

- PIP channel down (to Video 2 - VCR)

- Swap

- TV Input Toggle (Component 1 is right after Video 2)

- Switch to DVD

The problems are that you can't channel to Video or Component in from the main tuner, but you can from PIP. Then it took me a while to figure out why it wasn't consistently working and it turns out that you can't have the same tuner image on both displays and by chance I had it on one either channel 2 or Video 2 already and then it would skip over to the wrong place etc.... What a nightmare :( for trying to just have Turn to Component 1.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:( Already did... no one has the codes for this particular model. Someone else posted a while back looking for the codes and came away empty. This model appears to have some slighly different codes.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hmmm. I know some guy came up with 256 panny possibilities. I tried all of them and found feature etc. that have not been mentioned there. (Granted my TV is newer) It still might be worth a try. I have noticed that their discrete section is not that updated. The message board is much more useful.

I don't remember the thread but the codes were in a ccf.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Rob gave you four discrete codes for four video inputs. Are you saying that your tv has more than four inputs? Is it possible that Component input 1 is just another name for, e.g., video 3?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by The Robman
...The Panasonic DVD should use DVD/0490 but I don't know if the discrete power codes work with is, but you could try the same codes that the TV uses. However, there's something in the back of my mind telling me that while the discrete ON works, there's a problem with discrete OFF.
Rob, your memory is great as usual. The RP56 has a problem where sending it a discrete off turns it off but sort of crashes it so that you can't turn it back on via the remote (once you crash it, I forget what you need to do to restore it -- maybe unplug it, or maybe power it on via the button on the unit). Most people don't care too much about this problem since when you're done with the dvd you typically pull it out physically and at that poiint you can turn the unit off manually.

I suspect the rp62 has the same issues as an rp56 in this regard.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by asinshesq
Rob gave you four discrete codes for four video inputs. Are you saying that your tv has more than four inputs? Is it possible that Component input 1 is just another name for, e.g., video 3?
Yes it has 6 inputs

- 3 Video

- 2 Component

- 1 RGB

I tried the discretes and none of those appeared to work. I just recently found some information about TV_0637 Panasonic 128.4 which may work, but of course I don't have a JP1 kit and I have a 15-2104 which is one of the controls that the poster was sure didn't include the code.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.