AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
most everyone on the East Coast of the US is getting ready for Hurricane Isabel expected to make landfall on Thursday

we are particularly vulnerable to a direct hit here on the New Jersey Shore, and are preparing for the worst

the last storm here of note was an unnamed Northeaster in 1992 which caused heavy flooding damage to my home: since rebuilt higher in elevation on 90 pilings: keeping my fingers crossed and my flood insurance policy high and dry;)

Good Luck to all those in the path of this storm: we will soon see what Isabel has in store for us

·
Registered
55 Posts
After living through Andrew I do not wish anyone having to do anything like that in their life . Good luck and me God be with you.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm supposed to go to the outter banks this saturday...I don't think that's going to happen now. This will be my third vacation ruined by a Hurricane.

Hope every one takes the proper precautions for this monster... see you on the other side of this thing.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
It's still nasty, but nowhere near the monster it was yesterday. Can't imagine sustained winds of 160MPH coming ashore. It's more like ~105MPH now, which still isn't a walk in the park! Good luck!

[Wish the Weather Channel was in HD...]

·
Registered
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tonyjeto
This will be my third vacation ruined by a Hurricane.
Guess that you will start planning your vacations for other than late summer/early fall for the Atlantic coast. Maybe come here to Oklahoma in the spring! :D

Seriously, though, for all those in the path, be safe!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
good luck everyone on the east coast...

glad to live on the "left" coast, where all we have to worry about is earthquakes and volcanoes

Cheers and goodluck everyone...

Rich

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I love the signaling value sent by Congress and such leaving town:

"Good luck Carolina and Virginia, we are outta here."

(For the sarcasm challeneged, I didn't mean love in the sense of actual love.)

Mark

·
Registered
133 Posts
The Hotels are starting to fill up here in Charlotte. I think she's gonna be a low Cat 2 or high Cat 1 when she hits, which is a relief.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Personally, I'm a bit bummed. I've done most natural phenomenas in my life. Grew up in tornado alley (love tornados), have done a 5.6 earthquake (not huge, but enough to get the idea), blizzard, ice storms, but I've never done a hurricane. Now that I'm in the costal area, I've been waiting for a shot, but this one's going south of us. Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Moebius, get in the car and drive south. Come down to the Outer Banks and you'll get a nice taste of it. The local Sheriff's dept. will ask you to leave since it's mandatory evacuation, but if you did get to stay they will ask you to sign a piece of paper so they can notify the next of kin....

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I tried that several years ago when Hugo (I think it was) hit. I was in Greenville, SC training for 5 weeks when the news came. Suddenly my hotel which had been all but empty was full. It was right at the end of the traning and my wife had flown out to drive back home with me. We tried to drive down to the Myrtle Beach area, but they had road blocks a good bit out and wouldn't let us any closer.

We'd probably consider driving down actually (both the wife and I love storms and weather), but can't really afford the time off. Plus I'd hate to get my car dinged up and have to dip into the plasma fund again to fix it. :D Gotta have priorities after all.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Well, they are not fearing that Isabel will gain strength as she hits the Gulf Stream. That would be bad, of course.

Sending good vibes east,

Mark

·
Registered
388 Posts
Good Luck on the Atlantic side, been there,

done that on the gulf side. It isn't fun.

Jim

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Moebius, I've "done" a 7.1 earthquake and several in the 5+ range.

There is no comparison between those at all. Kind of like Big Wheels vs. a sports car.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Moebius
I tried that several years ago when Hugo (I think it was) hit. I was in Greenville, SC training for 5 weeks when the news came. Suddenly my hotel which had been all but empty was full. It was right at the end of the traning and my wife had flown out to drive back home with me. We tried to drive down to the Myrtle Beach area, but they had road blocks a good bit out and wouldn't let us any closer.

We'd probably consider driving down actually (both the wife and I love storms and weather), but can't really afford the time off. Plus I'd hate to get my car dinged up and have to dip into the plasma fund again to fix it. :D Gotta have priorities after all.
I lived in Charelston for several years, and Miami before that. I lucked out and missed all the storms, but have been through several near misses. My wife was in Charleston during Hugo, evacuated to Columbia, but had to be back to work the day after the storm (she was in insurance). You haven't missed anything.

Good luck to all our coastal friends.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
Moebius, I've "done" a 7.1 earthquake and several in the 5+ range.

There is no comparison between those at all. Kind of like Big Wheels vs. a sports car.
Great, now you're making me add one back on my list. :D Though I'm thinking it may be a while before I see one of that magnitude here. I'll just have to hope I catch one on vacation some day.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The 1812 Missouri earthquake rang churchbells as far away as Boston.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Quote:
The 1812 Missouri earthquake ran churchbells as far away as Boston.
Mark, we all know that you have been around for quite awhile (11500+ posts), but 1812?? :D :D :D

·
Registered
33,481 Posts
Quote:
The 1812 Missouri earthquake ran churchbells as far away as Boston.
I remember that, damn thing woke me out of a sound sleep! ;)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
RLR, I was too young to remember it, but mom told me. :p :p :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.