Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Let me give some background:

I live in South Carolina which is not known for being cool in August. I work a lot in Mexico where it's always about 105°-115°F (40-45°C) this time of year. Relative Humidity in SC is 75-85%.

Now this weekend, we traveled to Baltimore for the Magic the Gathering Nationals at the Convention Center. Friday was HOT--92°F/100%R.H. = heat index of 103. Saturday was even hotter 95°F /100% R.H. =heat index of 105! I was hurting just to walk from one pub to another.

Maybe its was my damn imagination telling me it was HOT, but I saw at least 7 people taken out by the heat at the Orioles stadium and a couple just on the sidewalk. Hell, I would not have sat through an afternoon game if it was free and there was a unending stream of free beer! My wife and I sat in a sports bar around ther corner from the stadium complaining about the air conditioning not being cool enough. Were any of you guys actually at the games this weekend? IF so, my hat is off to you...and you need professional help :)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
How interesting. :rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A. Hill

I live in South Carolina which is not known for being cool in August. I work a lot in Mexico where it's always about 105°-115°F (40-45°C) this time of year. Relative Humidity in SC is 75-85%.

Now this weekend, we traveled to Baltimore for the Magic the Gathering Nationals at the Convention Center. Friday was HOT--92°F/100%R.H. = heat index of 103. Saturday was even hotter 95°F /100% R.H. =heat index of 105! I was hurting just to walk from one pub to another.

Maybe its was my damn imagination telling me it was HOT, but I saw at least 7 people taken out by the heat at the Orioles stadium and a couple just on the sidewalk. Hell, I would not have sat through an afternoon game if it was free and there was a unending stream of free beer! My wife and I sat in a sports bar around ther corner from the stadium complaining about the air conditioning not being cool enough. Were any of you guys actually at the games this weekend? IF so, my hat is off to you...and you need professional help :)

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I live in TN - same 95+ temps. And I work all damn day in it landscaping. Yes it is hot - but NOT THAT BAD! Especially if you are just sitting there sipping cold beer enjoying the game!

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Quote:

Well, I live in Annapolis MD, just south of Baltimore by 20 miles. I do not recall it being this humid and hot anytime within the past year or so.... This area always has killer swamp jungle heat and humidity in August :(

It broke today, though, and the temp dropped by five degrees and humidity went down about 10% :p

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Well it's been unusually cold here - there was a 40% chance of snow the other day - it didn't though, it NEVER snows here - but it was FREEZING - like 2 deg C overnight...BRRR..

(Waiting for the Canucks and Norwegians to correct my definition of freezing ;) )

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
In urban areas, it feels hotter because of the buildings and sidewalks. Large concrete structures absorbing heat, and re radiating it all day and night.

Here in philly its been unbearable. the heat and "humdidity"

Its just bad til football season starts.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I too was in the Baltimore & Annapolis area this weekend visiting family. I live in near Atlanata now. I grew up South of Annapolis and never remember the temp and especially the humidity being this bad. It was nasty. I definitely didn't think I would get cooler weather after moving south. I wonder what the box office receipts were for this weekend in this area. :D

Dan

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
yep its hot here also, we haven,t had a drop of rain in a couple of months, with temps inbetween 75 to 105 fahrenheit , the scenery is all turning brown as you can see behind me with the fire danger going from high to extreme........

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Quote:
Were any of you guys actually at the games this weekend? IF so, my hat is off to you...and you need professional help :)
I wasn't at the O's game, but played in a softball tournament all day Saturday. Started at 9:00am and we played 6 games back to back over the next 7 hours. We had one umpire go down, but the players managed themselves pretty well. And yes, I do need professional help.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Was in Mississippi last week and it was really hot there. Got back to Atlanta and it was like the air conditioning was on.

Terry

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W
Well it's been unusually cold here - there was a 40% chance of snow the other day - it didn't though, it NEVER snows here - but it was FREEZING - like 2 deg C overnight...BRRR..

(Waiting for the Canucks and Norwegians to correct my definition of freezing ;) )
It has been a bad summer so far up here in Canada too, unusually bad for this time of the year and lots of rain too. It is suppose to get to 3 degrees celcius tomorrow night.

Our winters can easily get to -45 degrees celcius, cold enough for you? ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.