AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to repair a DVDO precision analog HD15 to 5-BNC 75ohm coaxial cable. Basically the blue wire has become separated off the HD15 plug.

Upon removal of the moulded plastic cover there is a wrapping of thin copper sheet that has been 'earthed' to the metal of the HD15 end and to some of the shielding wire. This is all around some sort of thermoplastic insulating around the 5 wires.

Each wire has a metal coaxial shielding around the core, for each wire about half of this sheilding wire is twiched together to form two sections. For the RGB, three of the 'halves' of this sheilding wire are again twiched together and get connected to the RGB grounds on the HD15 plug end.....the H & V sync 'halves' of the shielding wires are also connected to the H & V grounds points on the plug.

What is not apparent is how the halves of the shielding wire that is not terminated on a pin connect. It looks like all the separated sheilding is soldered to this piece of copper foil at the cable end, and then soldered to the base of the plug end. This is done over some sort of thermoplastic isulator that has been poured over all the 5 connection wires, to obviously separate the copper foil from the pins of the plug.

My question is how to best repair the cable, and how nessesary is it to go to the trouble of the copper foil 'earth'. Basically it is impossible for me to replace the insulating plastic blob that surrounds the wired connections of the HD15, and this makes the copper foil grounding difficult to isolate, I've tried heating up this plastic to get it into a molten state to wrap around the connections, but I'm not having much joy. Should I persist down this path, or should i do away with the splitting of the shielding and bundle it all together and ground it at the HD15 pin, instead of the dual grounding thing?

I'm no soildering expert, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've picked up a soldering iron.

Any advice would be appreciate.

Cheers

·
Registered
289 Posts
Dan,

Years ago I used to blob stuff called liquid rubber into tight conductors like this. Assuming complete coverage, the foil wrap should be straightforward.

The stuff was in a tube and coloured black. I can't remember where I used to buy it. Oddly enough, an Internet search for liquid rubber sends me in the direction of Adult entertainment'.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.