Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize that this is a bit off-topic, but I wasn't sure where else to turn:

My wife wants to incorporate a gym into the new home and we've got a 11x13 room that can be used for that purpose. I'm planning to hang a TV on the wall, hang some sheet glass mirrors and incorporate it into the distributed audio system.

What I could use some help on is rubber flooring for the room. She wants to make it "authentic" for her situps, yoga, whatever. I did search for interlocking gym flooring and some of it was prohibitively expensive - as much as $7/sq ft. Any ideas on where I should look or for less expensive alternatives?

Also, the room is currently carpeted and I'd rather not rip it out just to put the flooring in. Is it reasonable to drop the flooring over the carpet - or is there anything else I can do to preserve the new carpet?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cme
I apologize that this is a bit off-topic, but I wasn't sure where else to turn:

My wife wants to incorporate a gym into the new home and we've got a 11x13 room that can be used for that purpose. I'm planning to hang a TV on the wall, hang some sheet glass mirrors and incorporate it into the distributed audio system.

What I could use some help on is rubber flooring for the room. She wants to make it "authentic" for her situps, yoga, whatever. I did search for interlocking gym flooring and some of it was prohibitively expensive - as much as $7/sq ft. Any ideas on where I should look or for less expensive alternatives?

Also, the room is currently carpeted and I'd rather not rip it out just to put the flooring in. Is it reasonable to drop the flooring over the carpet - or is there anything else I can do to preserve the new carpet?
I saw the interlocking pads in Ocean State Job Lot last weekend for about $1 a square foot...

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,608 Posts
I bought some 1/2 inch thick 2 x2 ft interlocking floor mats at Costco in their tool section. It was grey and intended for reducing fatigue in a workshop. I think the cost came out about $1 ft.

I've also seen packs of the same stuff in bright colors at Home Depot intended for kids play rooms.

I don't think you'll like the result of the tiles over a carpet. I would imagine that the joints won't stay flat. How about rolling up the carpet and storing it somewhere until you want to put the room back.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Please excuse the lame descrition I'm about to give.

I picked up some carpet and pad remnants. The carpet is really course with no real nap. I'm not sure what this type of carpet is called. I wish I could give you an example.

Anyway I put down the carpet pad on the concrete basement floor and placed the carpet on top. I used some heavy tape to hold the carpet down. This works really well and with the thick pad has the same effect as the rubber mat.

The big difference is I paid less than $30 for a 10x12 area and it looks really nice.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses, guys.

chiltown, unfortunately I live on the "wrong" coast, but that's a good idea to check overstock/liquidation stores.

BIGmouthinDC, I'll check out Costco - that store has come through for me before. I'm sure my wife would be mortified with brightly colored mats, but I'll at least take a look at those.

I was also afraid you'd say that about the carpet. I'm completely confident that I'd be able to figure out how to remove the carpet & pad, it's replacing it that scares me...

am_pcguy, are you talking about commercial carpet?

I should just buy my wife a workout mat (even those run maybe $30), but she wants more of the authentic experience.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Look around for horse stall mats. You should be able to find 4' x 6' x 1/2" mats for about $40. They are popular for home gyms and DIY olympic lifting platforms. Rubber mats are magically less expensive when they are not marketed for humans...

·
Registered
290 Posts
I am also going to put in some type of 'workout room' floor.

I have found many sites on the internet (too many to list), and can get ordered prices between $2.50 and $4.00 per sf.

You can go either tiles (mostly puzzle type) or mats (typically 4x6) or even rolls.

Consider calling some of the outfits, tell them your project and they will usually send you a sample. Then your wife can see it , step on it, etc.

Thickness and color affect the price. Black is cheap, up from there. Even the rolls come with varying degrees of color--more color flecks = more $$$

I am having a sample of a color fleck roll sent out.

Plan on removing the carpet.

Really.

If it works out, I may expand it past the workout area into the kids arts/crafts (aka spill glue on the floor) area.

Good luck.

Paul

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Quote:
I was at Costco today and did a lap around the tool aisle. I didn't spot the mats.
They are by the brooms in my Costco.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sweet. I'll run by Costco later this week.

ArmyMan, care to share some of the better (and less expensive) websites you've found? I sent away for a sample for the Roundel material suggested by eskay, and I'll keep looking around.

The_Incubator, welcome to the forums. That's good advice - I'm sure it would be cheaper if I could find flooring designed for industrial purposes instead of marketed to the individual homeowner. It would just be a matter then of securing these mats together.

·
Registered
290 Posts
CME

I've sent you a separate email. Look for it and reply, then I'll send you what I have.

I checked some of the animal related products and didn't find any 'cheaper' than the human version, but that was more of an afterthought.

Most of the stuff should be heavy enough that you won't need to secure it to the floor. (One place had 4x6 pieces that weighed 100 lbs!!!!) Warning: many of the puzzle piece types recommend a separate piece of transition edging (sloped). Not a bad idea and helps present a finished appearance, but adds $$.

Paul

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cme
The_Incubator, welcome to the forums. That's good advice - I'm sure it would be cheaper if I could find flooring designed for industrial purposes instead of marketed to the individual homeowner. It would just be a matter then of securing these mats together.
One thing about the commercial stall mats is they are HEAVY. I know for a fact the 4' x 6' x 3/4" mats are about 100lbs., so doing some real simple math I'd guess a 1/2" mat would be about 65lbs. Either way, by mass alone they'll be fairly resistant to sliding around. The obvious and inexpensive thing to do would be glue them to the floor, but I don't know if you want something that permanent. I suppose you could also lay down a few sheets of plywood as a base, and glue the mats to that. That way you'd have a nice big solid piece of padded flooring, like an independent workout platform basically, which should be really solid but still removeable.

You could also look for one mat that's big enough to cover the whole area you need. I'm used to thinking in terms of 4 x 6 or 4 x 8 mats because those are the sizes used to build lifting platforms. But they come bigger.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Paul, thanks, I sent you an email. I did see some of those 4x6 horse stall mats were 100 pounds each. Looks like local purchase is the way to go there.

I was a little concerned about the seams between the mats if they started sliding around, but it sounds like that wouldn't be much of an issue.

I was just thinking that thicker mats would work better with the trim, which is floated off the subfloor to accomodate the carpet & pad. I'll have to measure how much space I have there.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Incubator
One thing about the commercial stall mats is they are HEAVY. I know for a fact the 4' x 6' x 3/4" mats are about 100lbs., so doing some real simple math I'd guess a 1/2" mat would be about 65lbs. Either way, by mass alone they'll be fairly resistant to sliding around. The obvious and inexpensive thing to do would be glue them to the floor, but I don't know if you want something that permanent. I suppose you could also lay down a few sheets of plywood as a base, and glue the mats to that. That way you'd have a nice big solid piece of padded flooring, like an independent workout platform basically, which should be really solid but still removeable.

You could also look for one mat that's big enough to cover the whole area you need. I'm used to thinking in terms of 4 x 6 or 4 x 8 mats because those are the sizes used to build lifting platforms. But they come bigger.

Nick
Nick, I posted before I saw your reply there. Sounds like local pickup would be the way to go with some of those heavier mats.

The permanence of the installation depends on how long we live in the house (and whether my wife wins the "let's have kids" debate). I guess I'd have to get them in there and see how much they slide around. I'm not as sure about affixing them to plywood given the issue of trim height that I mentioned above. Thinking about it some more, the mats will probably have some sort of equipment on them (treadmill or weight bench or weight rack), so that should help out even more.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cme
Thanks for the responses, guys.

am_pcguy, are you talking about commercial carpet?

I should just buy my wife a workout mat (even those run maybe $30), but she wants more of the authentic experience.
Yes it is a commercial carpet, I've seen the same stuff used in the treadmill area of several gyms. I would recommend getting a couple 4x6 folding mats, I use mine quite a bit. Would your wife will compromise on the floor if she has a couple mats she can put down when needed?

·
Registered
53 Posts
CME,

I did the same thing in the house that I built (did not put mirrors on the walls). You can see images here: http://matt-hamil.smugmug.com/gallery/693926/2/30173884 .

I ordered 24x24 rubber tiles from Tuile Duro (450-473-5322). This is the same company that makes the Acoustik Mat product. The tiles are two different products, and the one I purchased for the exercise room is something they sell primarily for commercial applications (gyms and arenas).

·
Registered
185 Posts
When you were checking out equine mats did you happen to see these. Lightweight and not too bad on price. Frelonic stable mats

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the follow-up posts.

Unfortunately, my wife wouldn't be happy with commercial carpet and a smaller mat. She has an idea in her head and I've never once been able to persuade her differently when that happens. :)

Matt, I'll give Tuilo Duro a call. That's probably a bit too far for me to drive... I like what you've done with the place. Looks like it's probably time for a few more accent walls, though, huh?

I hadn't seen the Frelonic stable mats before. I like that they weigh so much less. I'm not as sure about them being softer - my wife didn't want the equipment sinking down too far. I've seen a few online places that sell stall mats, but due to shipping, I was thinking that local pickup would be the way to go. Any suggestions on finding a good local horse supplier? Maybe I'll just start thumbing through the Yellow Pages for the more rural areas surrounding Seattle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.