AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: I know Roadrunner has hosed something in my area. I notice intermittent hangs, or latency when attempting to play UT2003 online. It's been occuring for about a month, but I have been too busy to play until recently. It doesn't really interfere with other tasks like surfing, banking, email & such (excepting the occasional page refresh I must command) And frankly, sitting on the phone with the techsupoort robot running through the script isn't high on my list of things to do either.

I know they'll ping my modem, and 9 out of 10 of those pings will come back just fine, but the tenth, will time out because of this problem. And that includes Time-Warners DNS server (in network so to speak).

Once I convince 'em to send out a tech so that he can see it with his own eyes, what's the best way to present this?

I was thinking of an ftp client with a throughput graph or some such. I know thats what I used the last time they visited when I complained about non-existant upload speeds.

Is there a better tool? A better approach?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Why not just use "ping" yourself? Check your TCP/IP configuration and ping either your gateway or DNS server (so long as it's in the Time Warner network). You may need to look at the command line options, since I think Windows' ping stops after 4 or 5 packets.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
You may want to also try the tools at http://dslreports.com ... They can test your connection and see what's up. I doubt a tech onsite can do anything except give you a new modem, and I don't believe they fail like this... works or it doesn't, AFAIK.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
RoadRunner sucks. I just got banned from the Austin RR support site for saying as much. In the 6 weeks I've had RR it has worked about half the time. Their clueless moronic techs come out and do nothing. I (and many other people nearby me) get massive packet loss and RR seems to have no interest in fixing it. The only satisfaction I get is making them spend money and send out techs every week to "fix" it. I love being told by tech support that I'm probably getting packet loss either because I'm using a non-RR router or I'm running a software firewall. Morons.

I had DSL with SBC prior to this and had one outage that lasted about 3 hours in over a year of service. I'll be switching back to DSL as soon as I can.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Maybe get Camtasia and record the screen when it screws up.

flaws:

might get you proof, doesn't mean they are going to look at it or do anything about it if they see it

camtasia probably wont keep up with the game you are playing

just two cents

cow

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'd suggest the free demo at visualroute.com, it will give you an averaged over time traceroute and show packet loss. Good luck, I've struggled with this with charter!

·
Registered
790 Posts
My DSL speed has gone from great to pretty crappy.

I used to see over 1Mbps. Now I'm lucky to even hit 56K.

After calling tech support to request a line quality test, they sent me a traceroute program instead.

Traceroute to their servers from my house:

2 635 ms 959 ms 752 ms

3 627 ms 303 ms 173 ms

4 1553 ms 186 ms 86 ms

5 58 ms 42 ms 127 ms

6 351 ms 408 ms 344 ms

7 311 ms 707 ms 1376 ms

8 362 ms 535 ms 2345 ms

9 322 ms 482 ms 239 ms

DSLReports analyzed my ping times and wondered if I was even in North America. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.