Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all the M-Audio Experts.

I have recently upgraded my HTPC with the Audiophile card. The Fortissimo was good, but the AP-2496 was supposed to be better, so I took the plunge.

I think I can hear a better sound from my HTPC (or at least my pocket tells me I should hear it this way :)), so I'm glad I did that. However, when I decided to make some recordings with this superior card, I came to some questions I can't find an answer to.

I wanted to transfer some of my vinyls to CDs, so I hooked up the receiver's output (normally intended for a tape deck) to the AP's analogue inputs and started to figure out how to use the Cakewalk program, which came with the card. It proved to be a bit too complicated for my needs, so I decided to use it for recording (it is still a bit more complicated than I would like it, but hey, it's a professional program, so I should be getting professional results, right?) and do the limited processing (like trimming the excess of the files, cutting it to pieces or muffling the clicks from vinyl) with much simpler Nero wave editor. Works fine.

However, for some reason I got to the point where I have to ask two major questions.

First: with all the correct settings (I hope) and all the volume control sliders in both M-Audio control panel and Cakewalk program maxed, I still have the resulting recording set too low in volume, about 10 dB lower than other CDs. Is it normal for this card? It certainly was not the case when I tried similar recording with the Fortissimo (although I didn't use Cakewalk then, but again, I tried to record with M-Audio and other programs with the same result, ~10 dB lower volume).

Second: what is the use of 24/96 capable card if I can't record with these settings. The card's drivers are supposed to be capable (that's what the manual says), there is such an option in Delta control panel, but Cakewalk (professional ? software) won't allow it, doesn't even have such an option. Or do I have something ser in a wrong way?

Can someone give me some answers. please?

Cliff? Instead of sending me the new drivers (I downloaded them from Midiman site already) with custom tailored wiruses, could you post some hints, please?

Or Wayne (Karnis)? I know that you know this stuff. Could you emerge from your dungeon for a moment, please?

Regards,

Leszek.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Leszek,

To record at 24/96 you will need software that supports that sample rate such as the pro recording software from Sonic Foundry.

Recording at –10dBV is normal for professional recordings and you will need to convert the pro recordings to consumer levels using the recording software.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Cliff said: "To record at 24/96 you will need software that supports that sample rate such as the pro recording software from Sonic Foundry."

I tried the demo for that and it works, but it costs like ~$399.00, ouch! Plus you have to use that to play it back, which pretty much sucks for playlists, etc. IMO, Cakewalk is badly named, it's anything but a Cakewalk for us mere mortals to figure out.

If you still have all the software from your SB live! card, Sonic Foundrys' Sound Forge XP 4.0 (much easier to use) will let you record @ 16-bit, 96KHz, which Winamp can playback. Then you can adjust the Winamp input plugin "Nullsoft waveform decoder" v2.0 and change "convert floating-point to 24-bit" for a poor mans' 24 bit 96KHz playback.

Dunno if it actually does anything but at least you have something to tinker with! I do notice a little better soundstaging and a tad more defined high frequencies. Be aware that recording at 96KHz doubles the file size. But who cares?!

Be aware that all the CD burner programs I've personally seen will only allow you to burn Audio CD's at 16-bit, 44.1KHz.

Karnis retreats back to the dungeon now...

"Everytime I try to get out, they pull me back in!"--Michael Corleone

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
"Everytime I try to get out, they pull me back in!"--Michael Corleone

Wayne,

I have the complete first season of The Sopranos and in one episode that was repeated about 10 times.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for your responses.

Cliff, at least now I know that the level drop is normal and not a bad setting somwhere in my software. I figured out that I can boost the level either from Cakewalk or from Nero Wave Edit, just didn't know that was necessary. Besides, I thought the Cakewalk WAS the professional software :).

Wayne, I don't have SB Live, I have a Fortissimo. There was something like a Sonic Foundry demo included on one of CDs, I believe. I never paid much attention to such complicated programs before. Now I'll have another look. I'm not going to spend the $400 for a full program though. Besides, if the original recording is done with 16 bit depth, what's the point in converting it afterwards to 24 bit? If some info was already lost because of lower resolution during recording, it won't be miraculusly restored by this conversion.

I'll try to fiddle with these anyway.

Thanks again,

Leszek.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.