AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
17,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a funny anecdote. The line between a forum participant and an internet author is a thin line. Courts are attributing status of journalists to bloggers as long as there is some kind of compensation involved. Today for the first time in all these years on the forum I received some very nutritive "consideration" from some mysterious generous benefactor that apparently read something that inspired him for his home theater in my Helene thread.

I got a call from SMX Ruben explaining that some client from Germany had overpaid him in a screen transaction (some 400 odd bucks) and that when he went to credit the guy, the fellow forum member said just take this guy CINERAMAX out to a nice dinner and get him a good bottle of wine...

I laughed my a$$ off, and then picked a restaurant where we could really oblige the mysterious benefactor's generous holiday spirit : NOBU

To share the celebration we decided to take some pics...

Thank you very much myterious benefactor, may the new year pay your generosity back manyfold. And Ma, if you can see me from heaven, I am a blogger now...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Well, Peter, I have been equally inspired by your posts and sent you a Christmas card. I hope it got lost in the mail now, because I just don't see how my $25 gift card to McDonald's is going to hold up to a $430 dinner at NOBU!

·
Banned
17,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol Chris,

You know I could get used to this... maybe I should setup a paypal meal account with my signature for 2009.

Here is the letter Ruben got from our mysterious benefactor (thanks Norman).

"Hello Ruben,

thank you very much for your kind words!

I have a different idea for the saved freight amount (about $ 325,-- if I remember it correct):

1) You invite Peter (Cineramax) to a diner and drink a good glass of wine on that crazy guy there in Bavaria

2) You pass the amount over to Peter as a little fee – so he can drink as much bottles as he wants

Don’t know what you think about this, but without Peter I would not have become an SMX client.

His reports on the Helene project were so detailed, that I got interested.

At least I trusted him and you blind – and I was always sure to do it right.

I would think, this is only fair, if you also feel this is ok and a nice idea, simply – do it!

Best regards, Norman"

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Haha...that bill reminds of one time when me and my good buddy went to Hatsuhana in N.Y.C and dropped $400.00 on sushi. I remember we had a raw white lobster that they cut in front of us and the tail was still moving when they put it on our dish.

We went back the next day expecting the "royal treatment" and the barely even remembered us...only in New York!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
SALUTE TP W.MAYER AND PETER!

Hi Peter, no mysterioso there, I am here and alive

I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed the evening. But at this point, I would like to take the chance and tell you and some AVS members the complete story - I hope it is somehow amuseing:

Being a HiFi fan for more than 30 years, I always thought, I know a lot of technique. And when we redesigned our basement room to integrate a projector my post production friends warned me you can't leave the walls white, you have to mention this and that - but I didn't listen to them. Then one day I read an AV magazine, where Wolfgang Mayer's setup was mentioned. There was a picture of his pr and I read the name Christie. I thought Who in the hell is Christie?. A few minutes later I knew - that I had known nothing

I will never forget that Saturday. What a shame. You know, it's not nice to look into the mirror and to see, that stupidity and arrogance have come together. By googlin' W.Mayer's name I came to cine4home and to AVS. Since more than 12 months I am studying now at AVS University (as I call it) and I had the chance to learn a lot. I read all the old threads, how Art Sonneborn found his projector, coldmachines Sim2 lectures, and at least the Barco adventures.

I think I am on a good way now, my room will get completed in about 6 weeks. I learned, that at a certain point you have to trust some experienced guys, who simply have the knowledge. Thats why I followed the SMX route of Peter. And now the Christie route of Wolfgang Mayer. Unfortunately a few weeks before Christmas I got a surprising news from my doctors - sooner or later I will come into serious problems with my eyes and a transplantation has to be done. This is a point, where you really begin to consider to stop everything. But at least I decided to move on, I am staying optimistic.

Time to say a BIG THANK YOU to Wolfgang Mayer, to you Peter, Alan Gouger, coldmachine, Mark Haflich and all those nice and busy AVS members. A special thanks and sorry to Art Sonneborn, I wrote you a very stupid email - I hope it got lost in cyberspace, but if you received it, here is an official regret, I hope you accept it.

And of course thanks to Ruben from SMX, he has done a sensational job, the screen is unbelievable , everything is working perfect, and all this only by email and overseas. This is kind of a customer care, I could not imagine, that this is existing in this universe. THANK YOU RUBEN!

Sorry for the long post, all the best for you all in 2009! Take care and: Keep on rockin!

Norman

PS: peter, i would really like to see your SK's in action. I am convinced: unbeatable!

·
Registered
27,722 Posts
How is it that a $432 bill only yields a $44 liquor bill?

As Cineramax knows, our AVS group was about 70% booze and 30% food...

Wait'll CEDIA again next year.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks rydenfan, I need all good wishes I can get!

Thank you also Art, very nice. Yes, Osmosis is correct, and sometimes its like a drug, the search for something better seems neverending... BTW, your website is very informative and inspireing, very good!

Oohhhps, I did'nt look at the invoice, thebland is correct, 44$ liquor - for sure no amarone or barolo involved

Norman

·
Banned
17,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you very much for a wonderful validation to this long roller coaster ride that has been my illogical loyalty to this vocation over the years. Just when I was starting to wonder what my life would have been now had i stayed in the accounting field some 25 years ago, your generous transcontinental gesture gives me renewed purpose to continue to try new things. Many positive vibrations back to you, brechen Sie ein bein.

To those concerned about the drinking arrangements at Norman's sushi extravaganza rest assured the legal limit maximum amount of cold sake was consumed by me, the pepsicola went to Ruben.

By no means the superkontrast mk 2.8* has achieved it's peak potential, a 4kw lamp rig is needed for that along with the MK II secret mod which we cannot implement at Prometheus cause we are down to 13.8 ft lamberts.

Suffice is to say that we have found the maximum contrast potential for a 4 meter wide Barco dp-1200; 5k-1, what is even more exciting is the combination of the modded projector with the TORUS, which adds a very special touch to the image but which's impact can be an acquired taste, even Ruben said some nice things about it, even though he beat me up on the immediate black level of the shadowbox screen periphery, which due to it being covered by GOM is not exactly the darkest black possible, I will take his suggestion under advice. Although nowhere it is written that a screen periphery has to be totally black, as long as it is a neutral charcoal tone, and due to the fact that it is an element to recess the screen horizontally into the the front stage, let's just say that in the future the blackness of the screen periphery is up to experimentation.

* this is the maximum tweak level possible in the 2kw lamp based Prometheus Torus system. Calibration with this projector is a hog in brightness no less than 20% drop, and the end result is more beige "paper white" looking, when the target file of rec 709 is specified, I swear there is no more accurate projector on the planet. Truly a rec 709 mastering reference, HOWEVER.....

What made the now defunct fujitsu aviamo such great plasmas is that they performed impeccably well under rec 709 but they went beyond that utilizing psycho visual fuzzy logic , but a well engineered one to take a calibrated reference and adjust it into more photo realistic ways.

Well, SMPTE conducts some of this type of research themselves and the person most prominently at the vanguard of s-shape gamma curve research at the SMPTE DC28 digital cinema committees as well as the Film Technology committee and Projection Technology committee... we have an arrangement with to try their latest algorithms on our Superkontrasts. All I have to say after yesterdays calibration is that for a 2kw machine we have possibly achieved the highest possible level of depth perception enhancements to rec 709.

Norman there are occasional cheap flights from Frankfurt to Miami, just let me know and I will be happy to show you.

Thanks again and happy and healthy new year.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Many positive vibrations back to you...

THANK YOU PETER!

Norman there are occasional cheap flights from Frankfurt to Miami, just let me know and I will be happy to show you.

Peter, now that is an offer! Thanks! If the health situation allows it, I will do exactly that!

BTW I am not very experienced with projectors. But your screenshots have a something, I didn't see somewhere else. So I always looked to see a pr that offers that character. I saw Sony's, JVC's, Planars, projectiondesigns, Sim2s - and then suddenly I found one: the same tremendous depth, sharp no end but no digital look, bright but only 14 fl, contrast only 2.500:1. it was a Barco DPD 90P, I saw it in the ARRI Grading Suite.

So I can only imagine, what happens, if these got high-end tuned...

best regards, Norman

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.