AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opta Systems won the auction. Googling on Opta Systems turns up nothing but press releases etc.. regarding the Chapter 11 filing. I check the SONIC|blue web site daily for any news.

Zilch, Nada, Zero, Nothing.

Anybody? What is to become of my D2730 pre-order?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Anyone hear more on the status of the D2730?

I noticed on their WWW site that they removed the expected released date (which had been sliding from March to April, then May).

Any other viable alternatives? I would really like a simple Progressive DVD player that supports network play of DVD VOB files and MiniDV raw video.

A device that could also scale to HD resolutions, and play HD transport streams captured with my MyHD card would be the ultimate.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm giving up on it. I purchased an Xbox & a solderless mod chip. Will stream video, mp3, ogg, and do slide shows etc... most of what the D2730 said it would do. Although it looks like an XBOX, it's available today, costs less, (at least not including labor & time spent on mIRC and usenet to find bioses etc...) and is constantly getting software updates.

Granted it doesn't have prog scan output, but until I have an HD compatible tv that's not such an issue. No dolby digital either, guess I'll get a plain jane DVD player for prog scan & dolby.

Oh yeah, the xbix, it plays Xbox games too.

I emailed SONIC|blue recently regarding the lack of an expected ship date. Predictably, all I got was the auto responder. Needless to say, if I ever see a D2730, I'll be VERY surprised.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Slack
Granted it doesn't have prog scan output, but until I have an HD compatible tv that's not such an issue. No dolby digital either, guess I'll get a plain jane DVD player for prog scan & dolby.

The XBox does Dolby Digital. You just need the A/V pack with the digital audio output. My son has one and I thought it did a pretty good job as a DVD player.

Chris

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
The X-Box was one of the other options I was considering. It can do progressive, DD5.1, and even HD resolutions (depending on the software used.. but, the hardware would not be fast enough to play back HD MPEG2 streams).

But, I was hoping for a very simple device like a DVD player. Preferably silent.

My current solution is an HTPC, with a MyHD card. It's pretty good, but could be better in terms of stability, support for all DVD VOB playback, and junking up my HT area with a Windows PC.

The D2730 could replace my existing DVD player, and half my HTPC functionality.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yea.. add in the AV pack and Xbox Media Player and you have a hell of a system that just keeps getting better. There is also a team working on a Replay like application for the Xbox using some sort of USB TV adapter. The project is called Dreamix. I think they have a page on SourceForge.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Gerhard
The XBox does Dolby Digital. You just need the A/V pack with the digital audio output. My son has one and I thought it did a pretty good job as a DVD player.

Chris
I learn so much s**t in this forum. Will definately get the AV pack.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by SWiTCH
Yea.. add in the AV pack and Xbox Media Player and you have a hell of a system that just keeps getting better. There is also a team working on a Replay like application for the Xbox using some sort of USB TV adapter. The project is called Dreamix. I think they have a page on SourceForge.
Could be a while before this sees the light of day. Still in it's infancy.
Dreamix on SourceForge

I wonder if Dreamix (or similar) coud use use Hauppauge's WinTV/PVR? Hardware mpg2 compression, then into pc / xbox via usb.

WinTV/PVR

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just thought people might like to know that the technology in the GoVideo D2730 doesn't appear to have been developed entirely by SonicBlue.

I found the following press release on the Zoran website:

http://www.zoran.com/whatsnew/01_10_03.asp

Zoran is a component supplier and they claim to have developed the technology in partnership with SonicBlue. The Zoran press release also mentions a software provider, Digital 5, Inc. I've include a link to them too in case anyone is interested. They appear to have developed the networked DVD client and server software. Take a look, it is interesting:

http://www.digital5.com/solutions_DVD.html

Sorry to hear the the GoVideo D2730 may not see the light of day, but just maybe it will live on under a different brand name in the future.

Tim

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Slack
Could be a while before this sees the light of day. Still in it's infancy.
Dreamix on SourceForge

I wonder if Dreamix (or similar) coud use use Hauppauge's WinTV/PVR? Hardware mpg2 compression, then into pc / xbox via usb.

WinTV/PVR
Its my understanding that there are no drivers and/or there only only basic drivers availible for hardware mpeg2 compression in linux.

At least that is what I gather from the mythtv & freevo projects.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Scyber
Its my understanding that there are no drivers and/or there only only basic drivers availible for hardware mpeg2 compression in linux.

At least that is what I gather from the mythtv & freevo projects.
Why would external, hardware compressed video need drivers? Seems to me all the OS needs to do is save a streaming mpg2 file from the USB port to the mass storage device. mythtv etc.. use the nupplevideo codec to compress video using the CPU, as far as I remember reading they do not use hardware compression. Hence the rather macho CPU required to watch & record at the same time.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, so detailed response from SONIC|blue

Quote:
Dear Customer

Following is the response to your query

DATE(MM/DD/YYYY HH:MI:SS) : 04/24/2003 03:39:24

----------------------------------------------------

Hi Slack,

Thank you for mailing us and sorry for the delayed response. We don't have any exact date for shipment of this model right now, but at any point of time we start shipping this model it will be updated on our website. For further assistance, do mail us back.

Thanks and regards,

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, that figures. the glacier starts to melt AFTER I modded an xbox to do everything the GoVideo unit will do (& more).

If my pre-order still stands, I hope they give me the option to cancel before it ships.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
How do you like the modded X-Box?

Can you play DVD VOB files over the network (NFS or SMB file sharing)?

Does it play DVD's progressively?

Can you still play games on it?

When you start it up, how long is the "boot up" process, to get to the point you can play videos?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.