AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one that is not terribly excited about the new direction of Stargate: SG-1? This new season of changes, is making me yawn. I would rather have let the show run its course and leave the airwaves on a high instead of having the show being run into the ground and or to a slow death. I mean the success of the show was the stars, the chemistry, and the plots. All these seem to me leaving me pretty cold as of late. :(

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I agree that this season seems pretty lame so far. To tell you the truth, the last couple of seasons weren't that great either. The show has been steadily sliding downhill ever since it switched from Showtime to The Sci-Fi Channel. The problem is that the writers got too caught up in grand sweeping story arcs such as the battle with Apophis and, more recently, the Ori. I liked it more in the old days when a majority of the episodes were self contained adventures that had little or nothing to do with the greater picture.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose
I agree that this season seems pretty lame so far. To tell you the truth, the last couple of seasons weren't that great either. The show has been steadily sliding downhill ever since it switched from Showtime to The Sci-Fi Channel. The problem is that the writers got too caught up in grand sweeping story arcs such as the battle with Apophis and, more recently, the Ori. I liked it more in the old days when a majority of the episodes were self contained adventures that had little or nothing to do with the greater picture.
On the other hand, that's exactly what I _hate_ about the self-contained episodes. It inevitibly degenerates into "defeat this weeks cookie cutter-villian" or "monster of the week" type of writing.

What is usually missing from SciFi are the "story arcs", which Babylon 5 did so well. Something that connects everything together, something to build on. If you only have 15 minutes to set up a story, 15 minutes to run around, and 15 minutes to resolve it, there's just not much room for originality. But building a story over time, especially weaving together multiple stories, is where good (if not great) TV comes from.

Too many people appear to have been raised on Spongebob or PowerPuff, where if it can't be solved in 22 minutes, it doesn't happen. Look at it this way - are your favorite books 100 pages long, or 500?

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I have no problem with long-term story arcs. In fact, Babylon 5 is one of my favorite shows. The problem is that SG-1's more recent story arcs just aren't very intersting.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I guess I'm being patient. The Ori are interesting (to me) because religion is one of the most difficult things to argue against. The only things bugging me right now are the staff changes. Ok, the O'Neill character is gone, retired, resting, but why? Why does Teal'C keep coming back, not that I don't like him, but why? Is Valla going to leave exactly when Carter comes back so we still have one female? How obvious is that? Science fiction is usually better at (pseudo) explaining things, but I guess those things aren't science. :)

Yeah, patience...

·
Registered
248 Posts
I've enjoyed the longer story arcs. I think this is one of the reasons SG-1 continues to be a very favorite of mine. The new characters probably are easier to take if you watched the actors in Farscape. I loved them in Farscape, so probably am giving them the benefit of any doubt here in SG-1.

Not sure I like the religious theme, but they had to make the next bad guys (Ori) bigger, badder and harder to defeat than the last bad guys....

·
Registered
827 Posts
I guess that it must just be me but I find this years SG-1 one of the most fun to watch in years!

Maybe I love a good old time "Space Opera" where the story is an on going story line.

Maybe it is because its not "Save The Earth" story line each week.

Maybe it is because I find the change for the better, the actors seem well at ease with each other and seem to be having fun doing the show.

I think that over all my wife and I have gone 'Ooh Wow' and laughed and cried more this year than in years past.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I really enjoyed B5 and don't mind a long story arc, but do like self contained shows every now and then.

For me, I'm just not buying having two Farscape stars (Claudia Black & Ben Browder) in the show together. Don't get me wrong, I like them both as actors, but it just doesn't work for me here.

Seems strange to see a big time actor like Beau Bridges. Although he does seem a good fit for the position since he packed on so many pounds.

I also miss Doc Fraiser (Teryl Rotherly) and do not care for the new Doc Lam, who now appears to be the General's daughter.

BRING BACK JONAS QUINN! :)

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEC
Maybe I love a good old time "Space Opera" where the story is an on going story line.
I assume you are a big fan of the new BSG then. IMHO, it's one of the freshest and most entertaining sci-fi shows to come along in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkwil61
For me, I'm just not buying having two Farscape stars (Claudia Black & Ben Browder) in the show together. Don't get me wrong, I like them both as actors, but it just doesn't work for me here.
I agree. There is something weird about seeing them share the screen as different characters. As viewers, we invested a tremendous amount of emotional energy in John Chrichton and Aeryn Sun's complex relationship. It's impossible to put all of that out of your mind when you see them together on SG-1.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkwil61
I also miss Doc Fraiser (Teryl Rotherly) and do not care for the new Doc Lam ...
I was bummed when Teryl Rothery left the show. She was a part of the family. Lexa Doig just doesn't cut it. She may be hot, but her acting skills are laughable. :)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
At least they didn't add a kid to the cast. That's what all other shows do when the well starts to run dry.

·
Registered
80 Posts
got to say i do not like sg1 as much as i did before...matter of fact i did not like stargate atlatis ether , but lately i have been watching it more than sg1 for some reason ?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I'm reserving judgement.

The Ori story looks like it could be neat but things are off to a slow start.

I'm enjoying SG:A more. They have a great cast and it seems the writers are focused on this show more than SG-1.

But I gotta say: considering what's being offered on TV now days the Friday lineup on SciFi is nice.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Yeah, it worked so well on CHiP's and Dukes of Hazaard to replace key characters with cookie cutter copies and keep the one who couldn't find a job elsewhere.

They should've shut it down.

I lost Sci-Fi this week and am upset about BSG and Atlantis but didn't see a real loss in SG-1.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweempose
I assume you are a big fan of the new BSG then. IMHO, it's one of the freshest and most entertaining sci-fi shows to come along in years.....

:D

I have to YES.. from day one of the original! I went out and purchased my first "VIDEO TAPE RECORDER" and we are talking one hour '3/4"' tape $4000... due to the fact that the job I was working when the original 'Battlestar Galactic' was broadcast..

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Who cares, as long as "bad girl" Claudia is in it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm enjoying the Ori story arc. It fits in well with the vaccum created by the snakes falling.

Being a Farscape fan, I also find it odd to see Browder and Black on screen in different roles, but I'm thinking in time I'll get used to their new characters and it won't seem so strange.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I like it all. SG1. Atlantis... BG is the best show on TV now.... but, I really want to know more of what/why/how the character transitions took place...

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I like the new characters in SG-1. I've enjoyed Valla and Daniel's little plot twists. It may be totally transparent, but it is still good.

I feel like I lost an episode because I never learned why O'neil left. I know why RDA left, but is that enough? Also where is Carter? AT is out having a baby, but why no discussion of Carter? What is up with Teal'c? Drop him from the show, he has lost his personality.

Love Black, she is wonderful. I'll be said to see her go.

SGA is ok so far this season. The new characters aren't bad, but I don't wait for it to be on. Overall, I'd rate this season of both SG1 and SGA lower than last season.

Don't get me started on Dead Zone, that show is suffering.

I do like BSG!!!! That show is awesome, but I don't think I can handle Boomer being killed more than a few times. I really like the chacter and the actor is hot.

I can't stand Starbuck, but she is growing on me.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serra
What is up with Teal'c? Drop him from the show, he has lost his personality.
I started losing interest in his character right about the same time they decided to give him hair. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.