AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I do too. So I wrote a little web app to track all of that and help people expand their DVD lending and borrowing capabilities. Using web services, we gather a good bit of information about your DVD just from the title, making it easy and fun to enter in your collection.

I'd love to have a few people from here help me test it, its pre-alpha now, looking to go beta in a week.

Let me know what you think:
http://www.dvdjones.com

1) Sign up

2) Add DVDs

3) Invite Friends

(I needed something to do with Planet Replay going downhill and all).

·
Registered
452 Posts
Looks pretty good so far. Right now, the biggest problem I see with it is the Genre selection. Is there any reason it can't be grabbed from the DVD info source? If not, there needs to be a way to change it later. Right now mistakes have to be deleted and re-added.

Right now, I'm not set up with any friends. When you are viewing titles to borrow, do you see all of the titles from your friends in one big pool, or do you have to select the friend first, then browse their titles?

BTW, I did a similar app just for internal use where I work. Interesting little project - I assume you are using IMDB for your lookups. If not, where is the data coming from? Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually editting DVDs will go in tonight hopefully with the borrowing bit. Genres I just based on Netflix with some alterations, I sure everyone has their own opinion so I'll look at customizing it more to the user.... once everything else is working.

Lookups are done via Amazon's SOAP interface. Its not as robust as I like, but its free is you hock their warez.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heh, I was coding... just finished up editing your dvds. Will add the code to the site tonight when I update from CVS.

If you invite someone, they will be added as your friend when they sign up, then you can look at each's library. As of this second, you see all your friends' DVDs alphabetically (personal video store). I'll be adding more options later (like certain friends, genres, ect). You can also add a friend just by their email if they don't use our handy sign up link.

Thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have a way to manually enter in DVDs. Its been pretty reliable but obviously not viable for really old titles.

Ive just sent up new changes, you can now edit DVDs for entering more information or fixing ratings / genres.

I could have waited until it was more complete to show people but I just got too excited today, everyone at work loved it so.... up it went for more feedback.

Also, my post in another forum for this service was deleted as against the rules. So go there while you can. I hope Justin here has my back though. :)

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Add a request dialog: "Please be kind, rewind."

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dude, what a cool idea! I have neighbors and friends borrowing my DVDs all the time (the next door neighbor sometimes calls my place "Blockbuster"). I was going to keep a running spreadsheet, but then I got so busy, er, lazy! I'll try the site out.

And oh, could you add a section for overdue fees?:p

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions hehe. I'll be uploading more changes tonight and will be working on it all weekend. Feel free to use the bug report form to add suggestions as well.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Looks cool. I haven't created an account yet, so i've just been perusing the site. Does it keep track of all the DVDs a friend has borrowed in the past (like a "history" archive)? Also, are you planning on any mass-upload tool? I don't feel like adding in all 400+ DVD details..

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hey there,

I don't want to take away from your efforts or the value of your app. I just wanted to let this thread know that there is also an app out there called DVDprofiler ( http://www.dvdprofiler.com/ ) where you can input your collection into a db stored locally on your pc, but also upload it to their site. It will create a web based collection for people to view. To get DVDs into your system it will allow the entries of dvds by title, UPC, and by disk ID (requires you to insert DVD into a dvd drive to be scanned by software).

Anyway, I bought the pro version , but you can get the other version for free and you will have to put up with the adds within the gui. But the cool thing is people maintain the datbase of DVDs (about 65000 last I looked). I takes that UPC and populates your local db with an id and a copy of the scanned jacket. Many have the actors, genre, length, rating and a number of other characteristics. you can also flagged things as loaned out and such. You can also customize the way you view the dvds on your local gui.

And lastly, you can publish to their website where you get your own little personal space. Anyway, I found it very useful to manage my collection and what my friends call their "rentals" from me.

Cheers

Calvin

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We will keep a history eventually, not in the next week though. I have planned for it. You will be surprised how easy it is to add DVDs and why I don't want people to 'mass upload' their collection. We gather all the details for you (including art) but need some of your help in which you may have. There are tons of Lord of the Rings versions. :)

Calvin --

Well the problem with that... where to start... well its Windows only (sorry I have a mac), my friends cant auto send me requests, its not accessable on all computers, it can cost money, etc. I have a specific need and think many other people do. Providing something fast, free, and helpful gives me something to do while the girlfriends out of town.

I know other wheels exist, but I want MY wheel. :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
q3ded,

Understood.. and sorry I was a platform biggot on that one :) As a windows user I was just happy to be able to keep track of those pesky movies. Again, I in no way wanted to take away from your effort and it's benefits.. Awesome that you have done it, are maintaining/improving it AND are sharing it:)

Cheers

Calvin

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NP, competition is great.... for ideas. heh.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
One thing none of the other dvd inventory website/programs do is a GOOD job at lending. DVDprofiler sorta lets you track it, but that part is not integrated into the web and is really clumsy anyway. It would be way cool if dvdjones were to focus on the request/check-out/check-in functionality. Here's something I'd like to see:

1) Import of titles based on UPC - I'd like to export a list of UPCs from DVDprofiler and just be able to upload or cut'n'paste them into dvdjones and have it do the right thing. I've tried other sites that try to do title recognition and they just don't work so well when you have a ton of DVDs to add at once.

2) Let borrowers create accounts and then link to the libraries of a list of lenders. Then they can do a "view all" which combines the libraries of all the lenders that are in their list.

3) Let lenders specify some terms, like total number of DVDs per borrower per time-period (n-days where n is 0 to infinity), and max length to borrow and if a DVD is not returned in time, automatically send email and/or a website alert when they next log in to the borrower and the lender to remind them, etc.

4) Let borrowers check-off the DVDs they want to borrow and then hit submit to send a "borrow request" to the lenders of the chosen DVDs. Send the request to the lenders' email, but also be tracked on the website so that when the lender actually hands the disc to the borrower, he can just click a check box next to each DVD in the list of requested DVDs and then submit to have dvdjones keep track.

5) Allow arbitrary grouping of titles (typically by genre, but ultimately on any field in the database - such as by date of theatrical release, date of DVD release, or date of DVD acquisition). For example, I'd like to have a list of the 30 or so most recently acquired DVDs in my collection, that way my borrowers can quickly look at what's new. Also, most of my borrowers have a prejudice against anime, but I've recently gone on an anime kick. It would be nice for them if I had a listing of everything but Anime. Then for those looking to watch movies with their kids, a listing of all PG movies, etc.

6) Optional historical tracking. It would be nice to get a list of all borrowers for a specific disc and when they borrowed it and vice versa, all discs borrowed by a specific borrower. But the option for total system purging should be there too. And I mean total purging, not just no-longer available through the standard user interface but still stored on disk somewhere. With the terribly anti-American Patriot act letting the govt secretly subpoena library and bookstore records, the only way to legally protect people's civil liberties is to irrevocably delete the records as soon as the transaction is completed (in this case, the DVD is returned). Such an option should be available in dvdjones too, and don't put in a backdoor secret switch to start monitoring without telling the users involved. If the code isn't there, they can't reasonably ask you to add it.

That's it off the top of my head. I realize it is asking for a lot, but I'd certainly be willing to chip in for something as functional as I've outlined - I paid for DVDprofiler so I sure wouldn't mind paying for this. I'm a pretty hardcore lender with a big library so I don't know how many other people would like to see this kind of functionality though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1) UPC... maybe sometime... Amazon might already offer that fuction via SOAP. I'd look into that after beta. The amazon search is pretty decent, works about 98% of the time. Mainly foriegn or XXX dvds are the biggest misses. Try it out on my site, its really good, even with mispellings ('austn pwers').

2) Thats already there.

3) We'll have a preference for sending auto emails.

4) Its even easier than that. To owner will get an email requesting the dvd along with direct links to check out and check in that title.

5) There will be a 'new this week' or something similar. Its nice to know what my group of friends has added in the last month. Of course this month its everything.... heh.

6)Im not sure if I will track or not. Mostly it could just be up to the individual. After running Planet Replay, Im inclined to not track anything.

Don't worry, I'll add a paypal donate link in the future. Also, any DVD you see there auto-links to Amazon for purchase as well. It would be nice if this someday supported my DVD habits.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Is there a way to do bulk imports? As far as I can see, it is limited to one title at a time. I've got way too many to do that - that's why I suggested the UPC method. DVDAfficiando has a bulk import by title, but the pattern matching is so-so and the subsequent having to manually confirm each title in case the system came up with a poor match was just unbearable.

Also, is there a way you can pull in ratings from IMDB, since Amazon owns IMDB that would seem reasonable. I haven't actually watched anywhere near all the movies in my collection, so rating them is not really feasible. Baring no other place to get ratings info from, there should be an option for "no rating as of yet," rather than being forced to pick 1-5 starts as it is now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunately there is no way for me to pull UPC from Amazon, I checked. Ratings are possible but I havent seen a point (since they are user based, not IMDBs). I am starting to collect my own UPC data, but its on a one by one basis. It wouldn't be feasable to try a bulk import until I had at least thousand or so. I may be able to get more, but I want to finish all the basics features of the site too. If you like, you can send me your UPCs and it would give me something to play with in the next week or so.

I can add an option for Not rated sometime soon, I just want to get search and borrow done tonight. :) Don't worry Im burning the midnight oil and want to work on most of these suggestions. Its nice to see some of the community interested.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.