AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna come into the 21st century and wanna buy an Ipod. I want the 4th generation color one. It's cheaper to buy one in the US, I've checked pricing.

NOw, pricing seems pretty much to be fixed. Even BB here in Canada says they make no money on the units, but they get profit on the accessories. (Boy, do they ever!).

Anyways, I can buy an Ipod about $75.00 less or so on eBay new in the box, not refurb over rerail pricing. Once place is in San Fran, and has 100% f/b with selling Ipods and stuff, so it's not a scam.

How can these 'closeout' sellers on eBay undercut the retailer? A lot of the auctions are $99 no reserve and stuff like that. What am I missing? No warranty?

Before I plunk down my money, let me know what to look out for.

Curt

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I'm figuring the salesperson was full of crap (no way!). If they weren't making any money on them, then they wouldn't waste the shelf space or other resources selling them... they could just sell the accessories and not the pod as many other retailers do. I'm sure the margin is small, but that's not so different from other non-accessory (think "Monster Cable") CE products.

As for ebay, just because the auction is $99 no reserve, doesn't mean the auction won't close high. Sellers can list items with no reserve because they know it's a sure thing it will be bid up. I did see one 60 gig photo that closed for $300, but with $30 shipping. So, that's about $50-60 off a mail-order house like B&H that's $389 shipped. So, I'm guessing the sellers lose on a few, but make up for it the rest of the time when two idiots bid against each other and pay too much.

SC

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I do buy the 'loss leader' thing on the Ipods. $29 for a cassette adapter, $35 for a sleeve? $35.oo for a cig lighter? Who are they kidding? THe markup there must be close to 100%!

I'm sure BB and CC's cost on the Ipods and such is less than most other resellers.

:)

·
Banned
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecrabb
I'm figuring the salesperson was full of crap (no way!). If they weren't making any money on them, then they wouldn't waste the shelf space or other resources selling them...
This is not so easy, it is not just about maximizing current profit. If you did not sell some new and popular product at all, it would cause you loss of customers which could bring you desired profit in the furture. So it makes sence to sell something even if you make very little from it.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Like projectors to the Czech Republic?

;)

·
Banned
522 Posts
Exactly. You sacrifize current profit to obtain much higher in future. If you would send me some not so good PJ, for example 1272, you could make me happy, but, because I am kind of picky, you would just enforce wanting better pj. It is like giving hungry child a candy and then show the whole pack of candies. The hungry child will drool after first candy much more than with no candy at all... :)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
BB losing money on Ipods?? :confused:

Well im sure thats the way it looks on their balance sheet.

W/ accounting laws being what they are they are probably losing money on everything.

I would be fairly confident buying from a 99% reseller on the bay. The only question is how big of a drive do you want and what kind of warranty you can get. I have known a couple of people who had to exchange their pod within the first 30 days.

But overall the IPOD is a great piece of tech! :)

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Curt, buying an iPod is like buying a digital projector. Are you going to be the next bi-boy?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
You work from home, BUT... If you are into long drives and Audiobooks (my commute is 27 miles door to door into Boston every day, which equates to 1.5 hours on an average day!) then the Creative products are both cheaper and can play Audible.com files. The Muvo and it's bretheren are very iPod-like without the marketing cost.

My VW has an OEM Phatbox trunk mounted player, and I've got about 250 CDs (NONE PIRATED, thank you very much) on a 20 GB drive @ 112Kbps VBR. I can't recommend the Phatbox to other commuters currently, a firmware bug has me power cycling the thing just about daily.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.