AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been addressed but the search engine comes up with a lot of hits for this and I don't know how else to narrow it down.

W2K got weird and had to be reinstalled. Then I installed JRE 1.4.1_02 and DVArchive 2.0A. Everything seemed to work okay until I brought over some content. Clicking one thing was no problem ... clicking two caused my Replay to crash immediately.

W2K with SP3 and whatever else Windows update says should be in there.

If this is covered in a thread someone has bookmarked, please let me know.

Thanks, as always ...

Hank

·
Registered
253 Posts
The problem you are describing, your ReplayTV crashing, does not sound like a PC/OS related problem.

To me it sounds as if your ReplayTV unit was doing too much and crashed.

What was your ReplayTV doing when it crashed? Was it recording a program as well as playing back a program - maybe in medium or high quality?

I have found that my ReplayTV acts funny when I am asking it to do too much as one time. My unit has crashed, lost many/all recorded shows, etc.

Now I set the download rate in DVArchive to a reasonable 200Kb/s. It takes a while but I know that my unit will not crash or perform erratically.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by j.freiman
The problem you are describing, your ReplayTV crashing, does not sound like a PC/OS related problem.

To me it sounds as if your ReplayTV unit was doing too much and crashed.

What was your ReplayTV doing when it crashed? Was it recording a program as well as playing back a program - maybe in medium or high quality?

I have found that my ReplayTV acts funny when I am asking it to do too much as one time. My unit has crashed, lost many/all recorded shows, etc.

Now I set the download rate in DVArchive to a reasonable 200Kb/s. It takes a while but I know that my unit will not crash or perform erratically.

It wasn't recording ... the one time it crashed while playing it was simply on live TV. It's just odd in that there's nothing different about the machine ( to my knowledge all of the drivers are the same ) and DVArchive never caused Replay to crash before.

Except for the well-known timing issue with larger files I never had DVArchive work incorrectly so I am inclined to think it is doing something strange to crash the Replay, since it very rarely crashed in the past and it happens every time I try to use DVArchive now.

·
Registered
253 Posts
How about this then...

Maybe it was a coincidence that you were using DVArchive when your system crashed.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by j.freiman
How about this then...

Maybe it was a coincidence that you were using DVArchive when your system crashed.
Come on now ... I appreciate any responses but at least try to be serious. Do you think I would have written if this had happened only once? As of now, I have uninstalled DVA and Java at least four times ... and any time I download things from DVA the Replay crashes.

Since it did not crash in the past I am just asking for people who may have seen something about this for advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had the same thing happen to my 5xxx series, but not as consistently. It's happened 2 times in the last 6 months, both when asking the replay to do too much at one time as described above. I do think this is the same problem you are having. You described that you only had the replay playing live TV at the time, but this is probably the most taxing task for the Replay to do. It is recording a signal (I think in High Quality), and then playing it back a few seconds later. It's actually performing 2 tasks at once when watching live TV.

I'd suggest lowering that speed just to test the theory.

As for the crashing, sorry, I know that's not fun. I've lost a bunch of recordings on those 2 occasions. The only fix I could find was to reset the Replay back to factory settings. Then it was fine again, but I did have to reprogram everything.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jlawlertnf
I've had the same thing happen to my 5xxx series, but not as consistently. It's happened 2 times in the last 6 months, both when asking the replay to do too much at one time as described above. I do think this is the same problem you are having. You described that you only had the replay playing live TV at the time, but this is probably the most taxing task for the Replay to do. It is recording a signal (I think in High Quality), and then playing it back a few seconds later. It's actually performing 2 tasks at once when watching live TV.

I'd suggest lowering that speed just to test the theory.

As for the crashing, sorry, I know that's not fun. I've lost a bunch of recordings on those 2 occasions. The only fix I could find was to reset the Replay back to factory settings. Then it was fine again, but I did have to reprogram everything.

Hope this helps.

I don't suppose anyone knows the registry entries for DVA? I have tried searching for DV Archive and DVArchive and deleting those keys, etc. but when I reinstall it, I still get my old settings so I am missing an entry somewhere. If it is a bad install and I can get rid of DVA and Java completely I can try it over again. As it is now I am just reinstalling over other bad installations.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Not sure about 2.0a, but for 1.1a, I believe that configuation was done via an xml file, not by registry entries. Look for a DVArchive.xml file in the folder for the appropriate user under the Documents and Settings directory.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hank,

jlawlertnf is right. The problem is that your Replay can't gracefully throttle the outgoing data to a level that allows it to operate normally so it panics. I can't watch live TV and download 2 shows simultaneously. Nor can I watch a medium quality show with 2 going. I have DVArchive's "network" settings set at the default and a 5040. So this behavior doesn't seem out of the ordinary.

Did you possibly change the "network" settings in your previous install to throttle your transfer rates ("network" in quotes since I don't have DVA in front of me and I can't remember what they are called).

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by joule
Hank,

jlawlertnf is right. The problem is that your Replay can't gracefully throttle the outgoing data to a level that allows it to operate normally so it panics. I can't watch live TV and download 2 shows simultaneously. Nor can I watch a medium quality show with 2 going. I have DVArchive's "network" settings set at the default and a 5040. So this behavior doesn't seem out of the ordinary.

Did you possibly change the "network" settings in your previous install to throttle your transfer rates ("network" in quotes since I don't have DVA in front of me and I can't remember what they are called).

No, the only thing that has changed was I had to reinstall W2K ... so I was looking for any experience with service packs or security updates that might cause havoc.

On its first install I used all of the defaults for DVA and never had a problem ... with the TV on or not. Now I can't get it to work without crashing the replay. I toned down the speed and we'll see if that works.

Thanks,

Hank

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by acourvil
Oh, one other note, probably unrelated to your problem, but I'll add it as well: I have found JRE 1.4.0 to work better than 1.4.1 (again, with DVArchive 1.1a).
I'm starting to think one of these W2K 'fixes' is hosing this thing up. I can't think of any audio, video or network card driver that can be the problem. I have uninstalled 2 and used 1.1 and had the same problem. I have used 1.4.1 and 1.4.1_02 and had the same problem. It's a real shame that this thing crashed on me. I had it working so nicely with defaults. None of this 'crash if the Replay is on' or, now, even off foolishness.

The only thing I do not know is when I Windows updated the thing what Windows actually added that may be different than the setup I had before I reinstalled a few days ago.

Naturally I will keep looking.

I'm not averse to formatting the stupid drive again ... but given a choice I would rather not.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have basically found that I cannot use my replay 5160 if DVArchive is downloading. Nor will it even record if I'm downloading.

I have also found that after it downloads to the Import folder, it seems to lose track of where it put it and leaves a cryptic number MPG file in the Import directory.

I have only managed to download 2 half-hour shows and have given up on DVArchive until I have time to experiment some more. BTW, I'm running Windows XP and I tried it with and without SP1.

Using QVision for now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.