Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,12574,00.html

The MPAA is trying to stop the studios from mailing out DVDs for the Oscar voters to view at home on TVs. Some are worried that it ruins the work to have a widescreen film viewed on a "boob tube".

I say send them to good homes and let our CRT projectors and widescreen theaters do the work justice!!

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Actually, in the news articles I read, the bigger issue was piracy. In this day of faster and faster internet and peer-to-peer file sharing, these DVD's are leaking out like crazy.

One of the problems with no longer sending out screeners and forcing people to see them in the theaters is that a lot of smaller movies will go unseen and people tend to vote for whatever they've actually seen (which tends to be the bigger movies).

Another issue is that movies released in the first quarter of the year will be available on DVD for rental/purchase by the time oscar voters have to vote. That doesn't seem fair either since more voting members will have seen the titles and will tend to vote for what they've seen.

But then again, why do I bother? The oscars are already completely screwed up and a joke as it is! Frida won last year for best makeup?? I guess that one unibrow that Salma Hayek wore took a team of experts to design and apply. :rolleyes: Geez.....

Kal

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Kal, if you saw Salma Hayek in Frida and noticed her unibrow you were watching the wrong thing...........GRRRRRRRRRRR......

Sorry:(

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
I haven't seen Frida. Just commenting on how it's silly that such a movie won for best makeup.

Anyway, looks like it's a done deal: All the major studios have agreed to not send out screeners this year. This'll be a real death blow to the smaller independant movies. Expect the Feb '04 Oscar winners to include even more mainstream titles then ever before.

Here's the story:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ovies_eo/12601

Kal

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
It's too bad for the smaller studios but......

I saw a "screener dupe" or something that was imported from China of LOTR TT about 8 months ago long before it came out on DVD. In fact at the time it was still prevalent in theaters I think. It clearly stated at the beginning that it was for academy voters only so thats how I know where it came from.

We were so excited. We invited friends, we invited neighbors, we setup a nice party. I mean it's not every day you get to see a movie on DVD especially a highly anticipated release like LOTR TT at least 6 months before it's in the stores.

BIG MISTAKE.

Soft picture - the softest I've ever seen on DVD

Terrible sound- probably the worst I've heard on DVD but then I've never rented Celine Dion Yuch;)

No extras which was not important but the menus were also kinda screwy.

When you put substandard transfers on an 7-8' wide screen the results are terrible The guy who lent me the movie also lent me 1/2 dozen others. I watched 5 mins of a couple and gave them all back then headed to the store and rented them when they were released.

So it's sad for the studios but for myself I really couldn't care.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
I agree Energeezer, a lot of theme look like absolute crap.

But I was also fortunate enough to watch the LOTR:TTT Oscar DVD screener on my setup back in February and this was an actual duplicate of the Oscar screen so it was on two DVD's (about 8-9gigs total) with full DD5.1 sound.

It looked and sounded perfect, (except for the text "For your Consideration" that flashed on the screen for a seconds every 20 mins or so). In fact it's not quite as soft as the retail version that's out now.

I think *these* are the copies they're worried about (the exact DVD duplicates), not the highly compressed versions that often fit onto one CD (700mb).

Kal

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I think they are worried about the compressed versions, though, as they are the ones being downloaded. People don't want to download large files. Look at all the MP3 files out there. How many are encoded in APE for lossless compression? Downloaders always sacrifice quality for size and convenience.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Energeezer
Soft picture - the softest I've ever seen on DVD

Terrible sound- probably the worst I've heard on DVD but then I've never rented Celine Dion Yuch;)

When you put substandard transfers on an 7-8' wide screen the results are terrible The guy who lent me the movie also lent me 1/2 dozen others. I watched 5 mins of a couple and gave them all back then headed to the store and rented them when they were released.

So it's sad for the studios but for myself I really couldn't care.
Although sad, this doesn't surprise me. Assuming (and this is a BIG assumption) that the voters have decent and properly setup A/V equipment. How can they properly judge the movie with a sub standard transfer or sound especially in they are judging the areas of cinematography and sound. I get the feeling the voters are watching and hearing the movies on a mono 27" color TV fed with composite video.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
The way I read it, the big studios have stopped but if a smaller independent studio wants to they can continue to send out screeners if they want to. I would guess that this would help them. Now a voter has the option of watching the dvd sent to them or go through the hassle of going to see the movie. And we all know what that is like ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.