AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying I'm a cheapskate. One buddy of mine told me to put a picture of my homebrew subwoofer (that I have $8 in) as my avatar so people know where I'm coming from.

Having said that I've got an $85.00 Best Buy gift card. Consequently I have been waiting for BB to put a great deal on hard drive to upgrade my Replay with.

Currently they have the Maxtor 160gb for $99 after rebates. I've been leaning toward the Maxtor because of Amset. Seems like WD's are noisy and Samsungs are hot.

In all of your bargain hunting experience is this about as good as it gets over at BestBuy?

I know I've seen CC run better deals w/rebate (though I'm not a big fan of rebates) and I've seen BB run better deals with WD.

·
Registered
275 Posts
$99 for a 160 GB drive is a good deal, but I would swear that I have seen 160 GB Maxtor drives going for a little lower, say around the $80 level.

I know you don't like Western Digital drives, BUT Compusa is going to have a 160 GB drive for $59 AR starting tomorrow. If you're going to use the Replay in a somewhat noisy room (den, family room, etc. NOT the bedroom), I don't think that you would find the WD all that noisy.

I have upgraded over 10 different Replays with WD drives and I have never found noise from a WD drive to be a problem. However, I did NOT use any of the upgraded Replays in a bedroom.

If it was me, I would buy the WD at compusa and tell my significant other that I will use the BB gift card for part of her birthday gift !

Hope this has helped.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bobcrane
Let me start off by saying I'm a cheapskate. One buddy of mine told me to put a picture of my homebrew subwoofer (that I have $8 in) as my avatar so people know where I'm coming from.

Is that why your avatar is in black and white? :D

Quote:
Having said that I've got an $85.00 Best Buy gift card. Consequently I have been waiting for BB to put a great deal on hard drive to upgrade my Replay with.

Currently they have the Maxtor 160gb for $99 after rebates. I've been leaning toward the Maxtor because of Amset. Seems like WD's are noisy and Samsungs are hot.

In all of your bargain hunting experience is this about as good as it gets over at BestBuy?

I know I've seen CC run better deals w/rebate (though I'm not a big fan of rebates) and I've seen BB run better deals with WD.
Two words for you here. Price match! Find a better deal someplace else and ask them to price match. Don't show them the gift card beforehand since they'll know you're going to buy from them anyway.:D

·
Registered
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigjohns
check your math... that deal works out to 79 (plus tax) after rebate.

John
Price: $160.98 (includes $19 instant rebate)

minus: $1.00 (instant rebate)

minus: $70.00 (Manufacturers mail-in rebate)

minus: $10.00 (OfficeMax mail-in rebate)

Total: $79.98 (plus tax on $160.98)

I stand corrected... I didn't see that it said the price posted ($160.98) was AFTER the $19 instant rebate. The confusion was due to the fact that they appear to split up the $20 instant rebate into $19 + $1, so I thought that this was an additional rebate. I'm guessing they do this to confuse you into thinking your getting a better deal than you are...

Still, it's not a bad price: $0.50 per GB (not including tax).

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Anything over $.50/GB is not a great deal. I picked up a 160GB at CC just after Christmas for $23 (Price Match to Sam's).

The problem right now is that Best Buy has started denying rebates if you also got a price match at that item. For that reason $80-$100 is about the best price you'll be able to get on a 160GB drive at BB.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've heard of people getting stuff at circuit city for regular price, to get a reciept for the rebate, then going back for their 110% guarantee pricematch, get their money back and then send their first reciept for the rebate. Kinda shady, but some people have gotten it to work

Personally, I hate rebates, and only buy things if I don't mind paying full price, just in case something goes wrong. like I got my Maxtor 250 from Fry's for $179 and that is a good enough price to me, and if I get the $30 rebate, its just icing on the cake, to make it $149

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I too despise rebates, but it is the way it is going in the area of hard drive savings. Best Buy has a laundry list of pricematch rules, including no rebate matching and NEVER match Sam's club.

I'd also heard they would adjust your rebate if you pricematched.

My other idea was take the gift card and sell it for less than the value, then purchase a drive elsewhere. I'd still be ahead.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I bought a 180GB WD HD at CC this week. It is on sale until Sat. for 179.99 plus $100 in rebates (one for 70 and one for 30). I did a PM from Office Max so they discounted the price $22 (110%) to $158 plus tax.

So total after rebates $58 plus tax.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WannabeSQ
I've heard of people getting stuff at circuit city for regular price, to get a reciept for the rebate, then going back for their 110% guarantee pricematch, get their money back and then send their first reciept for the rebate. Kinda shady, but some people have gotten it to work
BestBuy knows if a receipt is for a returned item. You try and send in a reciept (or copy of a reciept) to get money back on an item that you've returned, you're not only committing fraud, but you won't get your rebate from BestBuy. They know exactly what you're doing. It would make sense if CC kept track as well, but who knows.

·
Registered
983 Posts
@Bobcrane

cow and Randy are right...if ur a "cheapskate", then the Hot Deals forum on ************** should be ur homepage ;). best deals on anything and everything.

sturmie

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yea, I head over to FatWallet once in a while, mostly to check out the hard drive thread lately. I'm not a big fan because lately you have to weed through all the bottom feeders to get to a savings that isn't unethical.

That's the frustration with having 85 bucks at BestBuy. Everyone else seems to be running better deals lately. The upshot with best is it is 60 bucks worth of rebates as opposed to the $100 and up some of these other deals have.

I don't like rebates and almost never factor them into the purchase price. However it seems with hard drives lately you almost have no choice.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Yep, just be patient. I always am able to pick up the 160s at less than .50/gig, sometimes far less. If you MUST have it now, make sure you use the $15/$100 coupon at Staples to get it for about $85 plus tax after rebate.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally posted by madpoet
Yep, just be patient. I always am able to pick up the 160s at less than .50/gig, sometimes far less. If you MUST have it now, make sure you use the $15/$100 coupon at Staples to get it for about $85 plus tax after rebate.
Again, I'm married to Best Buy with the $85 card being there right now.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Ahh... my bad, sorry. Missed that part. Then sure, that's the best deal you're going to get at Best Buy. If my reward certificates get here this week I might pick one up myself.

-MP

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.