AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an AV install technician by trade, and one of my current jobs is a theater remodel/upgrade in a high end home. As far as I know, not a single piece of gear is being re-used from the 7 year old system.

One interesting piece of now "defunct" gear is this first generation DLP projector from Electrohome. It is a VistaGRAPHX 7000, and it's at least one and a half times the size of my Ampro 4600. The configuration is also kind of interesting. The pj is actually under the floor and is mounted pointing downward and (in its old configuration) bounced off a mirror and onto a rear projection surface. It is also mounted on a track-rolling cart to allow easy access for service. Unfortunately I arrived at the job after the screen and mirror(s) were removed so I was never able to see it in action. My collegues assure me it didn't look that great.

Today I was told I could have it if only I could get it out. Given the unique installation (removal) challenges and the number of steps UP TO THE STREET I feel confident that the projector shall reside in it's current location at least until the house is sold and/or remodelled again
Having never seen it in action I'll gladly pass. But it DOES have a spare lamp laying down there...

As a side note, this client has purchased the much-discussed Sony Qualia for his new projector. We'll be installing it next week and I get to see it in action!

-Mark

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I'll pay you $50.00 to send it to Tim's home. Unannounced.

;)

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Send it UPS and insure it for $10,000.

:)

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Yeah, but how are you going to get UPS to lose it? :)

By the way, and this is for real, I am going to post pictures next week of the oldest Ampro projector known to exist. It might be the first one ever built. It predates any Ampro model that I have found to be discussed in the AVS Forum so far. It is a stupendous find IMHO, acquired in a high-end estate sale recently, and I am getting it photographed and documented before unveiling it to everyone. I have never seen a model that predates this one, and I think it will wind up being a real museum piece. I think I might even build a lighted cabinet and keep it behind glass in the hallway leading to my main HT, just as a conversation piece, since I can't determine how many hours are on the chassis. As mentioned before, I am trying to find out if it is the first Ampro ever built. Does anybody know their serial number system? More later.........

So, mtmelven, how could I coerce you (with lots of dollars of course) to lug that 1st gen monster up the stairs and ship to me so that I could give the PJ the home that it deserves? After all, I need a new boat anchor for the 45-foot Charlie Morgan sailboat here on the Chesapeake. The old Sharp 320x200 LCD lamp box from 1991 finally rusted through and fell off this summer :(

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Pre Aquastar and Aquaray? I have two Rays here, video only, Clinton tubes, circa 1985.

;)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Didn't Ampro also produce film projectors? I see them for sale from time to time. I think someone else posted some pics of an OLD Ampro a while back...

Regarding shipping UPS, projectorcentral.com lists the original MSRP as $94,995, so why not round up and insure it for an even $100k? After all, it does come with the extra lamp :)

And by the way, the lamp itself is larger than many current digital projectors I have seen. AND this beast runs on 220v! Maybe tomorrow I'll see if it powers up, just for kicks.

-Mark

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Don't burn the house down! Either due to the current draw, or the bulb imploding!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmelvin
Didn't Ampro also produce film projectors? I see them for sale from time to time. I think someone else posted some pics of an OLD Ampro a while back...
Here's a fairly early 16mm model (1940's)

Jon

·
Registered
Certified Audiophile ;-)
2,164 Posts
Hi Mark,

Nice to see a new post from you! :cool:

Haven't seen you here for a while , I guess your new job is keeping you busy.

Hey when I saw that ampro at your home it was the BIGGEST pj I ever saw. Add to it the fact that it was hanging over our heads....brrrr it was scary to sit there ! HA HA ! :D

So this one's even bigger, eh ? WOW.

I'd like to see what you think about the Qualia. Keep us posted!

-Rajiv

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Hey, nice stand, maybe you could get that out? :D

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Didn't Ampro also produce film projectors? I see them for sale from time to time.

-Mark
No connection between the Ampro that made projectors and the Ampro that made so so CRT projectors. The film projector company made great machines. The company's high point was during WW II when they sold thousands of projectors to the government for flying trainers, etc. ;)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Techman-

Thanks for making that distinction... for a moment there I thought that I had a better than so so projector ;)

Seriously though, are the two companies not related historically AT ALL? I find it interesting that two seperate companies could use that name, and both make projection equipment, and have no connection at all. Or are there subtle differences in the name perhaps? Just curious.

Funny that you mention the stand. Today we were noting that the rolling stand is probably more valuable (or useful at least) than the projector.

Today we sealed up the floor over that old digital. It felt like sealing a tomb. There is still an access hole, although much too small to remove the projector...

unless it comes out in pieces :)

-Mark

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Techman-

Thanks for making that distinction... for a moment there I thought that I had a better than so so projector ;)

Seriously though, are the two companies not related historically AT ALL? I find it interesting that two seperate companies could use that name, and both make projection equipment, and have no connection at all. Or are there subtle differences in the name perhaps? Just curious.

Funny that you mention the stand. Today we were noting that the rolling stand is probably more valuable (or useful at least) than the projector.

Today we sealed up the floor over that old digital. It felt like sealing a tomb. There is still an access hole, although much too small to remove the projector...

unless it comes out in pieces :)

-Mark
There is absolutely NO connection between the 2 companies. I was sad when Ampro (the real Ampro) went out of business, but I was ever sadder when Bell & Howell disappeared. First production was moved to Japan, which was the first step to the end.

It's really too bad you didn't remove the projector. I happen to like that projector. It's STILL a 3 panel unit and did have a lot of features. It looked a little beat in the picture, was that just dirt? It's a terrific projector to use in a staging business (compared to the nightmare of setting up a CRT every time).

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
I would actually like to get my hands on a VistaGraphics 7000.

Seriously.

I know what it should cost to ship it. I'd cover those costs.

But it would need to be complete. Including remote, lens(es), lamp assembly, and

be ready to run.

Yes, I'm serious.

CJ

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjohnson
I would actually like to get my hands on a VistaGraphics 7000.

Seriously.

I know what it should cost to ship it. I'd cover those costs.

But it would need to be complete. Including remote, lens(es), lamp assembly, and

be ready to run.

Yes, I'm serious.

CJ

It's really a shame to lose that projector into the floor. :(

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awww... you guys are breaking my heart.

I actually wish they had given me more notice. I would have thoroughly considered removing it. However, I think that I missed my window of opportunity. (It was like "Hey, do you want that thing? If so you'd better take it out NOW.") I wouldn't really mind disassembling the floor (it's only unistrut) and hoisting that thing out. But this job is now on a very tight schedule. The client has a strict deadline. I think we're putting the screen in on Monday, and that will really seal off the opening.

It is kind of a bummer because I do believe it works. It has both a wired and wireless remote, a spare lamp, and a special looking Minolta zoom lens. It's in fine shape, just dirty.

Too bad :(

-Mark

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.