AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here own, or have experience with Phillips HDTV's? Specifically, the 30PW850H. It's a 30" 16x9 CRT. I've read a comments on various sites, including the HDTV section here at AVS. There's a lot of mixed reviews and varying opinions on this set, and Phillips in general.

The price is right, and I can live with some of the negatives I've read about (no aspect control in 480p, no HDMI or DVI, slow tuning). Are there any fatal flaws or other problems that I should be aware of? How does SD material look, especially Replay material?

BTW, what would the dimensions be on a 30" 16x9 screen? It seems a simple question, but I can't find a simple answer. It would be replacing a 27" 4:3 TV, and I'd like to make a cardboard cutout of the screen size for reference.

·
Registered
744 Posts
You might also take a look at the comparable model from Samsung. I bought their 26" 16:9 CRT HDTV for my bedroom and have been pleased as punch with it. The Samsungs are also quite reasonable when it comes to price.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had this TV for a while now and I have been very happy with it. The price was definitely right compared to other 30" 16X9 TV's and so far it has lived up to my expectations.

The picture quality for analog cable is good (about the same as my 27" SDTV) and digital cable is very good. Cable HD picture quality is excellent and has improved with a new cable box (SA 8300HD).

The picture quality from the ReplayTV is very good -- I've tried all the outputs and the best picture quality is from the S-Video out on the Replay -- not the progressive scan outputs.

The only problem I've had is the "jailbars" that many people have reported with various Phillips TVs. These are light vertical bars that can be seen sometimes when the picture is very dark. I very rarely even notice them and the settings can be tweaked to minimize them.

Overall, I would highly recommend this TV -- it's a good buy for a 30" HDTV.

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJFlicker
The only problem I've had is the "jailbars" that many people have reported with various Phillips TVs. These are light vertical bars that can be seen sometimes when the picture is very dark.
I've had these with SD on a 4x3 Sony. Tracked it down to the S-video output. They're just not there with composite.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@MJFlicker

Thanks for the info. I've heard about the jailbars, and as long as they're only a problem on very dark scenes and can be tweaked it doesn't sound like a major problem. Do they seem to be better or worse using the different inputs like Bayside mentions?

I think I figured out a way to get the screen dimensions for a 30" 16x9. I came up with 25.81" x 14.55". Anyone care to comment?

I've looked at all the TV's in this size, and I can't find anything else close to this price ($358 delivered) so I think I'm in for one. I'm still considering the size though, as a 34" would be perfect for this room. But at least twice the price. :confused:

One more question MJ. How are the stretch modes? Which one do you use to watch 4:3 material?

·
Premium Member
291 Posts
We will be doing a three way shoot out on our podcast between the following tube HDTVs:

Philips 30" Widescreen Flat-Tube HDTV (30PW9100D)

Sony FD Trinitron WEGA 30" Widescreen HDTV Tube (KV-30HS420)

Toshiba 30" Widescreen HD-Ready Flat-Tube TV (30HF85)

The podcast will be uploaded Thursday by 3:00PM PDT.

Andy - we are not covering the model that you inquired about at the beginning of this thread but you may still find the podcast informative.

http://www.htguys.com

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
arad, I've just started listening to your podcasts last week. Good stuff! Thanks for the heads-up on the upcoming show.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.