http://digitalhomecanada.com/index.p...=561&Itemid=51

The 16-page paper also has some interesting comments on a comparison

after a four-week "accelerated aging" test. Plasma brightness was down 5.5%,

but LCD was down 11.2% and a microdisplay projector down 22.8%. Hmmm:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...0-%20FINAL.pdf

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Hmmmm, I'll have to check that out when I get some free time. Sounds far better that CRT burn-in. Sounding like Plasma ain't that bad? You have to wonder when a manufacturer sponsors a study like this...

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaysideBas
The 16-page paper also has some interesting comments on a comparison

after a four-week "accelerated aging" test. Plasma brightness was down 5.5%,

but LCD was down 11.2% and a microdisplay projector down 22.8%. Hmmm:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...0-%20FINAL.pdf
I found this article to be very interesting. There did not seem to be an absolute superior product presented in the article. The conclusion presented at the end of the article on Page 14 is IMO spot on as was much (all?) of the rest of the article.

However, there is one thing they did not mention and that is maintenance of the various sets. For example, when brightness degrades in a DLP or LCD projector you can replace the bulb to bring it up to out of the box specs. Plasma does seem to degrade more gracefully so this probably is not a major issue for plasma.

That said, there is one problem the plasmas can't get around. If any of the pixels go, they are gone. There is no way to repair them. The same is not true for LCD projection or DLP. You can replace the MCD or LCD.

I was recently in sports bar where they had 4 year old plasmas. Admittely, they get a lot of work since they are on 12 X 7. The picture was awful. There were many dead pixels. I asked the owner about this and he said they started going out about 2 years after he bought them. I won't mention the brand, but lets just say it was a mainstream brand. I truly hope that other brands or more modern plasmas do not have the same problem.

I should disclose that as of next Sunday a 50" Samsung DLP 1080P that will be added to my family. OK, I'm just bragging! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.