AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check the bidders list on this auction: http://snipurl.com/17pp0 . Ebay has hidden the bidders identity. Now 2nd chance bidder scammers have no way of contacting the losing bidders. Great move by ebay, but one has to wonder why it wasn't done years ago. It's not like new technology is allowing them to do something that wasn't possible before. They could have done that from day one if they wanted to.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim /forum/post/0

Will make it easier for people to bid on their own auctions (with second accounts) to drive up prices. Out of the frying pan. . .

The only way you can do that is to have an account that's registered under a different name. I have 2 accounts under my name and if the system would allow me to bid on my own stuff (not sure that it will) ebay would quickly catch it and suspend me.

But that all mute. Just because we can't see who's bidding doesn't mean ebay can't. This new policy will have no effect on shill bidding.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell /forum/post/0

ebay has a official way to sell to the next bidder under the winner, don't have the info but I have done it myself

I've done it many times, but rarely would anyone take me up on it because they were afraid it was a scam.

Quote:
i'd say people going on ebay to buy gear like butt plugs and whips enjoy this new feature

-Gary

Looks like there's soon going to be an increase in Gary's butt plug and whip stash.

·
Registered
7,631 Posts
The downside is not being able to view the feedback of the bidders, which helps in deciding whether a scam is legit or not. Now all you can see is "feedback of 0-10", "feedback of 10-100", etc. That kinda sucks.

·
Registered
524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie /forum/post/0

The downside is not being able to view the feedback of the bidders, which helps in deciding whether a scam is legit or not. Now all you can see is "feedback of 0-10", "feedback of 10-100", etc. That kinda sucks.

Not if you're the seller, all the old info shows up (names, feedback) as soon as you login, in your auctions only of course. Sucks for some buyers though.

Cheers,

Alex

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I actually received a valid "2nd Chance" offer last night on a Toshiba HD-D1 (the all black model) HD DVD player.

I was leary at first as well, but it is legit - you can look in your Messages Folder on eBay to verify.

And when I look at the listing, I only see Buyer1, Buyer2, GEBrown, Buyer3, etc. but the dollar amounts of their bids are there.

In some ways it is a good thing, as it will keep the scams down, but when you're bidding on CRT PJ equipment, it used to be handy to see if you were bidding against another forum member. I once saw that I was and contacted the member to see how serious he was about the part (it was a neck board). I wanted it for a spare, but if he needed it to get a PJ back up, I would have backed out. But he was nice enough to back out, as he didn't even have a Marquee mounted and running at the time.

My 2 cents

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
If they want you to wire them money, or contact some random e-mail address for more info (or before bidding) - it is a scam. If they want to pay you extra on a sale and have you refund them something, its a scam.

Otherwise, check the seller rating and feedback comments. See if they typically sell that kind of product. That kind of thing.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I absolutely HATE the "new" system, and I will boycott all auctions that it is instituted on.

Now you have NO way to determine if its a scam or not.

Just about a week ago I was shopping for a cheap upscaling over component, region free, PAL to NTSC converting dvd player. I had staked out a couple, and I could easily tell which one was being shilled. Now I have no idea.

Terrible idea if you ask me.

Also, how do you warn innocent bidders when they are bidding on scam auctions ?

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
it's one thing to hide the bidders list from people not in the auction. IT's another issue to hide the bidding process from people perticipating in the auction and actually risking their hard earned money. Oh well, like we needed any more reason to avoid that place.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Maybe the seller can choose to hide the bidders? I first saw it last month, bidding on a car. Or maybe its high dollar items/ Or maybe its just filtering down. Just won a small thing last week - didn't see this. But I have run into it on more expensive items. Agreed - pretty nice, that when large sums are involved, everything is hidden.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't see how anyone benefits from knowing who the other bidders are. It's just not necessary. Only the seller should be contacting bidders anyway, and he can still do so. I think it's a good move myself.

No one likes change. Once everyone is use to it no one will think twice about it.

·
Banned
8,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Smith /forum/post/0

I don't see how anyone benefits from knowing who the other bidders are. It's just not necessary. Only the seller should be contacting bidders anyway, and he can still do so. I think it's a good move myself.

No one likes change. Once everyone is use to it no one will think twice about it.

I don't like it either - and have a big issue with it. Before you could click on the other bidders feedback to see what they had purchased before - and by looking at the bids on that - you could tell 1) did they actually bid up to decent prices or just looking for things they could pick up for cents 2) How they bid - did they increase bids up or commonly put in a new price bid close to the end. etc etc etc.

Quite frankly, this has been true in any auction in the past if you are involved in the field - you know the players - and know they way they operate.

Now one is totally in the dark in trying to make decisions as you really cannot gauge who you are bidding against.

The new system suxors and doubt i will use them as much as i have in the past.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Having knowledge of the other bidders may keep you from wasting time on auctions that you feel you'll get outbid on, but it's not going to effect the price you have to pay for an auction. The other bidders are going to bid what they're going to bid, whether you know who they are or not.

The new system look weird to me. I don't really like it. But again it's because it's unfamiliar. It's not because I find fault with it.

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
But the fact is up until this past weekend, you could look at other auctions for the same merchandise and see the point where the others were outbid - so you had an idea of what was needed to knock them out etc. Again, this is not possible any longer.

I can tell you this is valuable info - because sometime very high bids must be put in to make sure you end up high bidder - and that is safer to do knowing at what level these people bail.

I can tell you that one time I had put int 220.00 but apparently did not hit the . key hard enough - this was before they went to a second confirmation screen.

Thank god no one threw in a stupid amount to try and walk away with it.

·
Banned
8,246 Posts
 http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070118/...e/ebay_fraud_1

By RACHEL KONRAD, AP Technology Writer

Thu Jan 18, 1:24 AM ET

SAN FRANCISCO - Executives at eBay Inc. are touting security as their top priority in 2007 after an internal survey showed that online scammers may be denting the company's reputation.

The San Jose-based online auction company began a program last year to safeguard members' identities by concealing their user names on expensive listings. That measure could make it harder for con artists to contact losing bidders and goad them into "second chance offers," where customers wire cash to the scammers' accounts.

Engineers also want to reduce counterfeit items and clamp down on scams between buyers and sellers from different countries, said William C. Cobb, president of eBay North America.

"It's no secret that online criminals who target sites like eBay and PayPal have grown in number and sophistication over time," Cobb said in comments posted Wednesday to an eBay forum. "Where we've historically put an emphasis on transparency and free choice, today the security threats are more complex, and we're more actively protecting our buyers from fraud."

Representatives are also sending nasty e-mails to sellers who charge egregious shipping and handling fees. EBay reduced the average shipping cost in the "cell phones" category by 25 percent since last summer, Cobb said.

The emphasis on security enhancements billed as the most important initiative in the company's 12-year history comes as senior eBay executives host the site's top 250 sellers at closed-door meetings this week in Burlingame. Entrepreneurs attending the second annual E-Commerce Forum sold 7 million items worth $1.5 billion in 2006.

So-called "power sellers" have expressed concern and have threatened to go to other sites over concerns that eBay has been slow to combat fraud.

EBay says less than one-hundredth of one percent of the listings on its Web site are fraudulent. But even by that conservative measure, 58,300 auctions may have been fraudulent in one three-month period. More than 583 million items were listed in the third quarter of 2006.

More concerning, fraud disproportionately strikes high-end categories such as automobiles, electronics and jewelry. There's no reliable way to estimate how much is lost to con artists on eBay, where $12.64 billion in merchandise exchanged hands in the third quarter.

Spokesman Hani Durzy said Wednesday that the company is targeting all scammers from petty thieves to organized crime syndicates.

"We're never going to completely stop the bad guys from using the Internet, but we do know that negative experiences are a major reason people leave eBay and they pass along word of mouth to other people," Durzy said. "In 2007, you'll see a sea change in our approach to trust and safety."

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
I like knowing who the other bidders are. If someone like Tim or Curt is bidding on something, I'll back off. It's just a hobby for me. It's a living for them. In fact I usually back off any bidding when I see a friends name pop up.

Chip

·
Registered
3,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefuel /forum/post/0

I like knowing who the other bidders are. If someone like Tim or Curt is bidding on something, I'll back off. It's just a hobby for me. It's a living for them. In fact I usually back off any bidding when I see a friends name pop up.

Chip

or, on the other hand, someone with less experience (moi
) could use the fact that they are bidding as a form of validation - if they think an item is worth x dollars, chances are it is worth x+1. Oh - so there is the real reason - this policy will help the rich get richer..

But Phil, I have used the old method to check and see if other bidders are serious - if I look at their bidding history, and this is the first electronic or musical item they have ever purchased, and everything else is Beanie Babies and Cabbage Patch Dolls, I get real suspicious of shill bidding, and usually bid accordingly. Far from foolproof, but on the Flea, every little bit helps.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.