AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am interested in buying an MP3 player, but need to do some research. Does anyone know of a good forum on mp3 players (hopefully similar to this one?)

Thanks! And, if anyone has any recommendations, would love to hear it!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
For the Apple iPod try http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/

I'm sure there are others but, since I have the iPod thats the one I like.

Apple just added bigger drives to the iPod.

40G $499.

Get the biggest you can afford.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I'd second with the iPOD and in a car with only a CD player, add a iTrip FM Modulator from Griffin. This is the most elegant solution available in HDD based MP3 Players.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Having owned all kinds of portable music players (MiniDisc, memory-card MP3, and everything else) I can't say enough about my iPod. They may seem expensive, but you can get an older/refurb one for not substantially more than a card-based system. Apple has refurbs from $170, which is hard to beat. I've got a 20gb, and it is simply outstanding. Fast, long-lasting, so damn easy to use, and large enough to hold all of my music in something the size of a deck of cards. It cannot be beat.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have been using a SonicBlue :) Rio S35 for about 4 months. If this is for working out or whatever and u do not want the capacity this is a nice little player. There are lots of choices.

iPod offers many advantages but i wanted something smaller and solid state w no moving parts to worry about.

Then again, it was about $130 and I added a $50 256 MB SD card so not cheap and vastly less capacity and features.

DIfferent beast altogether.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Apple just added bigger drives to the iPod, IMO, because Rio's new Karma is shortly to be released in 20GB and 40GB sizes. :D Also, amongst many other features that make it more appealing to me than an iPod, it plays Ogg Vorbis; my new favorite encoding format.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Like this forum, you pretty much have to pick your brand/player before you can narow it down enough to find a good forum. Your first decision however is if you want a cheaper/lighter/smaller solid state flashed based player, or a slightly bigger less rugged hard drive model. There's also the new Rio Nitrus which defies classification right in the middle of the two.

I'd check out the full Rio line before making any decisions. The Karma is set to really give the iPod a run for it's money, and which is a better player hasn't been settled yet.

PS: DeadFire, you seem oddly familiar...

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
DeadFire,

the Karma hasn't been released yet, but if you can wait, it's worth considering.

I can't speak much about it, but I've been evaluating one and I've happily given my iPod to my wife :)

You might check here for some more discussion of the Karma:

http://empeg.comms.net/php/postlist....d=karmageneral

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks, jleavens, but I'm a New Poster to this forum, not a new reader. And I registered with the empeg bbs a while ago, when I got my empeg. :) I have been reading all that I could find on the Karma, there, and any other tidbits I could find on the web, including on this forum. Based on everything I've read about the iPod and the Karma (including your review), Karma would definitely be the portable for me.

However, since as I do most of my listening either in the car or at home, a portable is not at the top of my list right now. Eventually the empeg team will get around to releasing v3.0, and then I'll have my Ogg Vorbis.

But hearing about the Karma, designed by the same team that years ago, created the first and easily the best car-based mp3 player, has made me want one anyway. I'm so biased I only did a quick feature check on the iPod, and I'm not even considering it. So once a few other toys have been crossed off of my wanted list, I'll probably get a Karma 40.

matthew_k, we may have exchanged a few words in another thread on this forum, unless you think you know me from somewhere else. I have been using this handle for at least 5 years.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
oops, my mistake. I meant to direct my comments toward the original poster, egordon132. :)

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I would tend to trust jleavens comments on the Karma. The spec on it seems amazing.

That said, I have an iPod and I love it. In fact I believe I posted at one point saying that somebody would have to take a taser to me to get me to give it up.

It is not only elegant and easy to use, but really good looking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.