AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, 5 months after my move, I finally got around to mounting my plasma over the fireplace. I used Cat5e wire to run for the component cable from the HT system to the plasma. I terminated both ends at the wall jacks using RCA->110 punch down snap-in plugs. This is how I did it in my last house (although I'm sure I just used Cat5 then), and the picture from the component cables was excellent.

However, the picture in my new set-up is ghosted somewhat. There is less ghosting with a 1080i source than a 720p source, but it's still noticeable. I was very careful to retain as much of the wire twistings as possible, but I am unhappy with the resulting picture.

Any suggestions as to how to fix this? I used Cat5e because fishing pre-fabbed component cables with the bulky RCA plugs would have been impossible in this room. Also note: The picture is excellent if I connect the TV directly to the HT system, so I know it's the in-wall wiring. Also note: I ran the Romex for the new outlet on the opposite side of the fireplace to prevent interference from that.

Thanks,

A

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Could be a lot of things.

Start with a line tester for the terminations and check the adapters.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
how far is the ghost from the actual image? if it is close to the actual image, this may be caused by ringing in the signal caused by impedance mismatch between the cable and the termination. RCA cables are supposed to be 75 ohm. When using cat5 to run other types of signals, I think you are supposed to use a balun device to match the impedances to prevent ringing.

example: http://www.svideo.com/1080i.html

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by collin /forum/post/12971375

how far is the ghost from the actual image?

For example, if I pull up the Info OSD from the DirecTV DVR, I will see 4 or 5 "ghosts" of the right-edge curve of a capital "D". They are immediately adjacent to the curve, and are themselves immediately adjacent to each other.

Does this sound like a problem that can be fixed with the devices you suggested?

Thanks,

A

·
Registered
265 Posts
I agree that the problem is likely an impedance mismatch, and/or possibly a signal reflection off that RCA-110 termination block (I'm no expert, but I would think those would be intended for audio signals, which are a lot more forgiving than video).

An internet search for "component video balun" will turn up lots of candidates. Reterminate your CAT-5E on an RJ-45 and use a RJ-45 patchcord to connect to the balun of your choice.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Collin/Kenlex,

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm looking into the baluns from S-Video. I'll report back if I wind up giving them a try.

Thanks,

A

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, any opinions on active vs. passive baluns. I'm only going about 30 feet.

Thanks,

A

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
30 ft isn't that long, passive may be good enough. also, please note that i wasn't specifically recommending the baluns from svideo.com; i just linked that as an example. there are alot of different types and qualities of baluns out that so check into it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
also check out markertek.com. They have everything.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
antnjen

can you spare a moment to give an update on your ethernet component run?

I'm curious to what the problem and solution was.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I actually wound up doing nothing. I don't know if the issue improved, or if I just stopped standing 6 inches away from the screen to scrutinize the picture. But, I've been watching plenty of HD programming, including sports, and I can't say that I am disappointed in the picture. In fact, I am often amazed with the quality.

Now if I can just find a reasonably priced HT system that doesn't have freakishly large speakers to replace the one I blew up while I was putting it back together after the move, then I can be just as happy with the sound as I am with the picture.

- A

1 - 11 of 11 Posts