Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeff,

Are you running the HD Tivo? If so, can you tell me how difficult it is to pull shows off of the box? I'm itching to get the HD DVR and it looks like I can get a decent deal on the box now that they have lowered the price. I'm contemplating on ditching the replay if I can pull the shows off of the tivo box.

It time for a beer soon... Tied House?

T

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I can fill you in on everything except the specifics to the HD part. I haven't ventured that deep yet, but all the tools I use work with the HD10-250. So up to converting to wm9 or divx is a piece of cake, just tons of disk space... gigabit ethernet support is even an option for fast downloads.

·
Registered
127 Posts
So the bottom line is that you would say its a good deal to move forward on this?

I'm in the same boat: love my 3 networked ReplayTVs, but spent a boat load on an HDTV and haven't really used it because I rely on DVR functionality.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I just picked up the HD10-250 for $299 - $100 MIR from DirecTV's retention. They threw in another DirecTivo for free, $20 off total choice premiere, and $11 off HD for 6 months.

I really want to record HD, so the replaytv's will be sold next week, I couldn't pass up this deal from DirecTV. Especially since I get all my locals in HD via a silver sensor AND can record them, which I wasn't ever able to do properly with my replaytv and subchannels.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
rugby so you pay $199? That's sweet, but for $299 it's even sweet!

I'm recording locals OTA too and it works well.

kreigerm, I've got basically the same setup...

For those that are curious I've got posts over in the RTVTools thread on issues converting tivo ty files to be imported into dvarchive. kreigerm, you may have a use for those networked replays if this problem can be figured out! I've been trying to crack this nut because I've got tons of blue's clues shows for my son I want to put into DVA and have him play on the replay.... So far replay doesn't have an issue with the 480x480 video frame size.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D
rugby so you pay $199? That's sweet, but for $299 it's even sweet!

I'm recording locals OTA too and it works well.
I couldn't pass this deal up. I've been jonesing to record HD and my ReplayTV's have been having software issues as of late with regards to rebooting while recording and having network problems.

Once everything is installed on Thursday, I'll DVArchive my recorded shows onto DVD and then live with HD recordings and dual tuner recordings on my wife's setup.

DM really dropped the ball with ReplayTV, sad to say.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
JUST FYI for those that care...

SJ Merc Fry's ad has a gigabit usb->ethernet adapter for $7.99 (today only). This adapter is supported by the backported (linux) driver on the tivo. I'm pretty sure the hd10-250 can run these drivers because people were talking about how helpful it is with HD recordings.

Outpost shows the item too, item 4415696 but it's $30...

·
Registered
123 Posts
I also picked up the 299 - 100 MIR HD Tivo deal through retention, installer going to be here Saturday!

I LOVE all three of my replays and plan on keeping them, but this deal to record HD was too good to pass on.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthpd195
I also picked up the 299 - 100 MIR HD Tivo deal through retention, installer going to be here Saturday!

I LOVE all three of my replays and plan on keeping them, but this deal to record HD was too good to pass on.

So what is the process/requirement for this retention thing? I'm ready to the pull the trigger and would like some guidance.

Thanks

T

·
Registered
123 Posts
Call the retention line 1-800-600-8977. All I did was ask if there were any current offers for the HD TiVo, the rep pulled up my account & said yes, I can offer it to you for 299.

I then verified that the 100 MIR would still be in effect and he said yes.

It mostly depends on how long you've been a customer, average monthly bill, etc... to be eligable for the discount.

I also asked about programming credits & he offered me HBO & Showtime free for 6 months & $5 off the HD pack for 6 months.

Call them, be polite and just ask for what you want, depending on your status they can do almost anything.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Quote:
If so, can you tell me how difficult it is to pull shows off of the box?
I have been out of town for the last two weeks and just got back to this forum, but I don't believe anyone has answered this yet.

I now own two 5000 series RTVs and an HD Tivo (HR10-250). I use the Tivo only for recording HD programs, and the two RTVs for everything else. I added a 300 Gig disk to the Tivo giving me 550 Gig of space which will record about 72 hours of HD programming.

The HD recordings are about 7.5 to 8 Gig per hour so if there was a way to download them directly to my PC, I don't know what I would do with the files once they were there anyway.

In order to save a HD Tivo recording to DVD, I use the A/V connection from the HD Tivo to one of my RTVs unused inputs. I then set up a manual recording on the RTV and tell it record from the input that is connected to the HD Tivo. I set the output of the HD Tivo to 480i, and select the option "record to VCR".

If the DVD is going to be played on a 16:9 capable TV, I set the Tivo at 16:9 format. If it will be played on a 4:3 TV, I set the Tivo output to 4:3.

Once the recording completes, I can now download the show to my PC using DVArchive and then burn a DVD. The quality of the DVD is great, and the 16:9 format is maintained.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sweet deal! I just upgraded and they threw in an extra receiver and all the necessary installation for the second line to that room and the installation to the other room.

For an additional $49 they can do an off-air antenna, but she recommended I not do that since I live in the NY area and they plan to have those channels by the end of 2005 - latest early 2006.

I suppose I'll leave the ReplayTV in the original room to stream off the other TVs.

Oh how sad to see the beginning of the end of my ReplayTV days. I was an early adopter and would have gladly purchased HD Replays.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
It looks like we're going to be moving soon, so I wonder how I can tie all the different programs together... I'd love to get some new stuff out of a move and keeping my account. It's funny the reps always are in shock when they look at the account and say, wow! you've been a customer for almost 10 years. Yeah... so bow down and kiss my feet!

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I am going to call today and try to get the $299-100 rebate deal. I have been a DirecTV customer for about 8 years and paid $900 for my first HD TiVo about a year ago. The worst they can do is say no and then I will see what to try next.

Chris

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
The deal was just as described and it took only a few minutes of my time. It is scheduled for delivery Thursday, August 25, pretty quick. All I had to do was ask if it was available and if I qualified and the response was yes. It is hard to imagine a PVR with 250GB hard drive for $199 after rebate but I will gladly take it. I didn't ask what the qualifications were. It did commit me to another 2 years of DirecTV service.

Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.