AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I stated, hopefully this isn't too far off the topic for someone to respond to...

I have an elderly neighbor who has a large collection of old Country & Western vinyl (33, 45 & 78) that she's trying to organize in order to sell. I think she has quite a valuable collection, including major and minor C&W stars as well some other guys named "Elvis" and "Cash", she even has some autographed 45s in the mix.

Anyway, do any of you highly knowledgable folks have any inklings about the best way to go about getting her the real value for this collection? Where is the best place to try to sell this stuff? Ebay, record conventions (do they still have those?), retro vinyl shop?

What do you think? Many thanks to anyone taking the time to read this and reply.

·
Registered
9,975 Posts
............yeah, right.................

This is bogus............there's losta info on the interweb, why ask here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by janthenat  /t/1469494/ot-old-vinyl-collection-hopefully-this-isnt-too-off-topic-for-some-replies#post_23233170

including major and minor C&W stars as well some other guys named "Elvis" and "Cash", she even has some autographed 45s in the mix.

Johnny Elvis and Presley Cash? Never heard of 'em................

Get outta here........

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
It will probably be very difficult to get much of anything for it.

There may be a lot of old stuff there, but it's not likely that there is much there that is actually rare or valuable to a collector.

Only a lot of online research will tell you, or taking a comprehensive list with all of the details on each record to a knowledgeable dealer.

·
Registered
9,975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janthenat  /t/1469494/ot-old-vinyl-collection-hopefully-this-isnt-too-off-topic-for-some-replies#post_23233170

as well some other guys named "Elvis" and "Cash", she even has some autographed 45s in the mix.

Sorry that I read you wrong, this statement didn't seem to lend credibility. In the old days before the interweb I would use Goldmine as a guideline, is it still around?

Happy selling.

·
Registered
22,656 Posts
Here lies the rub....

78's are hard to sell. No one can play them. Best to check with museums and/or universities. (We had a ~ one hundred 78's that was donated to Rowan College for their RCA collection)

45's and LP's may be "collectible", but they are only of value to an avid collector looking for a specific record (usually "hard ti find") to complete a collection.

Condition of the record and covers is very important to add value.

You have some leg work in your future if you intend to get "best buck" prices. Be prepared to:

1) state condition of each record/cover

2) document each record's catalog number

3) use the internet to get an idea value for each record

40 haul everything to a reputable record appraiser in your area.

To note:

For "popular" artists that sold millions of records, they aren't valuable, unless you have an obscure/rare pressing.

You have a hard task ahead if you're looking for a golden egg.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned but one of the biggest resources for this would be http://www.discogs.com

Simply search for the LP title and sort by Vinyl.

That would be next behind amazon or ebay. I would stay away from conventions and local stores. They will simply rip you off.

First off, the best thing to do would be to list out all records (as mentioned) and do the research on how much they are worth each on their own. Like mentioned people want to see ratings for record vinyl condition, sleeve, any inserts, etc. (Mint, Very Good +, Good, bad, worn, etc) You will see examples of this on discogs.

After you list the LPs worth out. As mentioned this will be the most leg work. Now you can calculate that up and come up with what you would want for the lot.

You could also section it out and mention to the buyer that they have to take a minimum of 10 LPs. That would mean the LPs sell faster and not just the ones people are interested in.

Either that or section them out into multiple LP lot sales of 30 LPs or whatever.

If you do ebay make sure to set a minimum.. same with anything else.

Just floating around some ideas.

·
Registered
9,343 Posts
Ratman and philukk have give all the same advice I would have; basically, research, photograph everything (outside in good light), grade and list them. And don't expect much for them unless some turn out to be real collectors items. You may in the end sell a few for decent money and offer up the rest, the common stuff at a bulk lot for not much at all. I used to buy and sell a lot of vinyl, so I have some experience, but everyone today seems to think their crappy old version of some common album is worth a lot more than most of the market will willingly pay for it. Sorry, but that's the reality of it.

Not knowing the C&W scene all that well I have no idea if there is much of a collector market, or if the typical C&W fan has simply gone to portable digital players because they lack storage for LPs in their trailer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts